cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Fitness and Wellness

Old 06-27-2007, 04:32 AM   #21
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Sometimes my friend Wendy makes my lunch, other times Mr. McDonald does or I may consult a Subway Sandwich Artist about a creation.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 01:25 PM   #22
FarrahWaters

FarrahWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon View Post
Raspberry is a crime against the very essence of jam.
I missed this before, and that is sheer blasphemy! My grandma made the best raspberry jam

And I do spread pb on the bread first, wipe the knife clean on the other piece of bread, then spread the honey or jam on the other slice. It's a system that works well for me.
FarrahWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 01:34 PM   #23
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

The best jelly in the world is "Mustang Grape Jelly."

Mustang grapes are wild grapes that grow in Texas. They are dark purple and are tart.

http://www.nativesoftexas.com/Vines/MustangGrape.html

It is exquisite, and my dad is going to be making a batch this summer.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 02:17 PM   #24
marsupial

marsupial is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon View Post
Well, there's no accounting for taste, I guess.

I hate all those little seed things. They pollute the jam.
They make seedless jam, y'know.
marsupial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 02:21 PM   #25
nikuman

nikuman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegoose View Post
Honey is, well, honey.
I can't stand by and let such blasphemy against honey go unchecked! As a former beekeeper (I've had the stings to prove it - 12 stings to the temple just before major social activities is not the best way to pick up on the ladies), I'm here to say that there's a big difference between clover honey, alfalfa honey, orchard honey and corpse flower honey. The last is used as a precursor to castor oil so the castor oil doesn't taste as bad.
nikuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 02:29 PM   #26
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Diamond Bay View Post
Do your wives make you lunches to eat, or do you go out to eat? If they make your lunch what sorts of things do they pack for you?

I am kind of opposed to sandwiches. I know that's weird, few people understand the aversion. Let's just say that after years of nothing but sandwiches for lunch I got some serious burnout. I'll eat them if someone else makes one, or if they crop up at a meeting or something, but you'll never catch me making one for myself.

Which leaves me in kind of a dilemma as to what to eat for lunch. I don't really like eating out, so I try and avoid going that route. I know it's not entirely normal but if I don't pay attention I'll forget to eat lunch all together and then have to eat a big dinner to try and compensate for lost calories (which fyi, is not effective).

So in an effort to improve my eating habits I've been trying to remember to take food with me to work for lunch. I taken frozen tamales sometimes and microwave them. I don't usually have a lot of leftovers. Is that what you all eat for lunch? Leftovers?
Wife make them lunch? Oh boy. That's a good one. I think she made me lunch once. And I think she made me breakfast twice. I pack leftovers if there's something good or go out.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 02:29 PM   #27
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikuman View Post
I can't stand by and let such blasphemy against honey go unchecked! As a former beekeeper (I've had the stings to prove it - 12 stings to the temple just before major social activities is not the best way to pick up on the ladies), I'm here to say that there's a big difference between clover honey, alfalfa honey, orchard honey and corpse flower honey. The last is used as a precursor to castor oil so the castor oil doesn't taste as bad.
Don't forget tupelo honey, Yaupon honey, and chinese tallow honey.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 02:32 PM   #28
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatMeanie View Post
Mrs. Meanie makes me lunch every day (although I often go out on Fridays) - she has been for the past 12 years.

My lunch is as follows:

- If we have leftovers and I feel like eating them for lunch, then that is the first option.
- If there are no leftovers, or at least no leftovers that I feel like taking to work, I get a sandwich (either turkey or pastrami) with mustard, lettuce and tomato in a separate baggie (so they don't make the sandwich soggy by lunchtime), pickles in a separate baggie from the lettuce and tomato (if you put them in the same baggie the pickle juice tends to wilt the lettuce), carrot sticks, and an apple or occasionally an orange. I also get cookies every once in a while if there are any left over after making the kids lunches.

Dude, you've got your wife trained as well as your kids! I'm jealous.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 02:37 PM   #29
nikuman

nikuman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Don't forget tupelo honey, Yaupon honey, and chinese tallow honey.
How is that project going, by the way? Any complaints from the neighbors yet?
nikuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 06:00 PM   #30
BigFatMeanie

BigFatMeanie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
Dude, you've got your wife trained as well as your kids! I'm jealous.
It's easy - just yell at them and browbeat them until they are so intimidated by you that your very wish is their command. Then hope that they don't turn out to be psychotic whackos that kill you in your sleep one night.
BigFatMeanie is offline   Reply With Quote