cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Art/Movies/Media/Music/Books
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-14-2007, 07:26 PM   #11
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
I dont even think it is possible to have not seen the Karate kid. Is it?
True. I'll admit, I did a half assed job of reading your introduction and got straight to the list.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 07:31 PM   #12
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBlue View Post
True. I'll admit, I did a half assed job of reading your introduction and got straight to the list.
No worries.

I am announcing a change to the Official Introduction, anyway, so look for it soon....

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 07:50 PM   #13
Surfah
Master

Surfah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Surfah Send a message via MSN to Surfah

Quote:
That is completely related.....the skate sequences in GTC are basically all the Bones Brigade. I had old Bones Brigade stuff on Beta, that's how old those memories are.

Interestingly, although not a skater for Powell-Peralta, there is a cool article on Christian Hosoi in this month's Los Angeles magazine. It talks about his life during and after prison, and how he still skates and what he has been doing lately. there are even some pics of those famous Air Christ moves he did in front of the Christ statue in Rio. Classic 80s skate stuff.
Sweet movies indeed. I always wanted a Free Christian Hosoi shirt. Man those were the days. I'll never forget my two first boards, a Santa Cruz Jeff Kendal and my Powell Peralta Tony Hawk. Also had a Lance Mountain mini.

Somebody uploaded all of the movie in parts. Sweet.

Charles Barkley: "20 pts and 10 rebounds will get you through also!"
Surfah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 08:13 PM   #14
TripletDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfah33 View Post
Sweet movies indeed. I always wanted a Free Christian Hosoi shirt. Man those were the days. I'll never forget my two first boards, a Santa Cruz Jeff Kendal and my Powell Peralta Tony Hawk. Also had a Lance Mountain mini.

Somebody uploaded all of the movie in parts. Sweet.
My first two boards: Vision (Mark Gonzalez) and Powell Peralta (Bones Ripper)....I still have a Ripper today, but obviously not the original one from the 80s.

An 80s board now is hilarious. Such a tank. And what was up with all the rails, tails, and nose? No wonder they weighed so much.

My 80s Ripper had a Nose Bone, Ugly Stix, rooster tail, Tracker ultra-lites, Bones 3 street wheels with german speed bearings.

My current Ripper has Independents, Pig wheels, and Bones Reds (or Swiss, cannot remember). Pretty much the bare Bones, literally.

Our YM went to the Etnies park in Lake Forest last month. Lots of fun. Lots of pain.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
Old 11-14-2007, 08:20 PM   #15
Surfah
Master

Surfah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Surfah Send a message via MSN to Surfah

Quote:
My first two boards: Vision (Mark Gonzalez) and Powell Peralta (Bones Ripper)....I still have a Ripper today, but obviously not the original one from the 80s.

An 80s board now is hilarious. Such a tank. And what was up with all the rails, tails, and nose? No wonder they weighed so much.

My 80s Ripper had a Nose Bone, Ugly Stix, rooster tail, Tracker ultra-lites, Bones 3 street wheels with german speed bearings.

My current Ripper has Independents, Pig wheels, and Bones Reds (or Swiss, cannot remember). Pretty much the bare Bones, literally.

Our YM went to the Etnies park in Lake Forest last month. Lots of fun. Lots of pain.
Sweet I had Tracker and Venture trucks back in the day. Don't remember what wheels I had but I had swiss bearings. Ugly sticks, man that takes me back. I took them all off my boards. I actually painted my Tony Hawk board to clean it up and sold it to a friend.

My current set up is a Santa Cruz Skateboarding is not a crime deck with matching wheels with pig high oinktane bearings and Independent trucks. Though it sits in the closet as I am getting to the point where I just hurt myself. I mostly keep it around so someday I can pull it out and bust out a pop shove it or kick flip when I have kids they'll think I am cool.

Charles Barkley: "20 pts and 10 rebounds will get you through also!"
Surfah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 08:49 PM   #16
TripletDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfah33 View Post
Sweet I had Tracker and Venture trucks back in the day. Don't remember what wheels I had but I had swiss bearings. Ugly sticks, man that takes me back. I took them all off my boards. I actually painted my Tony Hawk board to clean it up and sold it to a friend.

My current set up is a Santa Cruz Skateboarding is not a crime deck with matching wheels with pig high oinktane bearings and Independent trucks. Though it sits in the closet as I am getting to the point where I just hurt myself. I mostly keep it around so someday I can pull it out and bust out a pop shove it or kick flip when I have kids they'll think I am cool.
eventually, everyone took them off because we all realized they served absolutely no purpose other than to weigh down the deck.

You either had Uglies or the alternative....Gorilla Ribs.

