cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Fitness and Wellness
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-27-2008, 12:37 AM   #1
Runner Coug

Runner Coug is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Tough run this weekend

My brother in law is just getting into running, so I took him with me on my long run this weekend. We're both running the Wasatch Back Relay next month, so we went and ran one of the legs, except we ran it in the other direction. It was a tough one, we gained about 1100 feet in just over 2.5 miles. I told him if he wanted to we would get him his first half marathon, and despite having to walk a bit and having me go back to find him, he got the 13.1 done.

Runner Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 03:31 AM   #2
ERCougar

ERCougar is on a distinguished road

Speaking of Wasatch Back, how are you doing your sleeping? We're doing it for the first time this year. I think I'm going to be doing legs 1/13/25. We have a little popup trailer that we were going to camp in at East Canyon. We were going to try going out in shifts of three--so have 13, 14, 15 for legs 13-15, switch out for 16-18, and get 13-15 some extra sleep. But it's kind of tricky because it leaves either 15 or 16 running in the middle of the night without support for a stretch in the middle of the night. There are 5 women and me on the van and they're understandably not excited about running in the middle of the night alone. Any ideas? Are you having a pacer run/bike with your night runners?
ERCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 03:31 AM   #3
fuegote

fuegote

I've got leg 5 of the Wasatch Back relay. That first 7.1 uphill portion both excites and worries me. Man I'm excited.
Old 05-27-2008, 03:33 AM   #4
ERCougar

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuegote View Post
I've got leg 5 of the Wasatch Back relay. That first 7.1 uphill portion both excites and worries me. Man I'm excited.
My wife and I are divvying up leg 5 and 1 on our van. I kind of think 5 is tougher (despite being shorter) because of its timing, but she chose it, so...

And yeah...I'm totally pumped for this. It looks like a great time.
Old 05-27-2008, 02:00 PM   #5
Runner Coug

Runner Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERCougar View Post
Speaking of Wasatch Back, how are you doing your sleeping?
We haven't figured it out yet. I'm on a team of 12 men, and with no ladies on the team to organize us, I'm guessing we'll finally get everything figured out, oh, say 3 hours before the race. We got screwed on our start time, we don't go until 1:20 pm.

Fuegote- I'm runner 5 also. The run we did this weekend was the other side of the mountain of our first leg, so leg 6. I was going to run our first leg but the road was still closed. All I can say is prepare for pain. If you have trail shoes take them because the road is very rocky.
Runner Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 02:34 PM   #6
ERCougar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner Coug View Post
We haven't figured it out yet. I'm on a team of 12 men, and with no ladies on the team to organize us, I'm guessing we'll finally get everything figured out, oh, say 3 hours before the race. We got screwed on our start time, we don't go until 1:20 pm.

Fuegote- I'm runner 5 also. The run we did this weekend was the other side of the mountain of our first leg, so leg 6. I was going to run our first leg but the road was still closed. All I can say is prepare for pain. If you have trail shoes take them because the road is very rocky.
That just means you guys are fast, doesn't it? We're starting at like 9 or 10 am. I noticed the BYU cross-country team is starting around 5 or 6 pm.

Thanks for the tip on leg 5. I may end up doing this because my wife doesn't have trail shoes.

Which runner has the toughest race? In van 1, it's between 1 and 5, I think. In van 2, it's between 10 and 11. Overall? Leg 34 just looks like a beast and may make 10's race the toughest.

Last edited by ERCougar; 05-27-2008 at 02:40 PM.
Old 05-27-2008, 04:56 PM   #7
fuegote

fuegote

um.... what are trail shoes? I just saw that I'll be doing my second leg at around midnight or very early the following morning. Holy cow.
Old 05-27-2008, 05:07 PM   #8
bluegoose

bluegoose is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner Coug View Post
My brother in law is just getting into running, so I took him with me on my long run this weekend. We're both running the Wasatch Back Relay next month, so we went and ran one of the legs, except we ran it in the other direction. It was a tough one, we gained about 1100 feet in just over 2.5 miles. I told him if he wanted to we would get him his first half marathon, and despite having to walk a bit and having me go back to find him, he got the 13.1 done.
When you say that he just recently got into running, what exactly does that mean? I take it to be that this is his first year of getting serious about the sport.

If so, you don't really like him very much, do you?
bluegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 05:11 PM   #9
bluegoose

bluegoose is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuegote View Post
um.... what are trail shoes?
They're just a luxury of the rich. Take a regular running shoe, add a little more support and a wider heel, and paint it some earthtone color and you've got yourself a trail shoe.

I've never heard of the Wasatch Back before last week, but it sounds like a blast. I look forward to the full report.
bluegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 05:52 PM   #10
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegoose View Post
They're just a luxury of the rich. Take a regular running shoe, add a little more support and a wider heel, and paint it some earthtone color and you've got yourself a trail shoe.

I've never heard of the Wasatch Back before last week, but it sounds like a blast. I look forward to the full report.
For off road experiences trail shoes are a must.

One key difference that Goose is ignoring to disclose to you is that they have "kevlar" in the sole to avoid punctures which occur when stepping onto rocks. Get some. Your feet will bless you if you do. If you use normal shoes, your shoes will curse you. Money well spent.