cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-09-2010, 05:42 PM   #1
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Alcohol in the home:

Do observant LDS keep alcohol in the home?

If one wishes to be liberal and understanding do you do this to accommodate business partners?

My perspective is not one of a holier than thou perspective, but a pragmatic one.

As an adult I make no issue what my friends do. They may drink or refrain, why the hell should I care. They know I simply don't and am not interested in drinking. I'm no angel and as a youth I did imbibe from time to time, but do not intend to do it again. I like having control and the benefits of inebriation are outweighed by the benefits of sobriety.

In my own home, I have a different mentality. As a youth my family did keep alcohol for entertainment even though nobody in the immediate family imbibed. When I became curious, there was a ready-made stash which nobody inventoried, so I was the talk of the town for some quality bourbon, vodka and whiskey. It was so easy and available.

For that reason alone, I don't wish to make it easy for my curious youth to imbibe. If they later drink despite my lectures of its detriments, that will be that but I am happy to live the life of a teetotaler.
Old 05-10-2010, 03:10 AM   #2
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

the previous owners left a cabinent's worth of alcohol. I showed it to my friend, who drinks. He said it was all garbage and to flush it. Actually he said, "they are really old aren't they?" So if you are looking for kosher passover wine, head to my house.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 06:32 PM   #3
RedHeadGal

RedHeadGal is on a distinguished road

I have thought before about whether I would keep alcohol in the home if I had teenagers living there. Never reached a conclusion, though. I think I still would. Maybe I would mind the bottles, though. . .

I never experimented with alcohol when I was younger. I'm not even sure why. I was never really tempted. In fact, most of my friends did so, and I was never present at the time because they almost always did it at times when I was not invited. It used to hurt my feelings a little because I thought they assumed I would be judging them when they drank, which I don't think I would have.
RedHeadGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 07:11 PM   #4
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHeadGal View Post
I have thought before about whether I would keep alcohol in the home if I had teenagers living there. Never reached a conclusion, though. I think I still would. Maybe I would mind the bottles, though. . .

I never experimented with alcohol when I was younger. I'm not even sure why. I was never really tempted. In fact, most of my friends did so, and I was never present at the time because they almost always did it at times when I was not invited. It used to hurt my feelings a little because I thought they assumed I would be judging them when they drank, which I don't think I would have.
Easy access to alcohol for teenagers is never a good thing, unless of course one wishes to promote teenage drinking.
Old 05-17-2010, 02:31 AM   #5
danimal

danimal is an unknown quantity at this point

My parents had a pretty good liquor supply, mostly for cooking, but also alcoholic gifts that they had received from non-member friends. I never tried alcohol as a teenager and honestly never thought to raid the supply, though I'm sure nobody would have noticed if I had.
Tobias: You know, Lindsay, as a therapist, I have advised a number of couples to explore an open relationship where the couple remains emotionally committed, but free to explore extra-marital encounters.

Lindsay: Well, did it work for those people?

Tobias: No, it never does. I mean, these people somehow delude themselves into thinking it might, but...but it might work for us.
danimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 05:05 AM   #6
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by danimal View Post
My parents had a pretty good liquor supply, mostly for cooking, but also alcoholic gifts that they had received from non-member friends. I never tried alcohol as a teenager and honestly never thought to raid the supply, though I'm sure nobody would have noticed if I had.
and perhaps I was the unusually wayward soul in that regard, are you comfortable taking that chance with your children?

My parents were not LDS but never cooked with alcohol. Of course, my mother, bless her soul, was not especially gifted in the kitchen.
Old 05-18-2010, 05:08 AM   #7
danimal

danimal is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
and perhaps I was the unusually wayward soul in that regard, are you comfortable taking that chance with your children?

My parents were not LDS but never cooked with alcohol. Of course, my mother, bless her soul, was not especially gifted in the kitchen.
During the holidays my parents would add rum to our bouche de Noel and some other desserts. Always made the holidays better.

I don't think your teenage drinking is particularly wayward from a normative standpoint. Other than a small bottle of cooking wine, I don't think we have any alcohol in the home. Teenagers can get alcohol so easily outside of the home, I'm not sure how much of a difference it would make. But I think your position is reasonable.
Tobias: You know, Lindsay, as a therapist, I have advised a number of couples to explore an open relationship where the couple remains emotionally committed, but free to explore extra-marital encounters.

Lindsay: Well, did it work for those people?

Tobias: No, it never does. I mean, these people somehow delude themselves into thinking it might, but...but it might work for us.
danimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 03:42 PM   #8
MikeWaters
Demiurge

We always kept alcohol in the home growing up, and were encouraged to use it frequently. Daily in fact. It was called "Listerine".
Old 05-18-2010, 03:50 PM   #9
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
We always kept alcohol in the home growing up, and were encouraged to use it frequently. Daily in fact. It was called "Listerine".
Is Listerine Ethanol? I imagine it is but perhaps it's not. I doubt it's Methanol.
Old 05-18-2010, 04:20 PM   #10
MikeWaters
Demiurge

you have three choices: 1) methanol, 2) ethanol, 3) isopropyl (rubbing alcohol).

Which do you think it is?