cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Current Events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-11-2010, 09:14 PM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Happy Non-Veterans Day

Is it just me, or should there be a day to celebrate Non-Veterans?

Is it really fair that Veterans get all the praise, while the rest of us non-Veteran schmucks get nothing, and have to stand with our hands in our pockets, like idiots?

HERE'S TO YOU BILLY, WHO WENT TO COLLEGE INSTEAD OF ENLISTING!

HERE'S TO YOU SAM, WHO GOT A MEDICAL EXEMPTION FOR FLAT FEET DURING THE DRAFT!

HERE'S TO YOU JOEY, WHO DECIDED HE DIDN'T FIT INTO A MILITARY CULTURE!

HERE'S TO YOU FREDERICK, WHO TWEETS SHOUTOUTS TO THE VETERANS , WAVES AN AMERICAN FLAG, SINGS THE NATIONAL ANTHEM LOUDLY AT BALL GAMES, AND VOTES STRAIGHT-TICKET REPUBLICAN!

"Non-Veterans Day" - the patriotic holiday for the rest of us. Do I ask too much?
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 01:25 AM   #2
Venkman

Venkman is on a distinguished road

I'm sometimes embarassed I didn't serve. I almost joined the ROTC at BYU, I almost joined the Guard after the mission. Of course you don't get credit nor do you deserve any for almost doing something.

This has caused me to be a lot less hawkish in the last few years. That along with the thought "do I want my 9 year old getting shot at in some God forsaken middle east country ten years from now?" Answer: hell no.
Old 11-12-2010, 01:49 AM   #3
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I was in the ROTC for a short time. Does that qualify for "almost-Veteran status"?

I sure would hate any of my kids to die in a war. But what parent wouldn't? Or hasn't?

It pisses me off that the so many in the world so easily dismiss the sacrifice of blood and treasure from Americans (esp. the blood), and just say we are in it for money or oil or world domination.

They're lucky we don't just blow the place up and go home. Instead we sacrifice lives to try and make their world better. At least I hope that's what we are doing.

There's not any possible thing in Afghanistan that we want.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 02:19 AM   #4
Venkman

Venkman is on a distinguished road

I agree with you in that it pisses me off when much of the world and many in our own country dismiss the U.S. as imperialists and agressors. I am grateful for those who have fought.

I'm just saying that while our motives may be noble, many of these wars are the wrong policy, including Afghanistan. I'm not an isolationist, but I'm less and less of an interventionist when it comes to foreign policy. My shift is due in part to the fact that I was not willing to serve myself so why should I expect others to.
Old 11-12-2010, 02:48 PM   #5
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Actually there is a huge deposit of rare metals, including copper in Afghanistan, to the tune of about $1 Trillion.

But your point is valid. When I converse with those serving in the military, I sense a general purpose, a general nobility and a desire to do good, despite the horrible actions they must take from time to time.

I have not served and would have served as an intelligence officer or a pilot. My son desires desperately to be an officer by matriculating at the service academy. I am supportive only because it is desirable for each person to have his dream and to pursue it. But he believes it will be a noble purpose. I show him works which demonstrate how horrible real war is, and how pointless it often seems. I pray if he does this that his seven years of service pass quickly.

I think I would have served as a Tahitian translator to fight those evil Polynesians should they attack our beaches.