cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Current Events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-24-2010, 08:26 PM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default The Victory Mosque

This thing has really picked up political steam.

I was just emailed this video. Almost 4 million views.

And you have Obama weighing in with support, although he later claims that he was articulating general principles of liberty, and not supporting the mosque specifically.

I'm sensitive to this, because us LDS folks have seen many a temple blocked or protested against.

On the other hand, I'm trying to imagine how Muslims would feel if the shoe was on the other foot. I'm thinking they would not be nearly as accommodating. Call me crazy.

And the other thing is this: as much as this thing has blown up, I can't imagine that I would believe it was in my religious community's best interest to build the mosque/center there.

Muslim countries don't even allow freedom of religion!

My opinion is that as long as you have the legal right to build, you can. But that doesn't mean that people have to like you, or cooperate, or otherwise legally not impede you.

If you do something that is in bad taste, you can expect to receive comments and reaction.

You know there are many things about Islam and Muslims that are problematic. All you need do is look at the LDS policy of not teaching the gospel to Muslims. This was a specific instruction from my mission president, and was explained as a church-wide policy.

Now on to the smaller picture--do you need more proof at what a complete amateur this president is? He is awful.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 10:10 PM   #2
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

btw, I think it is interesting that this Brit thinks that Americans naturally agree that the Nazi(-ish) party(ies) are (or ought to be) banned.

He doesn't realize that we have a much more freedom-loving society than that. We have all kinds of neo-nazis running around.

It goes to show the difference in mentality between the typical European and the typical American.

Like the banning of burkhas in France. No way most Americans would support that, even if they don't like burkhas.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 01:49 AM   #3
wuapinmon

wuapinmon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Like the banning of burkhas in France. No way most Americans would support that, even if they don't like burkhas.
That's the core of it all though, right? I just have this feeling of knowing that ultimately we'll come to our senses and see this as so "American" that we'll actually allow this to be built there. Not that it matters, but some dead guys who started this whole game would be proud; maybe Voltaire too. For my part, I think they can build wherever, but I just wish they wouldn't.
wuapinmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 03:03 PM   #4
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

It's in New York city, and a small building by that city's standards. Four blocks? You might as well be in New Jersey. It's a bit of an act of fitna, but who cares. NYC gets too much attention.