cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-06-2008, 06:22 PM   #111
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
Actually, it was about denying a private organization its constitutional right to freedom of expressive association.
Wait, I thought it was about stopping gays from forcing their deviant lifestyle into the mainstream?
Old 11-06-2008, 06:26 PM   #112
CardiacCoug

CardiacCoug is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougarobgon View Post
Nevertheless, I believe one becomes gay by choice. Again, I am not a sheep. I don't blindly follow dictates from SLC. I accept the counsel, I ponder it, pray about it, and then make a choice. How I came to the conclusion that being gay is a choice is the result of experiences I have had counseling with individuals struggling with same sex attraction. These experiences by no means makes me an authority on this subject, they have however, helped me reach a conclusion at this point in my life.
Why would anybody choose to be gay? We heterosexuals have no first-hand knowledge of this, but most gay people say they were always gay. And I believe them because choosing to be gay makes no sense. There are so many faithful LDS kids who want to be heterosexuals in order to fulfill all of their hopes and dreams and stay in the Church, but they ARE homosexual. They didn't choose it and they would choose to be hetero if at all possible.

I think the experience of most Bishops is that if they previously thought that being gay was a "lifestyle choice", after members who are gay tell them about their story, they change their mind. They realize that being gay is the last thing these members would ever choose.
CardiacCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 06:32 PM   #113
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Quote:
Fair enough, you disagree with my position. But don't dismiss my point that many of the people that voted in favor of prop 8 did so because they find gay sex disgusting.
Oh, I am not denying that it was probably a primary factor. I just don't believe it is a legitimate or persuasive reason to deny them marriage rights.

Quote:
To be honest, I don't recall reading the Church's position on whether one is born gay or chooses to be gay. So you may be right, I am not caught up with the times. Nevertheless, I believe one becomes gay by choice.
Aha... Here we have the crux of the issue. This is just plain ignorance.

And yes, you would do well to read up on the church's latest position. They have backed away from the "gay by choice" line of thinking.
Old 11-06-2008, 06:37 PM   #114
PaloAltoCougar

PaloAltoCougar is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardiacCoug View Post
Why would anybody choose to be gay?
For those who insist this is a choice, I always ask them to tell me about when they decided to be straight.

[Facetious interlude] For me, the answer is easy: it was when Stephen Boyd got to tear the antibodies off of Raquel Welch's scuba suit in Fantastic Voyage. And no, it wasn't Stephen Boyd who stirred my manhood, although [drifting farther off topic here] he wrote later that when, as Messala in Ben-Hur, he met Charlton Heston in the armory, he played the scene as a gay man stoked with desire. When you watch the scene with that explanation in mind, it's both creepy and hilarious, as Heston was clueless.

Back to the point, I think the Church has pretty much accepted the idea that homosexuality, at least in most cases, is not a choice, although the behavior is. Am I mistaken?
PaloAltoCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 06:39 PM   #115
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
Wait, I thought it was about stopping gays from forcing their deviant lifestyle into the mainstream?
I can't tell if you're deliberately being difficult, but it's two sides of the same coin. Dale wanted to force the Boy Scouts to accept his lifestyle for the purposes of their organization, and the Scouts defended on their right of association.

Quote:
Why would anybody choose to be gay?
Talk about unpersuasive. Of all the arguments for gay-from-birth, this is the least convincing. Why does a man choose to engage in adultery? or theft? or murder?

Quote:
This is just plain ignorance.

And yes, you would do well to read up on the church's latest position. They have backed away from the "gay by choice" line of thinking.
You might do well to read up on it as well. I don't want to answer for cougarobgon, but there's a big semantical difference between having the weakness of SSA, and "being" gay for the purposes of normalization. I know you don't see it that way, but it's consistent with the church's position.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 06:49 PM   #116
CardiacCoug

CardiacCoug is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Talk about unpersuasive. Of all the arguments for gay-from-birth, this is the least convincing. Why does a man choose to engage in adultery? or theft? or murder?
There is nothing analogous between sexual orientation and adultery, theft or murder. What the hell are you talking about? That makes no sense.
CardiacCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 06:54 PM   #117
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Quote:
I can't tell if you're deliberately being difficult, but it's two sides of the same coin. Dale wanted to force the Boy Scouts to accept his lifestyle for the purposes of their organization, and the Scouts defended on their right of association.
We have debated this ad nauseum, Tex. The BSA policy is based on orientation, not behavior. I agree with the right of association. I also agree that private organizations should be able to discriminate based on race. That doesn't mean that those who oppose either type of discrimination have a radical, evil agenda.

Quote:
I can't believe you just posted that. Wow.

Quote:
You might do well to read up on it as well. I don't want to answer for cougarobgon, but there's a big semantical difference between having the weakness of SSA, and "being" gay for the purposes of normalization. I know you don't see it that way, but it's consistent with the church's position.
Nonsense. That's just a silly game of semantics you invented in order to wiggle your way out of a logical dead-end.
Old 11-06-2008, 07:01 PM   #118
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
There is nothing analogous between sexual orientation and adultery, theft or murder. What the hell are you talking about? That makes no sense.
I don't find the logic "why would someone choose this" compelling. People choose all kinds of illogical things.

Quote:
We have debated this ad nauseum, Tex. The BSA policy is based on orientation, not behavior. I agree with the right of association. I also agree that private organizations should be able to discriminate based on race. That doesn't mean that those who oppose either type of discrimination have a radical, evil agenda.
I don't know about "evil" and "radical" but the lawsuit against the Boy Scouts was a definitely agenda driven, which is why it was in my list. Dale enlisted the help of Lambda Legal, a gay activist group who has just filed a lawsuit over Prop 8's passing.

I don't care if you agree with me.

Quote:
Nonsense. That's just a silly game of semantics you invented in order to wiggle your way out of a logical dead-end.
Why is it nonsense? Just because you say so?

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 07:01 PM   #119
Flystripper

Flystripper is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
No, I am in denial that every thing that happens relative to gays is part of a vast, evil conspiracy. I think the term "gay agenda" is a cheap prop used by the wacko religious right to demonize gays and to promote fear-mongering.
agreed
Flystripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 07:03 PM   #120
Flystripper

Flystripper is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I agree they aren't the "spawn of Satan" and certainly there are those on pro-marriage side who overreact. But to pretend there's no militant gay movement is just ostrich-head-in-sand stuff.

Gay Days at Disneyland, 1997
Dale vs. Boy Scouts, 2000
MA Supreme Court overturns gay ban, 2003
Gavin Newsome flaunts state law, 2004
CA Supreme Court overturns gay ban, 2008

And those are just the ones off the top of my head. Don't tell me there isn't a planned, concerted effort to force gay lifestyles into the mainstream.
all of those things are somehow "militant"?
Flystripper is offline   Reply With Quote