cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Fitness and Wellness

Old 01-17-2008, 03:29 PM   #11
bluegoose

bluegoose is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelagius View Post
Well, if you want advice on how to injure yourself lifting instead of running, I am sure I can help out. I mean running injuries rarely have the potential to leave you permanently deformed. I am sure your wife would be much more impressed by a serious lifting injury.
Have you ever shared the details of this one with us? I believe that you mentioned it was a torn pec. Was it the bench press that did you in? It sounds incredibly painful.

I understand that 'roids can signicantly weaken muscles and tendons. Anything else you'd like to share, ie. cycle timing, methodology, waste disposal...?
bluegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 07:06 PM   #12
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Well, if you want advice on how to injure yourself lifting instead of running, I am sure I can help out. I mean running injuries rarely have the potential to leave you permanently deformed. I am sure your wife would be much more impressed by a serious lifting injury.
I'm having a double hernia repair (inguinal) next week. I've had them for years and have been able to lift heavy without pain until very recently. I had them even before I got into lifting, so I guess I can't blame lifting. I'm bummed because it'll be a minimum of 6 weeks before I'm able to lift again. The Doctor says he thinks I could resume running at 3 weeks but I have my doubts about that.

I'm curious to hear your story. It was a torn pec right?
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 07:19 PM   #13
pelagius

pelagius is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegoose View Post
Have you ever shared the details of this one with us? I believe that you mentioned it was a torn pec. Was it the bench press that did you in? It sounds incredibly painful.
It was a torn pec (I mentioned it in that fun injury thread we did a while ago). It was by far the most painful injury that I have had.

I was bench pressing at the time. The sad part is that it wasn't a massive amount of weight (285 pounds) and it was part of a normal workout; I certainly wasn't able to go out in a blaze of glory (tearing your pec with anything less the 3 plates is just plain embaressing). It is just really weird to feel your muscle rip as you push upward. I remember it started to rip when I was about a third of the way up on the first rep and I could feel and hear ripping as the weight came crashing down. It did leave me deformed, but you can really only see the deformity if I flex.

It was a real blow to my ego; I am not even the strongest guy among the ultra nerdy group of people I coauthor with anymore. Here is my Harvard Business School coauthor benching (I actually think I can probably bench a decent amount now but I don't do flat bench anymore -- too scared):

Actually, I was never stronger than him but I like to rationalize about it (although he is using a Bench Shirt, but he was still stronger even raw plus the shirt is only single ply).

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegoose View Post
I understand that 'roids can signicantly weaken muscles and tendons. Anything else you'd like to share, ie. cycle timing, methodology, waste disposal...?
I wish that I had a glamorous excuse like that for the injury. My problem was just some bad luck and neglect related to not worrying about muscle imbalances and being too aggressive as I got older.

Last edited by pelagius; 01-17-2008 at 07:30 PM.
pelagius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 08:49 PM   #14
K-dog

K-dog is on a distinguished road

Quote:
It was a torn pec (I mentioned it in that fun injury thread we did a while ago). It was by far the most painful injury that I have had.

I was bench pressing at the time. The sad part is that it wasn't a massive amount of weight (285 pounds) and it was part of a normal workout; I certainly wasn't able to go out in a blaze of glory (tearing your pec with anything less the 3 plates is just plain embaressing). It is just really weird to feel your muscle rip as you push upward. I remember it started to rip when I was about a third of the way up on the first rep and I could feel and hear ripping as the weight came crashing down. It did leave me deformed, but you can really only see the deformity if I flex.

It was a real blow to my ego; I am not even the strongest guy among the ultra nerdy group of people I coauthor with anymore. Here is my Harvard Business School coauthor benching (I actually think I can probably bench a decent amount now but I don't do flat bench anymore -- too scared):

Actually, I was never stronger than him but I like to rationalize about it (although he is using a Bench Shirt, but he was still stronger even raw plus the shirt is only single ply).

I wish that I had a glamorous excuse like that for the injury. My problem was just some bad luck and neglect related to not worrying about muscle imbalances and being too aggressive as I got older.
Wat is a Bench Shirt and why would single ply be a mitigating factor?

K-dog

P.S. Grrrrrrrrr
K-dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 09:26 PM   #15
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-dog View Post
http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/cyberpump5.htm
Old 01-17-2008, 10:36 PM   #16
pelagius

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-dog View Post
Guys are doing an insane amount of weight (1000+ pounds) using triple ply shirts. Don't get me wrong, these guys are super strong, but the triple ply shirts have really increased the amount of weight people can do. Single ply helps a person lift more but it is nowhere near as effective as the triple ply stuff.

Here is a guy doing 1036 pounds and it gives you a good look at the shirt:

Last edited by pelagius; 01-17-2008 at 10:49 PM.
pelagius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 11:09 PM   #17
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

What was the travel on that lift 6"?
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 05:41 PM   #18
pelagius

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBlue View Post
What was the travel on that lift 6"?