cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-08-2008, 03:27 PM   #11
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
Just a thought, not a conlcusion I have come to. Going to the Temple is a peaceful and spritual experience. For me that is especially true when I feel like I have been moved to go. Not by a Priesthood leader, not by a challenge by the SP, but because I feel a desire to feel the spirit that is there. Perhaps that is selfish and I don't see the grand vision of what great good I am doing for others by going.

I find Priesthood attendance has become a function of I should, not I want. At least in my class, the discussions are dominated by the Tex's of the world. Not meant to be a knock on Tex, but only the orthodox members speak in HP meetings. I feel like I have heard it all before. Absolutely nothing new. I am asking myself why, it is just a meeting for me at this stage of my life.

The reason I am even thinking about this is because of what Ma'ake said. His point rang true in my case. That one hour could be spent doing more productive things.
ask your Bishop, tell him your predicament and ask if you can take the sacrament to widows and infirm with a partner during that time.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 03:29 PM   #12
PaloAltoCougar

PaloAltoCougar is an unknown quantity at this point

Honestly, I'd be disappointed if the guy I know who fits that description decided to stop coming to my HP Group. I'd miss the keen insights he'd provide about hitting the long ball, gaming tables, and women, among other things. Too often we base our participation by "what's in it for me?", overlooking the more important point of what we might be able to do for others. As JFK said 48 years ago, "Ask not what your High Priests Group can do for you, but what you can do for your High Priests Group."
PaloAltoCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 03:30 PM   #13
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Just a thought, not a conlcusion I have come to. Going to the Temple is a peaceful and spritual experience. For me that is especially true when I feel like I have been moved to go. Not by a Priesthood leader, not by a challenge by the SP, but because I feel a desire to feel the spirit that is there. Perhaps that is selfish and I don't see the grand vision of what great good I am doing for others by going.

I find Priesthood attendance has become a function of I should, not I want. At least in my class, the discussions are dominated by the Tex's of the world. Not meant to be a knock on Tex, but only the orthodox members speak in HP meetings. I feel like I have heard it all before. Absolutely nothing new. I am asking myself why, is it just a meeting for me at this stage of my life.

The reason I am even thinking about this is because of what Ma'ake said. His point rang true in my case. That one hour could be spent doing more productive things.
You'd prefer that in priesthood they advise you not to come more than once a month?

The "what's in it for me?" attitude is one you may want to take a second look at.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 03:33 PM   #14
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
Honestly, I'd be disappointed if the guy I know who fits that description decided to stop coming to my HP Group. I'd miss the keen insights he'd provide about hitting the long ball, gaming tables, and women, among other things. Too often we base our participation by "what's in it for me?", overlooking the more important point of what we might be able to do for others. As JFK said 48 years ago, "Ask not what your High Priests Group can do for you, but what you can do for your High Priests Group."

I would love to be in your group. However, whenever I speak in my HP group a bunch of them jump on me and talk about my "schtick" and "obsessions". If I stand my ground I get accused of having a "terrestial" attitude.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 03:35 PM   #15
BYU71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
You'd prefer that in priesthood they advise you not to come more than once a month?

The "what's in it for me?" attitude is one you may want to take a second look at.
Yea, you are probably right. Maybe you can help me out a bit. What is in it for others if I go.
Old 05-08-2008, 03:36 PM   #16
Tex

Quote:
Yea, you are probably right. Maybe you can help me out a bit. What is in it for others if I go.
Entertainment.

- Cali Coug

- Brigham Young
Old 05-08-2008, 03:40 PM   #17
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
Too often we base our participation by "what's in it for me?", overlooking the more important point of what we might be able to do for others. As JFK said 48 years ago, "Ask not what your High Priests Group can do for you, but what you can do for your High Priests Group."
God bless you, despite your too infrequent participation.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 03:41 PM   #18
BYU71

Quote:
Entertainment.
LOL, I just have never felt Priesthood meeting was a good forum to be controversial.

Take this forum. People choose to come here. They know it can be confrontational and their thoughts and opinions challenged.

People don't really make that choice when they go to church meetings. I think people go with the expectation of having their beliefs reaffirmed, not challenged. Elders quorum is different, but not HP. At least that is how it is in my ward.

The best teacher I have ever had I later found out was basically living under the same roof as his wife, but were seperated. He planned on divorcing her when the youngest left the house. He told her that and she didn't believe it. Do you think a controversial subject such as that ever came up?

Do you really think subjects that we discuss on here could really or for that matter should come up in Priesthood meeting. I think not.
Old 05-08-2008, 03:44 PM   #19
Tex

Quote:
LOL, I just have never felt Priesthood meeting was a good forum to be controversial.

Take this forum. People choose to come here. They know it can be confrontational and their thoughts and opinions challenged.

People don't really make that choice when they go to church meetings. I think people go with the expectation of having their beliefs reaffirmed, not challenged. Elders quorum is different, but not HP. At least that is how it is in my ward.

The best teacher I have ever had I later found out was basically living under the same roof as his wife, but were seperated. He planned on divorcing her when the youngest left the house. He told her that and she didn't believe it. Do you think a controversial subject such as that ever came up?

Do you really think subjects that we discuss on here could really or for that matter should come up in Priesthood meeting. I think not.
I think you should outline the chapter list for the BYU71 Priesthood Manual.

- Cali Coug

- Brigham Young
Old 05-08-2008, 03:45 PM   #20
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I think you should outline the chapter list for the BYU71 Priesthood Manual.
It would be akin to the Sunday School curriculum, except that instead of repeating the same topics every four years, it would be the same 4 topics every 4 weeks.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote