cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Current Events

Old 08-14-2007, 07:32 PM   #31
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
Feeding time at the zoo.
I'm pretty sure that's a racist comment.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 07:45 PM   #32
Sleeping in EQ

Sleeping in EQ is an unknown quantity at this point

Nobody with any sense wants more murderers in this country. If that was your point, it seems like it could have been forgone.

Which is why racist discourse seems to be lurking around that post. What you wrote invokes the old, "well, there are the good, clean-cut articulate ones and then there are the bad ones," rhetoric that gets deployed against most any minority (including against whites when they are in the minority) by bigots who want to soft-pedal their prejudices.

Anti-immigration rhetoric and racism have gone hand in hand for a long time. Historically, nobody in the U.S. talked about immigrant quotas when it was pasty Western and Northern Europeans coming over (except those "hard scrabble" Irish Catholics, of course). "When the sweet Norwegian couple moved in across the street it was just wonderful. But those Vietnamese? They better stay in their own neighborhood." People started talking about quotas and about slowing the "tide" of immigration when it was all of those "other" kinds of people. We don't want too many of "them," it was said.

No doubt, Tex, you weren't considering this context when you posted. I'm sure you'll clarify all of this toot sweet.
"Do not despise the words of prophets, but test everything; hold fast to what is good; " 1 Thess. 5:21 (NRSV)

We all trust our own unorthodoxies.

Last edited by Sleeping in EQ; 08-14-2007 at 07:52 PM.
Sleeping in EQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 07:46 PM   #33
NorCal Cat

NorCal Cat

Quote:
Are Mexican immigrants more likely to commit murder than peoples born in the USA? That's the only purpose I can think of of your posting this. Cite please.
No jackass. The purpose of posting a link to that article would be to show that our complete lack of border control, and failure of law enforcement to report illegal aliens to ICE after being arrested has resulted in the tragic murders of these kids in Newark.
NorCal Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 07:50 PM   #34
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
The difference is that everyone is a teenager at one point in their lives and you didn't single out teenagers of an immutable class. Your post proves my point. The very reason you said "teenagers" is that teenagers as a class are recognized as deficit relative to more mature people--they haven't lived as long, their hormones are screwed up, they are experiening separation urge, their brains may still be slightly smaller than full grown adults, etc.--and there is nothing wrong with implicitly suggesting that about teenagers. All of us were once teenagers, and they grow out of being teenagers.

But it is most emphaticallly wrong to say something that implies blacks or Hispanics or whatever race or ethnic group are by and large deficit relative to the rest of us. This has nothing to do with liberals or conservatives. Surely you are smart enough to see the distinction. Thanks for helping me to drive the point home.
"Surely you are smart enough to see the distinction." Are you saying if I don't I am dumb? Would that be because I didn't mature beyond my teenage years or because I am white or because I am old. I don't know why you are singling me out as not being smart enough if I don't agree with you.

Perhaps you are prejudice against non-liberals. I still like you despite the fact you are prejudice.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 07:51 PM   #35
NorCal Cat

NorCal Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeping in EQ View Post
Nobody with any sense wants more murderers in this country. If that was your point, it seems like it could have been forgone.

Which is why racist discourse seems to be lurking around that post. What you wrote invokes the old, "well, there are the good, clean-cut articulate ones and then there are the bad ones," rhetoric that gets deployed against most any minority (including against whites when they are in the minority) by bigots who want to soft-pedal their prejudices.

Anti-immigration rhetoric and racism have gone hand in hand for a long time. Historically, nobody in the U.S. talked about immigrant quotas when it was pasty Western and Northern Europeans coming over (except those "hard scrabble" Irish Catholics, of course). "When the sweet Norwegian couple moved in across the street it was just wonderful. But those Vietnamese? They better stay in their own neighborhood." People started talking about quotas when it was all of those "other" kinds of people. We don't want too many of "them," it was said.

No doubt you weren't considering this context when you posted. I'm sure you'll clarify all of this toot sweet.

Oh brother. Wanting secure borders and an immigration policy has nothing to do with race. The open borders crowd, and people like you are the ones that always play the race card. There's nothing racist about demanding the federal government to fulfill their constitutional duty of controlling our nation's borders.
NorCal Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 07:56 PM   #36
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Cat View Post
No jackass. The purpose of posting a link to that article would be to show that our complete lack of border control, and failure of law enforcement to report illegal aliens to ICE after being arrested has resulted in the tragic murders of these kids in Newark.
It is also a well-known form of racism and nativism to use a sinlge bad act by a member of a minority or immigrant class to inflame majority prejudices and hatreds against the minority class.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 07:58 PM   #37
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
It is also a well-known form of racism and nativism to use a sinlge bad act by a member of a minority or immigrant class to inflame majority prejudices and hatreds against the minority class.
Which would be a good reason to call the MMM film that just came out a biggotted film. Right??
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 07:59 PM   #38
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Cat View Post
Oh brother. Wanting secure borders and an immigration policy has nothing to do with race. The open borders crowd, and people like you are the ones that always play the race card. There's nothing racist about demanding the federal government to fulfill their constitutional duty of controlling our nation's borders.
Oh brother, we have an angry white man here. I'm sorry you feel they are occupying attractive jobs you would like to have. Why don't you tend your own garden? Try worrying about only NorCat. How about sprucing up your resume, going to night school?

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 07:59 PM   #39
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
OK, let's stop background checks of who teaches our children.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 08:00 PM   #40
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Are Mexican immigrants more likely to commit murder than peoples born in the USA? That's the only purpose I can think of of your posting this. Cite please.
They should be infinitely less likely to commit crimes because we should know who is coming in and not allow any convicts to immigrate.