cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-13-2011, 12:39 AM   #1
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Texas, er, Big XII wants ND, BYU and AFA

in that order in the Big XII to replace TAMU!

https://twitter.com/#!/kbohls
Old 08-13-2011, 01:43 AM   #2
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I keep hearing in published articles that the Big 12 wants to turn to Houston to replace A&M.

Probably most of you have no concept of what a ****ty school the Univ. of Houston is. High schools in Texas have nicer facilities than Houston. If they turned to UH that would be a huge slap on the face of BYU.

But having said that, I wouldn't be heartbroken if BYU did not join the Big 12. As I have little confidence that the Big 12 will hold together. There is absolutely no unity and everyone hates and distrusts each other.

Staying independent wouldn't be much worse.

However, in basketball, clearly the Big 12 would be better than the WCC. No doubt about it.

We'll see what happens. But I would not have my hopes up at all if I were a BYU fan, that this will end up in BYU's favor, whether BYU joins or not.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 08:26 PM   #3
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Houston would be a dumb choice by the Big XII.

My bet is ND turns the Big XII down.

BYU will depend upon whether it has enough scheduling independence, gets accommodation on Sunday play and gets to continue using byu.tv. If that happens, BYU is Big XII bound unless Texas politics mandates Houston is selected. The Big XII does not need Houston for that market as UT already commands it.

If Big XII selects Houston over BYU Big XII is dead and Beebe would be an idiot.
Old 08-13-2011, 09:35 PM   #4
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Houston would be a dumb choice by the Big XII.

My bet is ND turns the Big XII down.

BYU will depend upon whether it has enough scheduling independence, gets accommodation on Sunday play and gets to continue using byu.tv. If that happens, BYU is Big XII bound unless Texas politics mandates Houston is selected. The Big XII does not need Houston for that market as UT already commands it.

If Big XII selects Houston over BYU Big XII is dead and Beebe would be an idiot.
BYU's viability as an independent or member of a conference rests, in my opinion, on whether or not OU and Texas stay in the Big 12. If they don't, BYU is in for some problems. That would mean the Big 12 is poached by everyone. The Pac 12 goes to 16 (taking 4 from the old Big 12 because nobody else will meet their standards, including BYU). The Big 10 takes from either Big 12 or ACC/Big East, and the SEC takes from Big 12 or ACC. Not much is left of the Big 12 other than some garbage for football (Iowa State, KU, KState, Baylor, if even that- KU and K-State would make sense for Pac 12 if they can't get OU/OSU/Texas). ND would feel huge pressure to join Big 10, further weakening BYU's position as an independent.

If, however, Texas and OU stay, so too will OSU, KU, KState, etc. Add BYU to that group and it's quite nice. ND would be a pipe dream to add unless they feel the pressure to join a superconference, but then Big 10 would likely be first pick unless Big 10 would demand ND tv revenue. BYU could even remain independent if ND did too, as long as the Big 12 stayed more or less intact.

The Big 12 needs to be far more proactive. Problem is, nobody in the Big 12 is certain they like it anymore. Texas is too heavy handed. If they could get their act together, they could poach some Pac 12 teams (thinking Arizona and ASU). Not a bad market for tv. Add BYU and Louisville. That's big tv value. Maybe even add AFA. Consider offer for TCU (Big East is about to die and they will need a home soon). Boise would be nice.

Unfortunately, that takes a vision, and the Big 12 is lacking that right now. It could look like this even if Missouri leaves for SEC as is reported:

Big 12 East:

Louisville
Texas
TCU
Baylor
ISU
OSU
TT

Big 12 West:

Boise
Arizona
ASU
BYU
KU
KState
OU

If Texas and OU stay, only AU and ASU would be a stretch to add of the teams listed, and they are notoriously discontented with the Pac 10. It's possible.

Could that configuration lure in ND and Arkansas as the last 2? Probably not. But letting ND control tv might do the trick if they think they need a conference, and if ND comes, Arkansas would too.

Texas and OU are the key to everything for BYU's future.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 10:48 PM   #5
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

BYU would have a hard time saying no to a Big 12 invite, but at the same time, they could be very skeptical about the future of the conference. If I am BYU, I might ask for some gargantuan ironclad riders that would make further conference defections unlikely. Otherwise I just stay independent and give the Big 12 the finger.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote