cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Professional Sports
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-16-2007, 04:20 PM   #1
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road
Default Beckham in the MSL

The SI article on Beckham and the detail on the financials and the marketing strategy of the MSL was fascinating.

Also fascinating to learn was that Simon of American Idol is Beckham's manager and advisor and the brains behind the deal.

I love soccer as a sport. I hope it surpasses baseball as the #3 sport in USA. Nothing is worse than watching a youth baseball game. Ball, ball, strike, strike, ball, ball. walk. ball, ball, strike, strike, ball, strike strike out.

But the USA has got to be competitive in the World Cup and MSL has got to be competitive for USA to catch on.

Ronaldino, Christiano Ronaldo, the great African strikers, Zidane, Lamphard, Gerrard, the great Brazilian and Argentine players. These guys are amazing athletes and fun to watch. MSL scrubs not so much.

The Beckham deal and aggressive strategy by MSL seem like a pretty smart thing, and I think it has a chance to catch on. I'm not a soccer nazi and I don't follow RSL, but I'm rooting for it to work.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 04:25 PM   #2
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
The SI article on Beckham and the detail on the financials and the marketing strategy of the MSL was fascinating.

Also fascinating to learn was that Simon of American Idol is Beckham's manager and advisor and the brains behind the deal.

I love soccer as a sport. I hope it surpasses baseball as the #3 sport in USA. Nothing is worse than watching a youth baseball game. Ball, ball, strike, strike, ball, ball. walk. ball, ball, strike, strike, ball, strike strike out.

But the USA has got to be competitive in the World Cup and MSL has got to be competitive for USA to catch on.

Ronaldino, Christiano Ronaldo, the great African strikers, Zidane, Lamphard, Gerrard, the great Brazilian and Argentine players. These guys are amazing athletes and fun to watch. MSL scrubs not so much.

The Beckham deal and aggressive strategy by MSL seem like a pretty smart thing, and I think it has a chance to catch on. I'm not a soccer nazi and I don't follow RSL, but I'm rooting for it to work.
Beckham will boost soccer's popularity. I hope it stays behind baseball though.

If you find youth baseball boring, then you either have lousy youth baseball in your area or you don't understand the beauty of baseball.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 04:29 PM   #3
TheSizzle36

TheSizzle36 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post

MSL won't pass up MBL. At least not until people can get the abbreviations of the league correct... MLS, not MSL.
TheSizzle36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 04:29 PM   #4
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSizzle36 View Post
MSL won't pass up MBL. At least not until people can get the abbreviations of the league correct... MLS, not MSL.
MLB, not MBL.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
Old 07-16-2007, 04:30 PM   #5
TheSizzle36

TheSizzle36 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
MLB, not MBL.
I know. Baseball = MLB. Soccer = MLS.

Silly Ute...
TheSizzle36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 04:31 PM   #6
DrumNFeather
Active LDS Ute Fan

DrumNFeather is an unknown quantity at this point

Cue the MPFunk response detailing how Beckham and Soccer fans in general should be castrated for even suggesting the idea that MLS would ever surpass MLB in popularity.
Old 07-16-2007, 04:31 PM   #7
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSizzle36 View Post
I know. Baseball = MLB. Soccer = MLS.

Silly Ute...

Old 07-16-2007, 04:35 PM   #8
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I can't respect baseball.

All you have to do is compare the fates of Landis and Bonds.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 04:38 PM   #9
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:

If you find youth baseball boring, then you either have lousy youth baseball in your area or you don't understand the beauty of baseball.
I understand the beauty of baseball. I just don't find it beautiful. I grew up in a baseball family, and I played through high school.

I've seen good youth baseball games, but the majority of games for the majority of players is a waste of time.

It's sad to see the decline of baseball from a nostalgia point of view, knowing the history and the place it had in my childhood. But soccer deserves a place in the big 3 of American sports, and it's a matter of time before it happens... (maybe 20 years maybe 100 years but it's a matter of time)
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 04:52 PM   #10
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

What is the beauty of youth baseball?

I really don't understand the beauty of it. I can see some of the strategies, but fascination with it, does not come to me naturally. There were years when the Royals flourished that I enjoyed it.

I see the geometry, the shifts, the plays to move runners along, but all in all, it moves so slowly.

At the youth level, the skill level is so poor, nothing is really done.