cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-19-2010, 08:09 PM   #11
RedHeadGal

RedHeadGal is on a distinguished road

And how often does that happen? And is it them, or is it you?

For me, not very often. I wonder if it's me. I've been back in adult classes for about 9 months now (after being in Primary), and I have to say it's somewhat rare when I can even tell what the topic is supposed to be based on the discussion in the room. If I didn't have it printed in the program, I don't think I'd typically know.
RedHeadGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 08:33 PM   #12
Sleeping in EQ

Sleeping in EQ is an unknown quantity at this point

In my experience, inspiration is spontaneous.
"Do not despise the words of prophets, but test everything; hold fast to what is good; " 1 Thess. 5:21 (NRSV)

We all trust our own unorthodoxies.

Last edited by Sleeping in EQ; 01-19-2010 at 08:37 PM.
Sleeping in EQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 10:37 PM   #13
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHeadGal View Post
And how often does that happen? And is it them, or is it you?

For me, not very often. I wonder if it's me. I've been back in adult classes for about 9 months now (after being in Primary), and I have to say it's somewhat rare when I can even tell what the topic is supposed to be based on the discussion in the room. If I didn't have it printed in the program, I don't think I'd typically know.
When I taught, I noticed people rarely slept though I claim no special pedagogical faculty. We've had object lessons using smashing vases, Led Zepplin lyrics, skydiving, tag and many other devices or exercises. Nobody seemed to object though I could be in error.

Now I pre-read the lesson and then sit back quietly without speaking up, and read something of interest lest my snoring disturb somebody else.

Last edited by Archaea; 01-21-2010 at 04:38 PM.
Archaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 04:12 PM   #14
RedHeadGal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
When I taught, I noticed people rarely slept though I claim no special pedagogical faculty. We've had object lessons using smashing vases, Led Zepplin lyrics, skydiving, tag and many other devices or exercises. Nobody seemed to object though I could be in error.

Now I pre-read the lesson and then sit back quietly without speaking up, and read something of interest lest my snoring disturb somebody else.
You played tag with adults? I also think I was a somewhat good teacher, if only because I used the material given and led a discussion about the things I found troubling or confusing. People in general got quite exercised, if only becuase they seemed to want to rise to the defense of my perceived attacks. I was just trying to make them think--which I did--but often they were trying to save me. Ah, well. . .

If you pre-read the lesson I'd guess you are ahead of many. I really do try to pay attention and learn but find it difficult. Even if I have something faith promoting to say, I typically wouldn't because it doesn't feel like the right venue. The classes feel so rote. And they are, and that's partly because of the correlation, I suppose.

Last edited by Archaea; 01-21-2010 at 04:38 PM.
Old 01-21-2010, 04:45 PM   #15
Archaea

Quote:
You played tag with adults? I also think I was a somewhat good teacher, if only because I used the material given and led a discussion about the things I found troubling or confusing. People in general got quite exercised, if only becuase they seemed to want to rise to the defense of my perceived attacks. I was just trying to make them think--which I did--but often they were trying to save me. Ah, well. . .

If you pre-read the lesson I'd guess you are ahead of many. I really do try to pay attention and learn but find it difficult. Even if I have something faith promoting to say, I typically wouldn't because it doesn't feel like the right venue. The classes feel so rote. And they are, and that's partly because of the correlation, I suppose.
My faith promoting events are so minor in comparison to those who have visions or huge external manifestations, I doubt they will illustrate anything to anybody but myself. Most of my spiritual moments are "ah, that's how it is or might be." Very subtle and perhaps to others insignificant but to me they touch me. I don't see how they mean much to others, so I usually refrain from sharing.
Old 01-21-2010, 04:54 PM   #16
RedHeadGal

Quote:
My faith promoting events are so minor in comparison to those who have visions or huge external manifestations, I doubt they will illustrate anything to anybody but myself. Most of my spiritual moments are "ah, that's how it is or might be." Very subtle and perhaps to others insignificant but to me they touch me. I don't see how they mean much to others, so I usually refrain from sharing.
Yes, well maybe we guard them. Maybe we worry that to share them is to diminish them. I don't think huge manisfestations or other visions are common. But perhaps its a fine line between sharing and sharing too much. Teachers often ask for personal stories, and we open the mic to anything anyone wants to say once a month, yet I would guess the experiences that are most precious and most personally touching often go unshared. I'm not sure whether it's good or bad.
Old 01-21-2010, 05:03 PM   #17
Archaea

Quote:
Yes, well maybe we guard them. Maybe we worry that to share them is to diminish them. I don't think huge manisfestations or other visions are common. But perhaps its a fine line between sharing and sharing too much. Teachers often ask for personal stories, and we open the mic to anything anyone wants to say once a month, yet I would guess the experiences that are most precious and most personally touching often go unshared. I'm not sure whether it's good or bad.
Example for me.

I was speaking to a friend who is introducing faith to her Primary age child. She had chosen to use the church website to introduce faith to her child. So she asked this child, who had never set foot in a church or least not a temple, but when she listened to the hymn, I'm going to the temple, and read the story attributed to it, how she felt. The daughter responded, "she felt warm and tingly inside." The mother informed her that was the Holy Ghost, again not a member of our faith. That was faith inspiring for me.
Old 01-22-2010, 04:54 PM   #18
RedHeadGal

Quote:
Example for me.

I was speaking to a friend who is introducing faith to her Primary age child. She had chosen to use the church website to introduce faith to her child. So she asked this child, who had never set foot in a church or least not a temple, but when she listened to the hymn, I'm going to the temple, and read the story attributed to it, how she felt. The daughter responded, "she felt warm and tingly inside." The mother informed her that was the Holy Ghost, again not a member of our faith. That was faith inspiring for me.
Thanks for the story. It's a nice one, and I'm sure if you shared it in a church context, some would also nod in fervent agreement, and some wouldn't have heard you.

After thinking about this a bit more, I also wonder whether telling such stories--revealing our own spiritual touchstones--can be difficult because it feels too vulnerable. We don't want to be judged for them or to find that they don't touch others. I don't know. Just still thinking it through.
Old 01-22-2010, 05:34 PM   #19
Archaea

Quote:
Thanks for the story. It's a nice one, and I'm sure if you shared it in a church context, some would also nod in fervent agreement, and some wouldn't have heard you.

After thinking about this a bit more, I also wonder whether telling such stories--revealing our own spiritual touchstones--can be difficult because it feels too vulnerable. We don't want to be judged for them or to find that they don't touch others. I don't know. Just still thinking it through.
Thank you. That one yes.

But I've had others, which most would mock. For example, during conjugation, I've felt certain elements of spiritual affirmation, no matter how naughty it got.

Or during a chess game, or intellectual discussion.
Old 01-27-2010, 06:48 PM   #20
RedHeadGal

Quote:
Thank you. That one yes.

But I've had others, which most would mock. For example, during conjugation, I've felt certain elements of spiritual affirmation, no matter how naughty it got.

Or during a chess game, or intellectual discussion.
conjugation? are you a man or an amoeba? or a verb? I beg you--please do share that one in sunday school class and report back.