cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-25-2008, 04:18 PM   #11
Sleeping in EQ

Sleeping in EQ is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Well, this does bring to mind Joseph Smith's beliefs in the powers of special inanimate objects like seer stones and the lore of the urim and thummim.

The idea of carrying a small rock with special powers in their pocket is foreign to most Mormons today. But should it be?
B.H. Roberts and Quinn both have interesting things to say on this topic. I'm reminded of Joseph's divination cup in Genesis 44 too.
"Do not despise the words of prophets, but test everything; hold fast to what is good; " 1 Thess. 5:21 (NRSV)

We all trust our own unorthodoxies.
Sleeping in EQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 04:19 PM   #12
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeping in EQ View Post
B.H. Roberts and Quinn both have interesting things to say on this topic. I'm reminded of Joseph's divination cup in Genesis 44 too.
What do they have to say?
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 05:24 PM   #13
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

What is the worship of crystals?

What did JS have to say on the subject?
Old 09-25-2008, 08:04 PM   #14
Sleeping in EQ

Quote:
I'll do a seperate post on it, but they flesh out the folk magic aspects. Roberts also mentions that Ethan Smith describes a "urim" in a Native American "breastplate" several years before the Book of Mormon is translated.
"Do not despise the words of prophets, but test everything; hold fast to what is good; " 1 Thess. 5:21 (NRSV)

Old 09-26-2008, 06:03 AM   #15
SoCalCoug

SoCalCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Wow. I never really realized it, but Crystal Gayle was kind of hot back then. That is, if you can get over the beaver pelt swinging back behind her butt.

"Now perhaps as I spanked myself screaming out "Kozlowski, say it like you mean it bitch!" might have been out of line, but such was the mood." - Goatnapper

"If you want to fatten a pig up to make the pig MORE delicious, you can feed it almost anything. Seriously. The pig is like the car on Back to the Future. You put in garbage, and out comes something magical!" - Cali Coug
SoCalCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 04:44 PM   #16
BlueK

BlueK is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougarobgon View Post
What is up with that?

Another LDS family we know has been affected by the conversion of one or both of the parents to the worship of crystals. From an outsider's perspective, it appears it all began with financial distress.

The first family over the years had difficulty making ends meet, started several business ventures, things did not go very well, then they met up with some group in Utah that did not believe in paying taxes, and within a short time were introduced to crystal worship and they left the Church taking their children with them.

The most recent, again financial distress, on the brink of bankruptcy, the father begins worshipping crystals, he is now living out in the wild in a tent and left the Church. The mother took the children with her, divorce in progress, mother and kids remain active in the Church.

What is attracting LDS members to worshipping crystals? Any crystal worshippers on this board?

The most recent is the one that troubles me. The brother comes from a good family, seemingly great marriage, 4 or 5 kids, always has been active, RM, temple marriage, etc...
Do they also believe in the rest of that "new age" stuff like the aliens with the big eyes who abduct people in their sleep? If you ask me, the alien abduction stories usually are associated with those who follow new age/neo paganism probably as a means to promote itself.
Old 07-20-2009, 01:52 PM   #17
Sleeping in EQ

Quote:
Goodness. Where to begin? If, as a board, we read Quinn's Mormonism and the Magic World View, we'd have more insight into just how into crystals, amulets, and what is now called New Age spirituality early Mormons were.

Moroni's appearing on the Autumnal Equinox, the waxing and waning moon stones on the Salt Lake Temple, Joseph's Jupiter Talisman, Lucy Mack's Palm reading...this stuff doesn't stop.

What say ye?

Old 07-24-2009, 05:25 PM   #18
BlueK

BlueK is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeping in EQ View Post
Goodness. Where to begin? If, as a board, we read Quinn's Mormonism and the Magic World View, we'd have more insight into just how into crystals, amulets, and what is now called New Age spirituality early Mormons were.

Moroni's appearing on the Autumnal Equinox, the waxing and waning moon stones on the Salt Lake Temple, Joseph's Jupiter Talisman, Lucy Mack's Palm reading...this stuff doesn't stop.

What say ye?
I've never seen a tendency toward the new age stuff among modern mormons.
Old 07-25-2009, 09:55 PM   #19
Sleeping in EQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueK View Post
I've never seen a tendency toward the new age stuff among modern mormons.
They have eyes, yet cannot see.