cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Why have the Cougars' fallen/struggled
Better MWC Competition 13 46.43%
Loss of Ricks football program 8 28.57%
Tighter Honor Code restrictions/enforcement 10 35.71%
Incompetent Coaches 9 32.14%
Incompetent Administration 7 25.00%
Lack of talent in players 9 32.14%
Poor Scheme selection for talent level 6 21.43%
Loss of LaVell 5 17.86%
Injuries 3 10.71%
Other 8 28.57%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-03-2006, 06:41 PM   #1
TheSizzle36

TheSizzle36 is on a distinguished road
Default REAL Roots of Cougars' Struggles

What are the top three reasons for the Cougars' struggles in football over the last 7 or 8 years? Just curious. Go ahead and pick the top 3 reasons why.
TheSizzle36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 08:19 PM   #2
Venkman

Venkman is on a distinguished road

you guys that choose other - please elaborate. I'm interested...
Venkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 08:26 PM   #3
TheSizzle36

I was one who selected Other...

I should have put an option as the evolution of the college football game, in that the environment in which BYU did it's damage before has made it harder for them to do today.
Old 08-03-2006, 08:29 PM   #4
TheSizzle36

Also, if somebody wants to link this thread to CB, it would be interesting to see some discussion of this and get the poll results higher.
Old 08-03-2006, 08:29 PM   #5
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default As my 3 I chose

improvement of conference foes, the impact of the HC and other.

I define other as the changing nature of football. BYU had a tactical advantage for a very long time. BYU football, at least the part we are talking about, was established on a passing offense that the opponents were unable to defend. Call it revolutionary, call it that BYU always had great assistants funneling through the program or call it luck. But the reality is that until about the early 90's, BYU was able to move the ball and score on anyone and could do it without having better athletes than the opponent. I believe that as more and more teams began using the west coast offense more and more teams learned how to defend it. As college football evolved towards more and more speed and athleticism instead of overwhelming power, this negatively impacted BYU. I think the coaching staff began to react to this trend, and we saw that in the '96 team. However, I feel that the issues with the HC started mounting at that time. The attrition of non-LDS skill players over the past decade has been flat out devestating. This decade we have endured not only that trend but also attrition of LDS players, which also hurt. I think the LDS trend was an anomaly due to the program uncertainity and poor leadership. I think that nut is being solved. I am hopefull that Bronco is solving the other puzzle with respect to the non-LDS kids. I was worried beyond all description the past 18 months that the would stop recruiting them for all intents and purposes, but I must say that his recruiting for this upcoming season indicates that he has not. In 4 years we can evualuate if his new style is trully bringing in kids who can make it through BYU.
Old 08-03-2006, 08:33 PM   #6
tooblue

tooblue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkman
you guys that choose other - please elaborate. I'm interested...
I voted other because I think it's due to a combination of several items to choose from.

I would say it was a combo of better competition plus the loss of Ricks football which meant a significant drop in talented depth needed to mitigate missions and HC casualties.
tooblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 08:40 PM   #7
tooblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooblue
I voted other because I think it's due to a combination of several items to choose from.

I would say it was a combo of better competition plus the loss of Ricks football which meant a significant drop in talented depth needed to mitigate missions and HC casualties.
Talented depth is the only thing that really seperates the best BCS programs and everyone else ... it was the difference in the BC game last season.

Last edited by tooblue; 08-03-2006 at 08:52 PM.
Old 08-03-2006, 08:41 PM   #8
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I don't buy the Ricks belief.....

as the woes started a good half decade before football at Ricks was discontinued. Even when Lavell was picking up JCs frequently, the majority came from outside of Ricks.

Additionally, I think BYU could still pick up JC kids and stow away LDS kids at Snow or College of Eastern Arizona.

I don't want to turn this into a thread about Gary Crowton, but I understand that he did not want to use JC transfers until he knew he needed to upgrade in a hurry in 2004. Perhaps Lavell left the dude with too many albatrosses in the forms of white mormon kids from Orem around his neck and Gary would not cut players, but clearly I think the guy should have gotten more JC players earlier. However, it is likely he would have picked some bad apples that were not good fits.

I think for many reasons BYU will not seek after JC transfers like Lavell did. I think the biggest reason is academic issues.
Old 08-03-2006, 08:43 PM   #9
mpfunk

mpfunk is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to mpfunk

I enjoyed choosing incompetent administration. I still stand by my claim that you should hire danoconda as the AD and let him put into place his vision of BYU football that will convert the entire world to the LDS church and make you bigger then Notre Dame.
mpfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 08:51 PM   #10
tooblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96
as the woes started a good half decade before football at Ricks was discontinued. Even when Lavell was picking up JCs frequently, the majority came from outside of Ricks.

Additionally, I think BYU could still pick up JC kids and stow away LDS kids at Snow or College of Eastern Arizona.

I don't want to turn this into a thread about Gary Crowton, but I understand that he did not want to use JC transfers until he knew he needed to upgrade in a hurry in 2004. Perhaps Lavell left the dude with too many albatrosses in the forms of white mormon kids from Orem around his neck and Gary would not cut players, but clearly I think the guy should have gotten more JC players earlier. However, it is likely he would have picked some bad apples that were not good fits.

I think for many reasons BYU will not seek after JC transfers like Lavell did. I think the biggest reason is academic issues.
I buy it from the stand point that it was better than a quality program ... you woefully underestimate the quality of walk-ons etc. from Ricks that added great depth to spell your #1 and #2 guy for a series here and there ... Lavell left the cupboard bare due in part to the fact that one of the few cupboards he knew of was no longer there.

Last edited by tooblue; 08-03-2006 at 08:54 PM.