cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Current Events

Old 04-17-2010, 12:00 AM   #1
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Goldman Slacker Scandal

I hope GS dies a slow painful death, but the truth is, our entire society, or at least major segments of sectors of our society are to blame.

Financial sector, consumers, rating systems such as Moody's, developers, derivative makers, banks, investment banks, regulators,

We are a sick, sick, society. Nobody is blameless, but the first order of business is government needs to pin the tail on the donkey, thereby exonerating the remainder of the players.

How about Mr. Consumer that played along with his mortgage broker as his agent filled out phony loan documents?

How about the complicit mortgage broker?

How about the rich guys creating derivatives with shitty values?

How about the rating agencies? I saw an expose from former raters who gave AAA ratings for stuff that was pure refuse.

Now GS is caught with its hand in the cookie jar, cajoling clients to invest in toxic assets, while it short-sold waiting for the implosion.

Politicians are blames and are much like the Generals who walk the battlefield, long after the outcome has been won, shooting and killing the maimed and wounded.

F'em all!

We have a completely morally bankrupt and sick society, probably incapable of being cured.

I saw somebody posing the question whether our country has seen its best days, whatever the 'ell that means.

In terms of moral and ethical responsibility to society, I would believe without adequate foundation, we might not be more bankrupt than in societies past, but we certainly must be tied with the most bankrupt. This patient is moribund, we lack leadership and we lack the will power which generations such as the Greatest Generation used to possess.

31 John Poulson, may you rest in hell. But heck, he'll probably be the next Democratic nominee for President or Secretary of the Treasury.
Old 04-17-2010, 12:56 AM   #2
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I really don't see how this is different than ENRON, and those dudes went to prison.

Palms will be greased. A fine of billions will be payed, probably less than 5% of one year's revenue.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 11:02 PM   #3
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
I really don't see how this is different than ENRON, and those dudes went to prison.

Palms will be greased. A fine of billions will be payed, probably less than 5% of one year's revenue.
Somebody may take the fall but GS is filled mostly with Democrats so they will skate free. Yes palms are already greased, and GS skates on both sides of the aisle.

GS needs to lose the special treatment it gets but that won't stop until its clients lose faith in it.