cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-10-2008, 06:28 PM   #31
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levin View Post
Of course they made the connection, but that does not mean that Obama intended for them to make the connection. He knew it was a dumb thing to say, and I agree that's why he threw on the stinky fish comment. But not in a million years did Obama intentionally make an implicit dig at Palin as a pig. McCain is idiotic to play this card, and his new ad is disgusting politics. This will backfire against McCain. Does he want to win votes? He should have come out and said, "I know Obama did not intend to call my runningmate a pig. End of story." This approach would have worked wonderfully well: It's honest, magnanimous, and it shines a light on the Obama comment, which was dumb.
Whether intentional or not, it was insensitive, especially given the audience reaction, which was cheering at their candidate calling Palin a pig. Wow, just wow.

Obama is now reaping what he sows (remember his campaign accusing Bill Clinton of playing the race card?). Obama should apologize, at least for his poor judgement. He should come out and say, "Yesterday I mispoke. It was never my intention to call Gov Palin a pig and I apologize if it was taken that way." This would be in keeping with his initial intention to take the high road. America would love that.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 06:50 PM   #32
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Of course they made the connection, but that does not mean that Obama intended for them to make the connection. He knew it was a dumb thing to say, and I agree that's why he threw on the stinky fish comment. But not in a million years did Obama intentionally make an implicit dig at Palin as a pig. McCain is idiotic to play this card, and his new ad is disgusting politics. This will backfire against McCain. Does he want to win votes? He should have come out and said, "I know Obama did not intend to call my runningmate a pig. End of story." This approach would have worked wonderfully well: It's honest, magnanimous, and it shines a light on the Obama comment, which was dumb.
I don't agree with the McCain camp's "we're outraged" approach, but yours is equally inane.

What McCain-Palin ought to do is make fun of this. One commentator suggested passing out pig noses at their next rally; another, to use Miss Piggy in a campaign ad. Humor wins out in situations like these.

Ironically, I thought that's what Obama was going to do today. But he began his response by saying, "“See it would be funny, it would be funny except, of course the news media decided that was the lead story yesterday. The McCain campaign would much rather have the story about phony and foolish diversions than about the future.”

He should've said, "That is too funny. They don't even get it!" ... laughed it off and moved on.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 01:47 AM   #33
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

This is just high comedy. All the fake outrage and the political correctness and all the hot air from the talking heads. This is going to be a great fall.
Old 09-11-2008, 05:39 AM   #34
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
This is just high comedy. All the fake outrage and the political correctness and all the hot air from the talking heads. This is going to be a great fall.
Almost all political outrage is fake. Politics is the art of making fake look real.
Old 09-11-2008, 12:19 PM   #35
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road

http://wcbstv.com/campaign08/barack.....2.814491.html

Above are his comments on Letterman last night. I think that what he said initially is subject to interpretation and misinterpretation which is the risk you run when you choose your words carelessly on the stump. Just ask George "Macaca" Allen. It happens to almost all politicians which is why Obama should have just said "poor choice of words which were not intended as they are now being reported." He should just leave it at that. (and when I say should, I mean if he wants it to go away).

It seems obvious to me that the Obama camp has been waiting for some sort of moment to grab the front page by taking on the press over a misreported statement or one they believed was being given a particularly unfair treatment. That makes sense to me. I don't think this was the moment to do it, however, and I think it is backfiring.

What he wanted was to reap the benefits of a backlash, which under the right circumstances he could. Instead he is almost singlehandedly keeping it in the news cycle and the more he defends it and acts outraged at the press the more it makes it seem that he thinks it was very serious. This doesn't go under the heading of "huge blunder" but it is a miscalculation on his part. He needs to stop talking about it and answering questions but that is hard because he just keeps saying more and inviting more questions.

The statement he makes to Letterman in the article above, in context, is that if he had meant it the way it is beign reported then McCain would be the pig and Palin would be the lipstick, following that illogic he says. But not only will those comments not remain long in that context as they are reported, they also make it seem like he always knew what he meant. He is digging this hole deeper for no good reason. Barrack, just shut up about this. Seriously.
Old 09-16-2008, 03:00 AM   #36
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

The final word?

http://www.heraldextra.com/content/view/280629/36/
Old 09-16-2008, 03:11 AM   #37
exUte

exUte can only hope to improve
Default Right, not intended.

Quote:
For someone as smart as the messiah, he didn't intend the connection? Levin, dude, wake up.
Old 09-16-2008, 03:12 AM   #38
exUte

exUte can only hope to improve
Default Signed,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Almost all political outrage is fake. Politics is the art of making fake look real.
Pamela Anderson.
Old 09-16-2008, 03:21 AM   #39
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
The final word?
We can only hope.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 02:43 PM   #40
DNA

DNA is on a distinguished road

Quote:

LOL.

I'm offended and outraged because I love to be offended and outraged. It feels good. People look at me when I'm outraged. I'm offended when people don't look at me when I'm outraged.

Did I tell you? I'm also a politician. Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.
DNA is offline   Reply With Quote