cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Art/Movies/Media/Music/Books
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-08-2007, 02:57 PM   #11
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

I have nothing to add other than that Creekster is right on all accounts. It is entertaining and has nothing against God. The problem with Pullman's books is not atheism, but he can't write for crap. His writing is some of the worst fantasy composition I've read. Contrived and leaves my nine year old scratching his head. He complains about CS Lewis, but boy does he hit you over the head.
Old 12-08-2007, 03:06 PM   #12
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
I have nothing to add other than that Creekster is right on all accounts. It is entertaining and has nothing against God. The problem with Pullman's books is not atheism, but he can't write for crap. His writing is some of the worst fantasy composition I've read. Contrived and leaves my nine year old scratching his head. He complains about CS Lewis, but boy does he hit you over the head.
So let me ask you this.....for someone who hasnt read the books (namely, me), do you recommend the movie? Putting all the controversy aside, is it a good movie? Is it worth the time?

As I mentioned earlier, I usually use Nicole Kidman as a barometer for movies that I shouldn't bother to see, so I am wondering if I should make an exception this time. The trailer is well edited. It makes the movie look pretty interesting.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 03:10 PM   #13
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

So is it fair to say that the people who are out warning the masses against The Golden Compass did little-to-no research concerning its actual content?

Sounds like the same people who write anti-Mormon literature yet refuse to read the Book of Mormon.

And on a side note, don't forget that Harry Potter will lead your children to witchcraft.

Hope to see all of you at the rapture,
ute4ever
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 03:43 PM   #14
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
So let me ask you this.....for someone who hasnt read the books (namely, me), do you recommend the movie? Putting all the controversy aside, is it a good movie? Is it worth the time?

As I mentioned earlier, I usually use Nicole Kidman as a barometer for movies that I shouldn't bother to see, so I am wondering if I should make an exception this time. The trailer is well edited. It makes the movie look pretty interesting.
I saw it with my children who both enjoyed the movie. It was fast-paced, well-edited, visually stunning and well-acted. The content was decent, even though the obvious symbolism hits with a ton of bricks. In fact, I recommend the movie over the books. I have not finished them as the writing is tedious.
Old 12-08-2007, 03:45 PM   #15
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by ute4ever View Post
So is it fair to say that the people who are out warning the masses against The Golden Compass did little-to-no research concerning its actual content?

Sounds like the same people who write anti-Mormon literature yet refuse to read the Book of Mormon.

And on a side note, don't forget that Harry Potter will lead your children to witchcraft.

Hope to see all of you at the rapture,
ute4ever
The only people advising against these works are wacko evangelicals and fundamentalist wackos. Normally educated persons won't find it objectionable, as most children will miss the atheism, or the mean "god". And adults can read and think as they wish. Fundies are morons.
Old 12-08-2007, 04:27 PM   #16
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Arch is a little harsh, IMO, but correct that Pullman's writing isn't the greatest. On a recent car trip we listened to another Pullman book and it was AWFUL. Very poorly written and I would not recommend it. IN fact, it was so bad that I have no interest in reading anything else by him. By comparison, I thought His Dark Materials/Golden Compass was pretty good.

The movie stands alone reasonably well, IMO, but I have read (listened to) the book, so its hard for me to be completely objective.
Old 12-08-2007, 04:43 PM   #17
woot

woot is on a distinguished road

I read a good review that talked about how the movie basically eliminates the background and cohesion behind many of the characters, while insisting on throwing every single character from the book into the movie. I've considered seeing it, but the consensus seems to be that it's not as good as Narnia, and I couldn't make it past the first hour of that movie, so I'll probably pass.

The review I read is here (warning: written by a liberal atheist science professor)
woot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 04:52 PM   #18
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by woot View Post
I read a good review that talked about how the movie basically eliminates the background and cohesion behind many of the characters, while insisting on throwing every single character from the book into the movie. I've considered seeing it, but the consensus seems to be that it's not as good as Narnia, and I couldn't make it past the first hour of that movie, so I'll probably pass.

The review I read is here (warning: written by a liberal atheist science professor)

That review was not unfair, although I liked it more than he did. The movie does feel a bit rushed and the knowledge you have from the book probably goes a long way to filling in things that you really don't get from the film alone. It reminded me of Dune in that way. WHen my wife and I saw Dune (lo those many years ago) she had no idea what was happening because she had not read the book. Afterwards I explained it all to her and then she got it, but the movie didn't stand alone that well. THis movie isn't nearly as bad as Dune, but it does have a bit of that problem. I still recommend it, even to Woot.
Old 12-08-2007, 05:02 PM   #19
woot

woot is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
That review was not unfair, although I liked it more than he did. The movie does feel a bit rushed and the knowledge you have from the book probably goes a long way to filling in things that you really don't get from the film alone. It reminded me of Dune in that way. WHen my wife and I saw Dune (lo those many years ago) she had no idea what was happening because she had not read the book. Afterwards I explained it all to her and then she got it, but the movie didn't stand alone that well. THis movie isn't nearly as bad as Dune, but it does have a bit of that problem. I still recommend it, even to Woot.
Yea, I know how that goes, having actually enjoyed the Da Vinci Code movie despite recognizing that it is way too fast-paced (or at least non-expository) for someone who's not read the book to appreciate what was going on.

I would probably read the Golden Compass over watching the movie, but it just doesn't seem like my kind of thing. Next semester is a lighter load for me so if I finish my giant and growing stack of neglected books I might think about it.
woot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 03:37 AM   #20
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ute4ever View Post
Considering the warnings came out before the film did, I think it's safe to say that the parties responsible were basing their public service announcements on the books, not the films. Whether they actually read the books is debatable. I know that some of the leaders did, or at least claim that they did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
The only people advising against these works are wacko evangelicals and fundamentalist wackos. Normally educated persons won't find it objectionable
Hm. I don't know about that, but I can't tell if you're referring to the books or the film.

Personally, I found Pullman's writing underwhelming and the story itself uncomfortable, though I'm not sure I would say I find the work objectionable.

There are many even outside of evangelical fundamentalism that would find Pullman's final depiction of God, at the end of the third book, quite disturbing. And aside from religious elements, the violence and sexuality associated with the children would also be upsetting to some. I don't know how much of this will transfer to the film versions, though.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote