cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-07-2011, 12:29 PM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default SEC says without Baylor waiver, no admittance for A&M

that's the rumor anyway. The SEC doesn't want to be sued, and Baylor is apparently hanging onto the Big 12 like grim death. They know that there will be no soft landing if the Big 12 dissolves, and with OU and OSU agitating to leave the Big 12, the writing is on the wall.

Is it now possible that A&M would stay in the Big 12? That's hard to believe, given how far they have gone.

What does this mean for BYU? The worst scenario has always been the Big 12 dissolving completely, because none of the other conferences (except perhaps the Big East) would have any interest in BYU.

If the Big 12 stays together, it will be a very acrimonious marriage, so to speak. It will remain unstable. And who knows if they would want to expand to 12 teams. I would think that Beebe and others SHOULD want to go to 12 teams, if only for conference stability such that one or two members leaving wouldn't cause the conference to fold, at least theoretically (OU or Texas leaving probably WOULD kill the conference).

I don't have any optimism at all that BYU will end up in the Big12 anytime soon. It's too risky for BYU.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 03:17 PM   #2
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
that's the rumor anyway. The SEC doesn't want to be sued, and Baylor is apparently hanging onto the Big 12 like grim death. They know that there will be no soft landing if the Big 12 dissolves, and with OU and OSU agitating to leave the Big 12, the writing is on the wall.

Is it now possible that A&M would stay in the Big 12? That's hard to believe, given how far they have gone.

What does this mean for BYU? The worst scenario has always been the Big 12 dissolving completely, because none of the other conferences (except perhaps the Big East) would have any interest in BYU.

If the Big 12 stays together, it will be a very acrimonious marriage, so to speak. It will remain unstable. And who knows if they would want to expand to 12 teams. I would think that Beebe and others SHOULD want to go to 12 teams, if only for conference stability such that one or two members leaving wouldn't cause the conference to fold, at least theoretically (OU or Texas leaving probably WOULD kill the conference).

I don't have any optimism at all that BYU will end up in the Big12 anytime soon. It's too risky for BYU.
The Big 12 is a Big Mess, and we'd do well to tread cautiously. With BYU's luck, it will end up as the BSU of the Big 12 ... arriving at the party to find out that everyone worthwhile has already left.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 03:44 PM   #3
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
The Big 12 is a Big Mess, and we'd do well to tread cautiously. With BYU's luck, it will end up as the BSU of the Big 12 ... arriving at the party to find out that everyone worthwhile has already left.
Caution is in order but not too much. Remember the Big XII has BCS guarantees. If OU left but Texas stays, it might be a good conference to got to a BCS bowl. We need a path to potential super conferences. We need better scheduling options. We need better bowls. The Big XII offers that.
Old 09-07-2011, 04:54 PM   #4
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Caution is in order but not too much. Remember the Big XII has BCS guarantees. If OU left but Texas stays, it might be a good conference to got to a BCS bowl. We need a path to potential super conferences. We need better scheduling options. We need better bowls. The Big XII offers that.
I'm not disagreeing with that, but a Big 12 without UT and/or OU and/or Missouri (etc, etc) could be at risk of no longer being a BCS conference. Then again, the pitiful Big East still has their bid, so what do I know.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 04:16 AM   #5
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
I'm not disagreeing with that, but a Big 12 without UT and/or OU and/or Missouri (etc, etc) could be at risk of no longer being a BCS conference. Then again, the pitiful Big East still has their bid, so what do I know.
As long as the Big 12 exists in some fashion, it will be a BCS conference. The only question is whether it will exist in some fashion. I'd put my money firmly in the "yes" category. Texas will have to swallow its pride and loosen the reigns of control over the Big 12, but eventually they will realize that loose control in the Big 12 is better than little to no control in the Pac 12.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote