cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Current Events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Is healthcare in the U.S....
a right? 2 8.70%
a privilege? 6 26.09%
a responsibility? 15 65.22%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-08-2008, 07:03 PM   #51
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
Who is making health care free? I think you seriously misunderstand Obama's plan.
I guarantee you it won't be free for me. I'll be paying for others' free health care.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 07:05 PM   #52
SoCalCoug

SoCalCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon View Post
tsk tsk. That is SO nineties. This is the twenty-first century! Now we market our sexuality to make it to the front.
Yep. It works for me.

"Now perhaps as I spanked myself screaming out "Kozlowski, say it like you mean it bitch!" might have been out of line, but such was the mood." - Goatnapper

"If you want to fatten a pig up to make the pig MORE delicious, you can feed it almost anything. Seriously. The pig is like the car on Back to the Future. You put in garbage, and out comes something magical!" - Cali Coug
SoCalCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 07:07 PM   #53
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
Your line is very arbitrary. MRD has a good point.
Of course the line is arbitrary. It's just a matter of where you choose to draw it. We nearly all believe in some sort of social welfare. The question is what you include in the package. I believe a very basic health plan is something to include.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 07:09 PM   #54
Tex

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
Of course the line is arbitrary. It's just a matter of where you choose to draw it. We nearly all believe in some sort of social welfare. The question is what you include in the package. I believe a very basic health plan is something to include.
So why not choose to draw it much further out? How about buying each American a new car once every 5 years? How about loosening rules so people who can't afford a new home, can afford one?

Oh wait ...

- Cali Coug

- Brigham Young
Old 10-08-2008, 07:14 PM   #55
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
So why not choose to draw it much further out? How about buying each American a new car once every 5 years? How about loosening rules so people who can't afford a new home, can afford one?

Oh wait ...
Duh, because that's where I want to draw it.

What exactly are you arguing about?
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 07:17 PM   #56
Tex

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
Duh, because that's where I want to draw it.

What exactly are you arguing about?
Oh, ok. In that case, I'll argue for my line. I think America would benefit from providing the excesses of life for each citizen: car, flat-panel TV, all-expenses paid 4-week vacation to any stateside destination, etc.

How will I pay for it? Raise taxes on everyone making $250,000 or more. You read that right: if you make less than 1/4 million, you will NOT see your taxes go up! And you get all this cool stuff! What's not to love?

Paid for by Tex for President 2008

- Cali Coug

- Brigham Young
Old 10-08-2008, 07:33 PM   #57
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Who is making health care free? I think you seriously misunderstand Obama's plan.
Educate me then. How do you make people who ostensibly cannot afford health insurance pay the system back?
Old 10-08-2008, 07:42 PM   #58
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahDan View Post
Educate me then. How do you make people who ostensibly cannot afford health insurance pay the system back?
I agree with your concept of a safety net but I disagree completely with Obama's plan of another bureaucracy to monitor "health insurance."

There are groups where as a matter of social policy without finding a metaphysical reason for it, that I can see we should elect to support, the disabled, the mentally disabled, and some truly indigent.

I don't buy the evidence or argument that we will gain increased productivity in the workforce by paying through it as proposed by Hillary or the different but still government controlled proposal by Obama.

We cannot afford this proposal, and despite whatever a political optimist wishes to use to deceive us, there is no good reason to believe it. Medicare was only supposed to cost us 4 Billion Dollars by 1984 I believe it was, when in reality it cost 400 Billion Dollars. Why anybody would believe the numbers game to create another government entitlement program is beyond me.
Old 10-08-2008, 07:53 PM   #59
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahDan View Post
If they can't afford health insurance, they are enrolled with Medicare or Medicaid (as now). If they don't qualify (which presumably means they can pay something) their wages may be garnished to require them to pay.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 07:54 PM   #60
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
If they can't afford health insurance, they are enrolled with Medicare or Medicaid (as now). If they don't qualify (which presumably means they can pay something) their wages may be garnished to require them to pay.
Uh huh. What percentage of the actual cost is projected to be recouped in this fashion?