Looking back, I dont get the 80s fascination with heavy decks.

If you can do a kick flip, you have already impressed me. I am not that skilled. I can do shove its, but when I try to add the pop....well, not so much....I guess this is why I have a hard time with kick flips, too. My ollie comes and goes.

Old 11-14-2007, 09:58 PM   #17
landpoke

landpoke is on a distinguished road
Default How about The Jericho Mile

TV movie that you see every now and again on cable. Directed by Michael Mann. It's about a guy in prison who's becomes a world class runner.
landpoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 10:37 PM   #18
mpfunk

mpfunk is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to mpfunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by landpoke View Post
TV movie that you see every now and again on cable. Directed by Michael Mann. It's about a guy in prison who's becomes a world class runner.
I figured that you only enjoyed movies with exposed DDD's in them, either that or elicit acts with sheep. So did the destruction of the Cowboys and the end of Crazy Joe Glenn force you from utefans.net to the Non-Mullah Board of the Fighting Mullahs.

Watch out it may seem safe here, but you will still be offered some great business opportunities here too. Remember we are all an MLMer.
mpfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 10:42 PM   #19
TripletDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpfunk View Post
I figured that you only enjoyed movies with exposed DDD's in them
I have never appeared in any movies. What do you mean?

Old 11-15-2007, 01:47 AM   #20
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
We all know The Natural, Pride of the Yankees, The Longest Yard, Slapshot, Chariots of Fire, Bull Durham, Caddyshack, The Champ, and many of the other sports classics.

Here is my list of 5 sports movies that you may not have seen yet, but should get around to seeing because, for one reason or another, they are entertaining movies. They are in no particular order. Some of these movies may actually be fairly popular, so I could be off a bit. Please feel free to add to the list.

1. Bang the Drum Slowly: movie based on the New York Mammoths (eerily similar uniforms to the New York Yankees). The original was a TV movie with Paul Newman. The remake was done with Robert DeNiro. Both are really well done and available on DVD. The movie is about the relationship between two battery-mates as one struggles with illness and the other struggles to help him keep it a secret. It is definitely a tear jerker. If you are looking for a baseball movie that ends with a home run to win the world series, as well as a montage showing the team winning lots of games and moving up in the standings, this one isnt for you.

2. Breaking Away: admittedly, CG has its share of cyclists and Euro poseurs, so perhaps this movie is already well-known here. However, for those that do not know this movie, it is a great story based around the actual "Little 500" that occurs at Indiana University. The story deals with a group of high schoolers that are recently graduated, need to find direction, and use cycling as a measure of personal redemption amidst the social tension between the university elite and local blue collar townsfolk. The culminating race scene is both touching and inspiring. You need not be a fan of cycling to appreciate this movie. Also, you will likely recognize many of the actors even though they are all young kids in this movie. It even features a young Jackie Earle Haley, who had obviously moved to Indiana from Southern California, where he was a member of the Bears Little League team, and flew to Japan for an exhibition game, and made out with a local asian teenager who smoked cigarettes.

3. Brian's Song: along the lines of Bang the Drum, Brian's Song is loosely based on the real life relationship between Chicago Bears teammates Gayle Sayers and Brian Piccolo. While this movie is quite popular and perhaps does NOT belong on this list, I am often surprised at how many people have not seen it, so I chose to include it. This is perhaps the ultimate tear-jerker movie, but is a great show for the family to watch.

2. The Fish That Saved Pittsburgh: my all-time favorite sports movie. A cult comedy classic. Ridiculous, over-the-top, focusing on a hapless basketball team that uses astrology to win games. By forming a team made of players of the same zodiacal sign, the Pisces are able to dominate on the court. What I enjoy most about this movie are the myriad references to 70s ABA culture (drugs, outlandish halftime and in-game entertainment), as well as appearances by loads of NBA and media stars. Also, look for Jonathan Winters playing a dual role of identical twins who own opposing teams....the Pisces and the Lakers. This one is tough to catch on TV and not sure if it is even out on DVD.

1. Victory: one of my all-time favorites....Sly Stallone, Pele, and Nazi concentration camps. The story of Nazi POWs who form a soccer team to compete against an elite German team in an propagandist exhibition game. The movie features lice, starvation, the deliberate breaking of a forearm, and and perhaps the greatest bicycle kick ever recorded on film. The requisite culminating good v evil soccer match is quite inspiring. The story is based loosely on a real team from Kiev that played Nazi teams in exhibitions during the german occupation of the Ukraine. In real life, the Kiev team beat the Nazi teams repeatedly. Instead of letting the losses get to them, the Nazi's rounded up the Ukrainians, shipped them off to concentration camps, and gassed them.
Seen 'em all.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote