cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-11-2008, 04:50 PM   #1
RC Vikings

RC Vikings is on a distinguished road
Default Can someone explain to me the Hosanna (edited) shout?

I have a hard enough time with all the rituals that I didn't need to see another one.
RC Vikings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 04:53 PM   #2
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Vikings View Post
I have a hard enough time with all the rituals that I didn't need to see another one.
It is a tradition, I suppose linked to the idea we will praise God when he comes. Given the fact, the Apostle must coach us on it, makes it less than spontaneous.
Old 02-11-2008, 04:58 PM   #3
nikuman

nikuman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Vikings View Post
Handkerchiefs=palm fronds

Reference to entry of Jesus into Jerusalem.

Therefore, preparing for His entry into the temple.

At least so I've been told.
nikuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 05:05 PM   #4
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
... The word hosanna as we know it originated from two Hebrew words found in Psalm 118:25, and roughly means “Save us, we beseech thee.” [Ps. 118:25] (See also 2 Sam. 14:4; Ps. 20:9.) This psalm was recited by one of the priests every day during the procession around the altar during the seven-day holiday called the Feast of Tabernacles, when the people were commanded to “rejoice before the Lord. …” (Lev. 23:40). On the seventh day it was sung seven times, and when the priest reached verses 25 and 26, the trumpet sounded and all the people waved their branches of palms, myrtles, and willows (their lulab), and shouted the Hosanna many times. In fact, this seventh day of the feast was called the Great Hosanna. The Feast of Tabernacles was a season of great rejoicing for the Jewish people, and hence the Hosanna, though supplicatory at first, came to be equated with rejoicing. It was apparently used in this way in the New Testament.

The Hosanna became an acclamation of the multitude on the occasion of Jesus’ triumphal entry into Jerusalem. It occurs six times in the Gospels. It is used alone in Mark 11:9 and John 12:13; it is twice followed by the dative “to the Son of David” in Matthew 21:9, 15 [Matt. 21:9, 15]; and it is used twice with the phrase “in the highest” in Matthew 21:9 [Matt 21:9] and in Mark 11:10. The element of rejoicing and praise even in an ejaculation or shout was present on this occasion as was the lulab or waving of branches or leaves.

The earliest actual use of the Hosanna Shout in the Church is not known. But it was most likely used from the very beginning. Indeed, the Lord commanded its use even before the Church was officially organized.

In March 1830 the Prophet received a revelation for Martin Harris in which the Lord commanded him to preach the gospel “even with a loud voice, with a sound of rejoicing, crying—Hosanna, hosanna, blessed be the name of the Lord God!” (D&C 19:37.) On several other occasions in the beginning years of the Church, the Lord commanded the use of the Hosanna Shout (D&C 36:3; D&C 39:19), and it is known that it was practiced. (Millennial Star, vol. 26, p. 504.) But in 1836 with the completing of the Kirtland Temple, the Hosanna Shout became well established in the Church. The Lord gave specific instructions pertaining to it for priesthood and general Church practice. (D&C 109:79–80; Documentary History of the Church vol. 2, pp. 381–92.)
For what it's worth.

http://lds.org/ldsorg/v/index.jsp?vg...____&hideNav=1

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 05:12 PM   #5
RC Vikings

RC Vikings is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post

Thanks for that. I didn't even get the name right. The Hosanna Shout not hallelujah.
RC Vikings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 07:52 PM   #6
BigFatMeanie

BigFatMeanie is on a distinguished road

It's supposed to be a shout - a shout of rejoicing. The times I've seen it done make me think it should be renamed to the Hosanna Mumble. People don't shout/rejoice like they should. Instead, they nervously and embarrassedly mumble as they wave their handkerchief. Wusses.
BigFatMeanie is offline   Reply With Quote