cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Current Events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-16-2007, 05:15 PM   #1
marsupial

marsupial is on a distinguished road
Default Virginia Tech shooting

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/04/16/vte...ing/index.html
Sounds like it was even worse than Columbine.
Old 04-16-2007, 06:04 PM   #2
bYuPride

bYuPride is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsupial View Post
http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/04/16/vte...ing/index.html
Sounds like it was even worse than Columbine.
They are calling it the WORST shooting in American History... I'm watching it all at work right now.. unbelievable...
Get your BYU license plates http://dmv.utah.gov/licensecollegiate.html#byu You do not have to wait for your current registration to expire. Get your freakin' plates on your vehicle and be TRUE BLUE!!!!!!

"I'm on my beater bike"

Translation: I had this baby custom-made in Tuscany using titanium blessed by the Pope. I took it to a wind tunnel and it disappeared. It weighs less than a fart and costs more than a divorce.
bYuPride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 06:26 PM   #3
Surfah
Master

Surfah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Surfah Send a message via MSN to Surfah

I think my father is there with the FBI. I was watching it on the news at the gym this morning. Crazy indeed. Second shooting there in a year. And there were two bomb threats called in earlier this week. I have a few friends there. I hope they are well.

Charles Barkley: "20 pts and 10 rebounds will get you through also!"
Surfah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 10:07 PM   #4
TyronneBiggums

TyronneBiggums is on a distinguished road

Something like that really is a tragidy. Should never happen to anybody. My heart goes out to the familys involved.
TyronneBiggums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 10:36 PM   #5
fusnik11

fusnik11 is an unknown quantity at this point

33 dead, insane.

Is it time to start the discussion of gun control?

It's amazing the difference between, IMO, the spending of time in a large city in America compared to Europe.

I do understand this happened in college town America, but it's amazing that a normal U.S. citizen can arm himself with the ability to kill and injure over 40 people.
fusnik11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 11:21 PM   #6
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusnik11 View Post
33 dead, insane.

Is it time to start the discussion of gun control?

It's amazing the difference between, IMO, the spending of time in a large city in America compared to Europe.

I do understand this happened in college town America, but it's amazing that a normal U.S. citizen can arm himself with the ability to kill and injure over 40 people.
With the Columbine shooters, those guys couldn't legally buy any guns, yet they got them.

I think there may be an argument to gun control decreasing suicide, I haven't looked at the evidence too closely. But Japan, for example, has a much higher suicide rate. And as we know there are all kinds of ways to kill yourself.

Unfortunately there are all kinds of ways to kill people too.

I can't remember the number, but there are something like 100 million guns in circulation in the United States. Even a ban on ownership of guns wouldn't destroy all those guns (I personally wouldn't obey a ban, and neither would a sizeable number of gun owners). Point is, the cat is out of the bag.

To some degree this is like trying to prevent a sucker punch. You can do it, but we aren't prepared to put up with the hassle that is required. They could have metal detectors and x-ray machines in every building in the school. But sadly that wouldn't probably work either, with all the windows in buildings.

You look at other countries that basically almost ban guns, and they have had similar mass shootings.

These are infrequent events, and the ability to prevent them is close to nil.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 11:37 PM   #7
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
With the Columbine shooters, those guys couldn't legally buy any guns, yet they got them.

I think there may be an argument to gun control decreasing suicide, I haven't looked at the evidence too closely. But Japan, for example, has a much higher suicide rate. And as we know there are all kinds of ways to kill yourself.

Unfortunately there are all kinds of ways to kill people too.

I can't remember the number, but there are something like 100 million guns in circulation in the United States. Even a ban on ownership of guns wouldn't destroy all those guns (I personally wouldn't obey a ban, and neither would a sizeable number of gun owners). Point is, the cat is out of the bag.

To some degree this is like trying to prevent a sucker punch. You can do it, but we aren't prepared to put up with the hassle that is required. They could have metal detectors and x-ray machines in every building in the school. But sadly that wouldn't probably work either, with all the windows in buildings.

You look at other countries that basically almost ban guns, and they have had similar mass shootings.

These are infrequent events, and the ability to prevent them is close to nil.
Now, I know Mike is a true Texan.

BTW, I agree gun control won't work here and isn't the answer. These things will multiply.
Old 04-17-2007, 12:49 AM   #8
Surfah
Master

Surfah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Surfah Send a message via MSN to Surfah

Sad story. It turns out the HRT wasn't deployed but were ready to respond had it turned into a hostage situation. I am really hoping that some of my friends who attend there are okay.

Charles Barkley: "20 pts and 10 rebounds will get you through also!"
Surfah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 01:34 AM   #9
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't know whether gun control is the answer or not but all the talk on cougarboard stating: "see, this is why we should carry guns" was nonsense. It occurred on a college campus where guns are not legally allowed. So even if you'd had a concealed carry permit, you'd have been breaking the law carrying on the VT campus. As Mike said, the ability to prevent this stuff is pretty close to nil.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 01:46 AM   #10
All-American

All-American is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to All-American

Guns don't kill people. People with cell phones kill people.