cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-26-2007, 08:27 PM   #1
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Default Gonzales just keeps digging...

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php...show_article=1
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 08:29 PM   #2
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Gonzales just doesn't get it. Not sure why he doesn't do the right thing and resign.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 08:54 PM   #3
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Tex: "Lastly, we all know this isn't about Gonzales. He's just the whipping boy for the great white whale: Karl Rove. Pat Leahy is as much an Ahab as anyone in Washington."

http://cougarguard.com/forum/showpos...43&postcount=6

The Hill: "Leahy issues subpoena for Rove"

http://thehill.com/leading-the-news/...007-07-26.html
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 03:22 PM   #4
Tex

John Hinderaker on Gonzales' supposed perjury.

http://powerlineblog.com/archives/018349.php
Old 07-27-2007, 03:24 PM   #5
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
John Hinderaker on Gonzales' supposed perjury.

http://powerlineblog.com/archives/018349.php
The premise of this blog post is that Gonzales wouldn't do something stupid.

Good luck with that.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 03:32 PM   #6
Tex

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
The premise of this blog post is that Gonzales wouldn't do something stupid.

Good luck with that.
The premise of the anti-Bushites is that everyone in the administration is either stupid or evil. It's a nice little fantasy for the angry and nutty, but those still thinking rationally acknowledge that doesn't really make sense.
Old 07-27-2007, 03:37 PM   #7
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

I think Congress is out of control. One of my former partners was one of the fired U.S. Attorneys. He went to a small, middling midwestern law school, graduate sans honors, and had a quiet and competent private practice career. He does have some panache. In other words, he is a competent lawyer, but no Giulani or Brandeis. But his older brother was a big Bush fund raiser, and a U.S. Attorney before him, as were his fathers big Republican backers. My former partner went on to be a White House fellow under Bush Sr., then he worked in the administration in a lower level appointed job, and finally he raised a lot of money for GWB. He comes from a big conservative Catholic family.

My point is that these guys all got where they are based on political patronage pure and simple. So the way I see it, live by the sword, die by the sword. You don't play your cards right and get fire for political reasons, well, you played your cards right with the same people who fired you and got where you are. Mammon giveth and it taketh away. Big deal. There's no cognizable evidence this was an effort to sway ongoing investigations, prosecutions, etc.

I think Americans care little about this (as they did about the Clinton scandal). One thing I don't want is another special prosecutor running amok, spending tens of millions trying to destroy Gonzolez. Yes, I do loath Gonzoles and his minions, as I've stated before; I loath everything they stand for, and I think Gonzoles shaded the truth. But we need to do a cost-benefit analysis here, and the only reason Congress wants to go the purgery charges route is this scandal otherwise is dying a quick death because, seriously, no one cares.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 03:44 PM   #8
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

It's been repeated many times that the federal attorney in New Mexico was pressured to bring charges against democrats for voter fraud. Of course, everyone disputes that is why he was fired.

I don't get who Bush hires. Like this woman who was the Liason between the WH and the Justice Dept. She's 31 years old, and I was dumbfounded when I found out she had been in this job for 7 years!

And what about that woman that pleaded the 5th? She graduated from Pat Robertson U. and had no distinguishing credentials.

Kyle Sampson? Completely over his head and incompetnent BY HIS OWN ADMISSION.

I get the feeling this is just the tip of the iceberg.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 04:24 PM   #9
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
It's been repeated many times that the federal attorney in New Mexico was pressured to bring charges against democrats for voter fraud. Of course, everyone disputes that is why he was fired.

I don't get who Bush hires. Like this woman who was the Liason between the WH and the Justice Dept. She's 31 years old, and I was dumbfounded when I found out she had been in this job for 7 years!

And what about that woman that pleaded the 5th? She graduated from Pat Robertson U. and had no distinguishing credentials.

Kyle Sampson? Completely over his head and incompetnent BY HIS OWN ADMISSION.

I get the feeling this is just the tip of the iceberg.
I agree. The whole thing is reprehensible and rotton to the core, and the least of it is the firing of the U.S. Attorneys. Really they just turned on their own. But we are a democracy and if the American people don't care from the standpoint of Congress taking a club to the executive branch they should just leave these loathsome poeple to their political karma. I'm not in favor of these big special prosetor shows becaue they're very political and there is always pay back. It's a vicious circle. None of these people should be in public office, but I'm not convinced they deserve to go to jail, though were I dictator I'd be sorely tempted to put them away and torture them and stuff.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 05:50 PM   #10
BlueK

BlueK is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
The premise of the anti-Bushites is that everyone in the administration is either stupid or evil. It's a nice little fantasy for the angry and nutty, but those still thinking rationally acknowledge that doesn't really make sense.
No, Gonzales really does scare the crap out of me for good reason. Naturally, none of those many reasons will resonate with you anyway, so who cares.
BlueK is offline   Reply With Quote