cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Professional Sports
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-01-2007, 04:11 AM   #1
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Garnett is a Boston Celtic...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070801/...eltics_garnett

Poor Kobe. Garnett didn't really want to play with him.

Bwahahaha!

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 12:21 PM   #2
DrumNFeather
Active LDS Ute Fan

DrumNFeather is an unknown quantity at this point

It'll be interesting to see how this works out in the east.

I know everyone says the east sucks etc...but these guys still have to learn to play together, and they need a supporting cast.

As John Hollinger puts it, there is a lot of potential, but right now, they're nothing more than a blown up version of the Washington Wizards.
Old 08-01-2007, 01:15 PM   #3
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
As John Hollinger puts it, there is a lot of potential, but right now, they're nothing more than a blown up version of the Washington Wizards.
Quoting John Hollinger should get you a minimum 1-week NBA discussion ban.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 08:12 PM   #4
TheSizzle36

TheSizzle36 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Huh?

I'm sorry, but KG + Paul Pierce + Ray Allen is much better than Antawn Jamison, Gilbert Arenas and Caron Butler (I'm assuming he is the 3rd player there, right?)

Gilbert is a better slasher than Paul Pierce, but KG is superior to Jamison and Allen is superior to Caron Butler. I also think KG, Allen and Pierce compliment each other better than Washington's big 3.

Now, I do think they need to learn to play together. But I think they'll be able to do it.
TheSizzle36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 08:19 PM   #5
DrumNFeather
Active LDS Ute Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSizzle36 View Post
Huh?

I'm sorry, but KG + Paul Pierce + Ray Allen is much better than Antawn Jamison, Gilbert Arenas and Caron Butler (I'm assuming he is the 3rd player there, right?)

Gilbert is a better slasher than Paul Pierce, but KG is superior to Jamison and Allen is superior to Caron Butler. I also think KG, Allen and Pierce compliment each other better than Washington's big 3.

Now, I do think they need to learn to play together. But I think they'll be able to do it.
I'm not comparing the three, but I did think his point was interesting. You can have three big scorers, and if there is no defense to speak of, it won't matter.

Washington was the only eastern conference team to average over 100 points per game last year, and that was with Arenas and Butler hurt for various stretches. It was good enough to have them in first at the all star break, but not enough for them to hold on.

The Celtics should easily be in the top half of the east with this move, but outscoring other teams will only get you so far (See: Dallas, Golden State etc).

I like the trade because it is helping to make the east relevant again. If the Celtics can rise to the top, with LeBron, Wade, & Areanas leading their respective teams...the east will again become relevant. Which is the most important thing in order for the league to be a success.
Old 08-01-2007, 08:19 PM   #6
DrumNFeather
Active LDS Ute Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
Quoting John Hollinger should get you a minimum 1-week NBA discussion ban.
Could be worse...i could quote Steven A. Smith, or Collin Cowherd (who said today that Boston won't win any titles with this triad)
Old 08-01-2007, 08:47 PM   #7
TheSizzle36

Quote:
I'm not comparing the three, but I did think his point was interesting. You can have three big scorers, and if there is no defense to speak of, it won't matter.
Here is the difference: KG is an excellent defender. One of the best defenders at the 4 spot, I'd dare say. And KG can guard the 4 or the 5.

Pierce and Allen are also, IMO, under-rated defenders. Granted, I don't think Boston will be grinding games out, but when they need a stop, Garnett can man up on the toughest 4/5, and Pierce can take the toughest 2/3. Tony Allen is also a defensive stopper, although he is coming off of an injury.

IMO, KG is the key to all of this.
Old 08-02-2007, 01:30 AM   #8
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSizzle36 View Post
Here is the difference: KG is an excellent defender. One of the best defenders at the 4 spot, I'd dare say. And KG can guard the 4 or the 5.

Pierce and Allen are also, IMO, under-rated defenders. Granted, I don't think Boston will be grinding games out, but when they need a stop, Garnett can man up on the toughest 4/5, and Pierce can take the toughest 2/3. Tony Allen is also a defensive stopper, although he is coming off of an injury.

IMO, KG is the key to all of this.
I agree KG is a very good defender, he can guard imo all 5 positions for stretches. Tony Allen is a poor mans Paul Millsap, and Kedrick Perkins teamed with KG will be just fine at Center. I am not as sold on Pierce as sizzle is, but he is adequate.

The reason i like this trade is because now i have a chance to prove my theory correct, i have been saying it for years:

Certain players are perennial losers, no matter who they play with they are losers, they will never win an NBA title because they just dont know how to win, they will score tons of points get huge contracts but never win. A few of my examples:

1. Stephon Marbury
2. Steve Francis
3. Tracy Mcgrady
4. Paul Pierce
5. Ray Allen

Now if you steal a ring like Michael Finley and you are not the go to guy then you still have the perennial loser tag on you.

The second half of my theory is that no matter how many perennial losers you put on a team they still wont win. Even if you have Paul Pierce, Ray Allen and KG on one team i still dont theink they win a title. You could add imo Tmac and Marbury and they still dont win.
Old 08-02-2007, 02:02 AM   #9
TheSizzle36

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougjunkie View Post
Certain players are perennial losers, no matter who they play with they are losers, they will never win an NBA title because they just dont know how to win, they will score tons of points get huge contracts but never win. A few of my examples:

1. Stephon Marbury
2. Steve Francis
3. Tracy Mcgrady
4. Paul Pierce
5. Ray Allen

Now if you steal a ring like Michael Finley and you are not the go to guy then you still have the perennial loser tag on you.

The second half of my theory is that no matter how many perennial losers you put on a team they still wont win. Even if you have Paul Pierce, Ray Allen and KG on one team i still dont theink they win a title. You could add imo Tmac and Marbury and they still dont win.
Interesting theory, although I wouldn't put those players in that mold. MAYBE Ray Allen could qualify, but not Pierce or Garnett. On a side note all three of those players carried a team where they were the star player to the conference finals (Ray Allen, Milwaukee in 2001, Pierce in 2002, Garnett in 2004) McGrady, Francis and Marbury never did that. You don't get that far without being a winner, IMO. I think these three players are a good fit together, they are all competitors, and I don't think they are the favorite to win it all, I think they can compete.
Old 08-02-2007, 03:46 AM   #10
Surfah
Master

Surfah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Surfah Send a message via MSN to Surfah

I still think the Allen trade was bad. He's diminishing returns. In the comparison to Caron Butler above, it's not a good one by the way, but I take Butler over Allen any day of the week.

I just don't see this working out at all. Garnett is a post player who can also face up. But he needs the ball to work. Pierce needs the ball to operate and be successful. And unless Ray Allen turns into Reggie Miller over night running around picks all game to hit spot up jumpers then he's going to fall off even faster than I already suspect he will.

They trade away all of their young talent and future with picks. They are banking on the now. While bold, I think this thing will blow up in Danny's face. But convincing KG to do a sign and trade because he has a shot at a title? Well, hell that deserves consideration for exec of the year.

Charles Barkley: "20 pts and 10 rebounds will get you through also!"
Surfah is offline   Reply With Quote