cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-06-2009, 12:30 AM   #1
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road
Default Gov't controlled political speech

Politico reports Debbie Stabenow (D-MI) has renewed talk of the Fairness Doctrine. It's really hard to believe they would do something this stupid, especially on the heels of retaking/strengthening all elected national branches.

But after Obama elevated Rush Limbaugh to be his primary ideological foe, and his sinking poll numbers on the pork bill, it seems they are truly afraid. They keep saying conservatism is dead, yet they are terrified of it to the point of abuse of power.

The fireworks will be guaranteed entertaining.

http://cougarguard.com/forum/newthre...newthread&f=10

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 01:59 AM   #2
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

this is how it works. a party comes to power over several years, til finally they have a strong ruling coalition, and the other party is in tatters. But then they get arrogant and lose their way. While the other party reorganizes, eventually coelescing around a charasmatic person, and puts up a spirited defense and finally a win and then they become the ruling party and it starts all over.

Personally I still think the GOP is intellectually bankrupt. But so are the democrats.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 02:38 PM   #3
Tex

Tom Harkin (who's been on this train before) is back on it again. He told Bill Press, who is host of his own failing radio talk show, that he wants it back.

Press makes this howler in the WaPo:

Quote:
Starting tomorrow, our nation's capital, where Democrats control the House, the Senate and the White House, and where Democrats outnumber Republicans 10 to one, will have no progressive voices on the air.

Or maybe one.

To mollify critics, Red Zebra has said it will add Ed Schultz to its conservative lineup on 570 AM. This means Shultz will be outgunned in this market by at least 15 conservative talkers: Limbaugh, Sean Hannity, Laura Ingraham, Mark Levin, Chris Plante, Michael Smerconish, Michael Savage, Andy Parks, Fred Grandy, Bill Bennett, Monica Crowley, Bill O'Reilly, Dennis Miller and Lars Larsen. No matter how good Schultz is, that's not a fair contest -- nor a fair use of the public airwaves.

Unfortunately, what's happening in Washington reflects what has happened in one city after another across the country. In Miami, Clear Channel recently dumped progressive talk for sports: Clear Channel stations made the same move in San Diego and Cincinnati. Sacramento abandoned progressive talk for gospel music. In fact, according to a study released by the Center for American Progress and Free Press, there are nine hours of conservative talk for every one hour of progressive talk.
Translation: no one will buy our product, so we need gov't to force it on you, first amendment be damned.

- Cali Coug

- Brigham Young
Old 02-11-2009, 09:15 PM   #4
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Camille Paglia

Quote:
Speaking of talk radio (which I listen to constantly), I remain incredulous that any Democrat who professes liberal values would give a moment's thought to supporting a return of the Fairness Doctrine to muzzle conservative shows. (My latest manifesto on this subject appeared in my last column.) The failure of liberals to master the vibrant medium of talk radio remains puzzling. To reach the radio audience (whether the topic is sports, politics or car repair), a host must have populist instincts and use the robust common voice. Too many Democrats have become arrogant elitists, speaking down in snide, condescending tones toward tradition-minded middle Americans whom they stereotype as rubes and buffoons. But the bottom line is that government surveillance of the ideological content of talk radio is a shocking first step toward totalitarianism.

One of the nuggets I've gleaned from several radio sources is that Michigan Sen. Debbie Stabenow, who has been in the aggressive forefront of the campaign to reinstate the Fairness Doctrine, is married to Tom Athans, who works extensively with left-wing radio organizations and was once the executive vice-president of Air America, the liberal radio syndicate that, despite massive publicity from major media, has failed miserably to win a national audience. Stabenow's outrageous conflict of interest has of course been largely ignored by the prestige press, which should have been demanding that she recuse herself from all political involvement with this issue.
http://www.salon.com/opinion/paglia/...2/11/stimulus/
Old 02-11-2009, 09:15 PM   #5
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Camille Paglia

Quote:
Speaking of talk radio (which I listen to constantly), I remain incredulous that any Democrat who professes liberal values would give a moment's thought to supporting a return of the Fairness Doctrine to muzzle conservative shows. (My latest manifesto on this subject appeared in my last column.) The failure of liberals to master the vibrant medium of talk radio remains puzzling. To reach the radio audience (whether the topic is sports, politics or car repair), a host must have populist instincts and use the robust common voice. Too many Democrats have become arrogant elitists, speaking down in snide, condescending tones toward tradition-minded middle Americans whom they stereotype as rubes and buffoons. But the bottom line is that government surveillance of the ideological content of talk radio is a shocking first step toward totalitarianism.

One of the nuggets I've gleaned from several radio sources is that Michigan Sen. Debbie Stabenow, who has been in the aggressive forefront of the campaign to reinstate the Fairness Doctrine, is married to Tom Athans, who works extensively with left-wing radio organizations and was once the executive vice-president of Air America, the liberal radio syndicate that, despite massive publicity from major media, has failed miserably to win a national audience. Stabenow's outrageous conflict of interest has of course been largely ignored by the prestige press, which should have been demanding that she recuse herself from all political involvement with this issue.
http://www.salon.com/opinion/paglia/...2/11/stimulus/
Old 02-11-2009, 09:36 PM   #6
Tex

I can't figure Paglia sometimes. She's like the Left's version of Christopher Hitchens.

- Cali Coug

- Brigham Young