cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religious Studies

Old 11-04-2007, 11:31 PM   #1
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point
Default "Mormonism has a depth

and breadth of substance that can hold up under academic scrutiny."

Interesting commentary from the church.

http://www.lds.org/ldsnewsroom/v/ind...004e94610aRCRD
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 12:54 AM   #2
All-American

All-American is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to All-American

"Thus, the lifelong pursuit of knowledge and education by Latter-day Saints is both a spiritual mandate as well as a secular necessity."

Pushing the chips to the center of the table, aren't we?
Old 11-05-2007, 01:14 AM   #3
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I believe that the Claremont thing is because a wealthy Mormon put up millions of dollars. I think that Claremont wouldn't sniff at Quinn because the Mormon donor objected, IIRC.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 01:27 AM   #4
Sleeping in EQ

Sleeping in EQ is an unknown quantity at this point

Despite CES, Mormonism has plenty of depth and breadth.
"Do not despise the words of prophets, but test everything; hold fast to what is good; " 1 Thess. 5:21 (NRSV)

We all trust our own unorthodoxies.
Sleeping in EQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 03:04 PM   #5
ChinoCoug

ChinoCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

why didn't they say anything about the Yale mormon philosophy conference?
Old 11-05-2007, 04:52 PM   #6
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Okay LDS Church, if you say so.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 04:56 PM   #7
SeattleUte

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoCoug View Post
why didn't they say anything about the Yale mormon philosophy conference?
Why don't you tell us about it, Chino. I googled "Yale Mormon philosophy conference" and got zilch. I'm betting this is another of those exercises in intellectual fakery for which FARMS is will known. I bet Yale is not sponsoring a "Mormon philosophy conference." The very idea of such an event sounds like a lampoon. Come on Chino, stop dropping names and deliver the goods. I bet there's really no such thing as a "Yale Mormon philosophy conference." I bet this is yet another example of your intellectual disohesty.

—Paul Auster
Old 11-05-2007, 05:23 PM   #8
woot

woot is on a distinguished road

I agree that LDS doctrine has a depth and breadth unseen in many other religions, particularly other Christian religions. The "academic scrutiny" part seems more like wishful thinking.
woot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 05:45 PM   #9
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
Why don't you tell us about it, Chino. I googled "Yale Mormon philosophy conference" and got zilch. I'm betting this is another of those exercises in intellectual fakery for which FARMS is will known. I bet Yale is not sponsoring a "Mormon philosophy conference." The very idea of such an event sounds like a lampoon. Come on Chino, stop dropping names and deliver the goods. I bet there's really no such thing as a "Yale Mormon philosophy conference." I bet this is yet another example of your intellectual disohesty.
http://www.yale.edu/mormon_conference/
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 05:52 PM   #10
SeattleUte

Quote:
Originally Posted by woot View Post
I agree that LDS doctrine has a depth and breadth unseen in many other religions, particularly other Christian religions. The "academic scrutiny" part seems more like wishful thinking.
I like you, woot. You're like the recent convert singing loudest in the choir at a church I have attended for a long time. But your posts have evinced a real lack of appreciation for our culture's religious traditions which, unfortunately, isn't unusual among folks who were raised as we were. Your new found enthusiasm for secularism evinces all the steril dismissal of mystery that Einstein found so vexing. (This is not unusual among apostates who were raised as we were.) No post of yours has reaffirmed this quite like the above comment.

Were you aware that St. Augustine is considered perhaps the most imporant philosopher of all time, partly because he may have been the most important means by which Greek philosphy was transmitted to and preserved for our times? Paul created Christian doctrine as an amalgum of Judaism and Greek philosphy. Are you familiar with the works of Dante and John Milton, works of genius recognized as being equal to the Old Testament in terms of their artistry? Were you aware that Martin Luther wrote roomfulls of brilliant stuff? Have you considered the works of Michelangelo, Da Vinci, Vermeer, Rembrandt, and other staggering works of visual arts in Rome and throughout Europe, including the cathedrals and basilicas of late antiquity and the Middle Ages? The music of Bach, Beetoven, Handel, Mozart, Brahms, etc.? All this beauty and philosphical depth was inspired by religious faith, faith in Christianity, pure and simple. Our world would be a bleaker, less awe inspiring, less mysterious (in the Ensteinian sense) place without them, especially if you blot out modern works of genius inspired by the older, religion-inspired masterworks.

—Paul Auster

Last edited by SeattleUte; 11-05-2007 at 06:01 PM.