cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-11-2008, 07:01 PM   #11
CardiacCoug

CardiacCoug is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueHair View Post
It's not an exact comparison. It is a good comparison because it gives an example of another group that was singled out by the majority for no apparent reason. Blacks and gays have always been thought of as second class citizens. The hope is that when the homophobes quit seeking to hurt homosexuals, they will be able to find equality like black people did when racists weren't allowed to make laws to harm them. Prop 8 supporters are homophobes if not bigots. Statements like, "gays want society to legitimize their lifestyle" is homophobic. Olbermann hit the nail on the head when he used the golden rule.
I agree. Anybody who calls being gay a "lifestyle" is an idiot.

I don't think the comparison between blacks and gays is too far off. I think people have evolutionarily advantageous, natural aversions to people of different ethnicity and to homosexuality (if you're straight). Intelligent, moral people recognize that these natural aversions to people who are of a different race or sexual orientation are wrong and need to be overcome.
CardiacCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 07:09 PM   #12
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Tick View Post
I don't understand how Prop. 8 = Homophobe...

I voted yes on 8, I have 2 gay uncles...I don't fear them or the othery gay people I associate with.

How does this make me a phobe again?
We went over this on here a few days ago and the Liberals and "intellectuals" and others in the "progressive" crowd have decided that if you're in favor of Prop 8 that you're a bigot and that's that.
Old 11-11-2008, 07:15 PM   #13
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardiacCoug View Post
Intelligent, moral people recognize that these natural aversions to people who are of a different race or sexual orientation are wrong and need to be overcome.
As opposed to the rest of us unintelligent, amoral troglodytes.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 07:22 PM   #14
CardiacCoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
As opposed to the rest of us unintelligent, amoral troglodytes.
Yes. You think these natural aversions should be nurtured, developed, enhanced at times, and even formalized into gospel principles when possible.
Old 11-11-2008, 07:40 PM   #15
BlueHair

BlueHair is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Tick View Post
I don't understand how Prop. 8 = Homophobe...

I voted yes on 8, I have 2 gay uncles...I don't fear them or the othery gay people I associate with.

How does this make me a phobe again?
Because you are afraid if gay people are allowed to marry they will be considered normal. Your kids might become gay. Schools might teach gay. You are afraid they might want to attend your church. Just because you associate with gay people doesn't mean you aren't a homophobe. You are comfortable knowing you are better than they are. The thought of equality scares you to death.

I have yet to hear an anti-gay marriage person make any argument that wasn't based out of fear or bigotry. Either the gays are going to ruin society or God is going to punish you for allowing them to marry.
BlueHair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 07:56 PM   #16
Tex

Quote:
Yes. You think these natural aversions should be nurtured, developed, enhanced at times, and even formalized into gospel principles when possible.
That's a wonderfully broad and vague straw man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueHair View Post
I have yet to hear an anti-gay marriage person make any argument that wasn't based out of fear or bigotry.
Only because that is the name you've arbitrarily decided to give it.

- Cali Coug

- Brigham Young
Old 11-11-2008, 08:04 PM   #17
CardiacCoug

I don't hate Mormons. I have some relatives and good friends that are Mormons. I think Mormons should have the same rights as non-Mormons.

I just don't approve of the Mormon lifestyle. I don't want my kids taught that being a Mormon is "normal." I don't want them to read stories about Mormons in school. I don't think Mormons should be able to adopt kids. If we let Mormons marry and let Mormonism be normalized, it will be terrible for families across this country.

Gee, why are Mormons upset by this stance? I don't want to infringe on the rights of Mormons in any way. I just want to protect my kids and my religion.
Old 11-11-2008, 08:07 PM   #18
Tex

Quote:
I don't hate Mormons.
*rolls eyes*

I don't hate pedophiles. I have some relatives and good friends that are pedophiles. I think pedophiles should have the same rights as non-pedophiles.

I just don't approve of the pedophile lifestyle. I don't want my kids taught that being a pedophile is "normal." I don't want them to read stories about pedophiles in school. I don't think pedophiles should be able to adopt kids. If we let pedophiles marry and let pedophilia be normalized, it will be terrible for families across this country.

Gee, why are pedophiles upset by this stance? I don't want to infringe on the rights of pedophiles in any way. I just want to protect my kids and my religion.

- Cali Coug

- Brigham Young
Old 11-11-2008, 08:09 PM   #19
CardiacCoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
*rolls eyes*

I don't hate pedophiles. I have some relatives and good friends that are pedophiles. I think pedophiles should have the same rights as non-pedophiles.

I just don't approve of the pedophile lifestyle. I don't want my kids taught that being a pedophile is "normal." I don't want them to read stories about pedophiles in school. I don't think pedophiles should be able to adopt kids. If we let pedophiles marry and let pedophilia be normalized, it will be terrible for families across this country.

Gee, why are pedophiles upset by this stance? I don't want to infringe on the rights of pedophiles in any way. I just want to protect my kids and my religion.
Homosexual = pedophile. I think plenty of people who died in the 1800s probably agree with you on that.
Old 11-11-2008, 08:12 PM   #20
Tex

Quote:
Homosexual = pedophile. I think plenty of people who died in the 1800s probably agree with you on that.
No, they aren't equal. That's the point, genius.

Pedophilia has as much to do with homosexuality as black civil rights or anti-Mormon bigotry has to do with homosexuality.

- Cali Coug

- Brigham Young