cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Fitness and Wellness

Old 04-22-2008, 04:21 AM   #21
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
and I was a AAU national champion in the mile relay.

But guess what--I HATE RUNNING!!!!!

(esp. distance running).
It requires work, so we know.
Old 04-22-2008, 11:44 PM   #22
PaloAltoCougar

PaloAltoCougar is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner Coug View Post
You and me both, brother. My best is 3:46, and I worked my butt off all summer for that.
That's impressive. It reminds me of a Rex Lee story. During an Antitrust class in '79, I think, the guy next to me raised his hand during a case discussion and asked, "Dean Lee, some of us have a betting pool going on with respect to your upcoming performance in the Boston Marathon. Can you slip me some inside info?" Rex responded, "What's the current line?" "Even money at 3:10," I believe was the answer. Rex lowered his head for a moment, and then responded quite firmly, "Bet on me." We did, and we/he won. That seems awfully fast, but he was very fit, so perhaps my memory isn't off.
PaloAltoCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 12:33 AM   #23
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
That's impressive. It reminds me of a Rex Lee story. During an Antitrust class in '79, I think, the guy next to me raised his hand during a case discussion and asked, "Dean Lee, some of us have a betting pool going on with respect to your upcoming performance in the Boston Marathon. Can you slip me some inside info?" Rex responded, "What's the current line?" "Even money at 3:10," I believe was the answer. Rex lowered his head for a moment, and then responded quite firmly, "Bet on me." We did, and we/he won. That seems awfully fast, but he was very fit, so perhaps my memory isn't off.
Some people surprise you.

We had a member in my ward, whom I regarded as "older", when I was in my early thirties, that while in his fifties, ran a 2:42 at St. George. It still boggles my mind. In his sixties, such speed did him in and he often experienced injuries.

So I refuse to race marathons. Okay, that's the excuse that I tell people.
Old 04-23-2008, 12:43 AM   #24
Runner Coug

Runner Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Your memory is right on. He ran the '81 Boston in 3 hours 7 minutes 29 seconds.

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpag...pagewanted=all
Runner Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 01:00 AM   #25
PaloAltoCougar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Some people surprise you.

We had a member in my ward, whom I regarded as "older", when I was in my early thirties, that while in his fifties, ran a 2:42 at St. George. It still boggles my mind. In his sixties, such speed did him in and he often experienced injuries.

So I refuse to race marathons. Okay, that's the excuse that I tell people.
Speaking of old people, my brother, five years my senior, is trying to cram as much excitement into his life before heading to Fiji where he commences MP duty in July. Recently, he and four others, including a 71 year-old and a 77 year-old, hiked from the North Rim to the South Rim of the Grand Canyon in one day. I think it's around a 24-mile hike, but with some pretty stiff climbs. Today, that same group is cycling from LA to San Diego, an unsupported century, although if one regards every 7-11 as a rest station I'm sure they'll do fine. I suspect I'll be able to do both when I'm 77 only if my casket is equipped with casters.
Old 04-23-2008, 05:04 AM   #26
Archaea

Quote:
Speaking of old people, my brother, five years my senior, is trying to cram as much excitement into his life before heading to Fiji where he commences MP duty in July. Recently, he and four others, including a 71 year-old and a 77 year-old, hiked from the North Rim to the South Rim of the Grand Canyon in one day. I think it's around a 24-mile hike, but with some pretty stiff climbs. Today, that same group is cycling from LA to San Diego, an unsupported century, although if one regards every 7-11 as a rest station I'm sure they'll do fine. I suspect I'll be able to do both when I'm 77 only if my casket is equipped with casters.
You're doing the citizens' ride next year to Lotoja, and Viking and I will rest to watch YOU. And I didn't know you were almost seventy. I kinda thought you looked like a well preserved fifty something. Good to know I have something aspire to at your advanced seniority.
Old 04-23-2008, 04:00 PM   #27
PaloAltoCougar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
You're doing the citizens' ride next year to Lotoja, and Viking and I will rest to watch YOU. And I didn't know you were almost seventy. I kinda thought you looked like a well preserved fifty something. Good to know I have something aspire to at your advanced seniority.
Everything in this post is wrong. I am neither near 70, nor am I well preserved. and I have never heard of any Lotoja ride; is it a benefit for one of the lovely Jackson girls?