cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Current Events

Old 08-06-2008, 02:19 AM   #1
8ballrollin

8ballrollin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 14-year-old hunter shoots hiker

A lady bends over to put something into her backpack. From 120 yards a kid hunting thinks she is a bear and mortally wounds her. What, if any, charges should he face? Is the consequence only the remorse of a terrible accident, or something more?

http://www.king5.com/video/index.html?nvid=269818

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...ershot05m.html
8ballrollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 04:06 AM   #2
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Just one completely unrelated curiosity: the woman was 54 and married for nearly 40 years?

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 05:15 AM   #3
bigpiney

bigpiney
Send a message via AIM to bigpiney

That is horrible. I have mixed feelings on this one. I would go for involuntary manslaughter, and probation. So essentially letting him off, but he is never allowed to touch a gun for hte rest of his days.

I have a fear of being out for a run and getting shot by the stupid rednecks that are out hunting quail in hte open lands near my house. Every fall I have to break out the bright orange running shirts as a precaution.
bigpiney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 03:12 PM   #4
HuskyFreeNorthwest

HuskyFreeNorthwest is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8ballrollin View Post
A lady bends over to put something into her backpack. From 120 yards a kid hunting thinks she is a bear and mortally wounds her. What, if any, charges should he face? Is the consequence only the remorse of a terrible accident, or something more?

http://www.king5.com/video/index.html?nvid=269818

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...ershot05m.html
Having spent most of the summer in and around this area it is not unusual to see some crazy hunters. The other day I was driving down the Mtn Loop Hwy, about an hour away from Sauk where this happened and saw a group of 3 guys riding bikes down the middle of the road with their hunting rifles slung over their backs.

We had someone run, literally run, into one of our campground off the highway in Marblemount, less than 30 mins away from Sauk, aiming a loaded rifle into a populated campground because he thought that he would find a bear eating the campers food.

Who says Washington doesn't have republicans?
HuskyFreeNorthwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 06:47 PM   #5
8ballrollin

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
Having spent most of the summer in and around this area it is not unusual to see some crazy hunters. The other day I was driving down the Mtn Loop Hwy, about an hour away from Sauk where this happened and saw a group of 3 guys riding bikes down the middle of the road with their hunting rifles slung over their backs.

We had someone run, literally run, into one of our campground off the highway in Marblemount, less than 30 mins away from Sauk, aiming a loaded rifle into a populated campground because he thought that he would find a bear eating the campers food.

Who says Washington doesn't have republicans?
I know this is not unique to the Puget Sound, but in some ways embodies the thoughts in the thread on 'Redneck Stonehenge' - suburban and traditional rural life colliding.

As you know, one can drive 30 minutes in any direction from the suburbs of the Sound and run into national forests, monuments, or national parks. Around these wilderness areas are long entrenched rural communities, with their own outdoor culture – hunting, fishing, moto, snowmobiles, 4x4, etc. Add to these areas a very mobile urban outdoor community, traveling from the city with their distinct culture of hiking, backpacking, kayaking, and climbing. The result is a level of animosity on both sides around disagreements on the 'proper' use of the wilderness areas.

I realize I'm stereotyping the activities and attitudes of the two groups, but you can see the animosity that exists in threads like the one below from a local hiking forum - 50 pages of arguing over the shooting.

Seattle Granolas vs Eastern Slope hikers/hunters:

http://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewt...r=asc&start=15

http://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewt...=asc&start=735
Old 08-16-2008, 07:32 PM   #6
8ballrollin

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpiney View Post
That is horrible. I have mixed feelings on this one. I would go for involuntary manslaughter, and probation. So essentially letting him off, but he is never allowed to touch a gun for hte rest of his days.
first-degree manslaughter...

Quote:
In some places, the two boys from Concrete could see only about 20 feet in front of them, according to court documents charging the 14-year-old with first-degree manslaughter in the Aug. 2 death of a 54-year-old hiker he mistook for a bear....

The boys both had rifles with 3X-magnification scopes and both looked through their scopes for "a few minutes" before the younger said, "It's a bear, it's a bear," and, "I've got my cross hairs on it," court documents allege.
Odd: I just noticed that the victim, mistaken for a bear, was from “Oso”, WA.
Old 08-16-2008, 08:01 PM   #7
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

white trash grandpa drops off white trash 2 sons who shoot the first thing they see moving.

better be a felony.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 08:23 PM   #8
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

I hate laws that allow 14-yr-old kids to hunt big game. Way too early. But it is absolutely insane to let two kids that age hunt alone. What a tragedy.
Old 08-16-2008, 08:26 PM   #9
Sleeping in EQ

Sleeping in EQ is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm not crazy about the fact that a 14-year old and a 16-year old were running around with loaded guns and no adult supervision. I know it happens in the woods and praries of our fine land, but that is a ton of responsibility placed on some pretty inexperienced shoulders. Who knows, they might not be able to tell the difference between a human and a bear.

Grandpa should have had better judgment too.
"Do not despise the words of prophets, but test everything; hold fast to what is good; " 1 Thess. 5:21 (NRSV)

We all trust our own unorthodoxies.
Sleeping in EQ is offline   Reply With Quote