cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-13-2007, 10:15 PM   #1
K-dog

K-dog is on a distinguished road
Default Combining two threads (Race and adoption)

I had a professor who was opposed to white people adopting black children. She said it was culturally confusing to the child and demonstrated that white people were still trying to subvert black society. I thought she was insane. Then I watched a white couple adopt and raise two black children. I witnessed their cultural confusion and difficulty in bonding with their parents. It seemed like many of the things my "crazy" professor predicted were happening. Now I'm conflicted. I don't see how any loving environment could be worse than a nonloving one but I can see the risks of cultural alienation and difficulties in bonding. Any thoughts on this subject by those who are more brilliant than I?

K-dog

P.S. Grrrrrrrrr
K-dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 10:18 PM   #2
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-dog View Post
I had a professor who was opposed to white people adopting black children. She said it was culturally confusing to the child and demonstrated that white people were still trying to subvert black society. I thought she was insane. Then I watched a white couple adopt and raise two black children. I witnessed their cultural confusion and difficulty in bonding with their parents. It seemed like many of the things my "crazy" professor predicted were happening. Now I'm conflicted. I don't see how any loving environment could be worse than a nonloving one but I can see the risks of cultural alienation and difficulties in bonding. Any thoughts on this subject by those who are more brilliant than I?
My aunt and uncle adopted a polynesian infant. It turned out well. But there were issues they had to go through related to racial identity. For example, he wanted his haircut "just like Dad". They realized that he had no mental conception of what his hair was like. So they put up mirrors all throughout the house.

No matter what the statistics are, I would not make a definitive policy based on them (maybe I'm just weird that way).
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 10:21 PM   #3
K-dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
My aunt and uncle adopted a polynesian infant. It turned out well. But there were issues they had to go through related to racial identity. For example, he wanted his haircut "just like Dad". They realized that he had no mental conception of what his hair was like. So they put up mirrors all throughout the house.

No matter what the statistics are, I would not make a definitive policy based on them (maybe I'm just weird that way).
In your experience then, my professor was correct? I thought it sounded racist when she said it. Was it a racist statement?

K-dog

P.S. Grrrrrrrrr
Old 11-13-2007, 10:21 PM   #4
Burning Bright

Burning Bright is on a distinguished road

Quote:
If white couples don't adopt black children there will be an awful lot of black children growing up without parents. Currently there are way, way more black children available for adoption then there are couples wanting to adopt black children.
Burning Bright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 10:22 PM   #5
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Bryan Kehl was adopted by white parents. I'm grateful a good LDS, BYU loving family adopted him.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 10:23 PM   #6
K-dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burning Bright View Post
If white couples don't adopt black children there will be an awful lot of black children growing up without parents. Currently there are way, way more black children available for adoption then there are couples wanting to adopt black children.
Very true. Her belief was that black children were better unadopted than raised in homes of white people. I probably should have mentioned that in the first post.

K-dog

P.S. Grrrrrrrrr
Old 11-13-2007, 10:28 PM   #7
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Very true. Her belief was that black children were better unadopted than raised in homes of white people. I probably should have mentioned that in the first post.
I definitely don't agree with this. I support mixed-race adoptions, even though I believe there are potential pitfalls.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 10:30 PM   #8
K-dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
I definitely don't agree with this. I support mixed-race adoptions, even though I believe there are potential pitfalls.
Are there ways to minimize the pitfalls or are we in danger of racial stereotyping by doing so?

K-dog

P.S. Grrrrrrrrr
Old 11-13-2007, 10:32 PM   #9
Solon

Solon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
Bryan Kehl was adopted by white parents. I'm grateful a good LDS, BYU loving family adopted him.
I'm not grateful that the family was LDS; he might not have ended up at BYU otherwise. He's pretty damn good.
Old 11-13-2007, 10:42 PM   #10
SoCalCoug

SoCalCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Are you saying they turned into Bryant and Greg Gumbel?

"Now perhaps as I spanked myself screaming out "Kozlowski, say it like you mean it bitch!" might have been out of line, but such was the mood." - Goatnapper

"If you want to fatten a pig up to make the pig MORE delicious, you can feed it almost anything. Seriously. The pig is like the car on Back to the Future. You put in garbage, and out comes something magical!" - Cali Coug
SoCalCoug is offline   Reply With Quote