cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-12-2007, 01:22 AM   #41
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeping in EQ View Post
If you would simply read the articles and then engage them you would have little criticism from me. But time after time you don't do that. And yet I'm the bad guy here...interesting.
In this exchange you've come off looking far too defensive. It's been out of character for you.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 01:23 AM   #42
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

I am afraid I am left with no choice but to send this entire thread to SLC for review.
Old 04-12-2007, 01:25 AM   #43
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

I think we should be getting our cease and desist letters from SLC with a hold on our memberships soon.
Old 04-12-2007, 01:39 AM   #44
Sleeping in EQ

Sleeping in EQ is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBlue View Post
In this exchange you've come off looking far too defensive. It's been out of character for you.
To the degree that that is true it is because Indy has pulled one over on you. He's tried to make the post about me instead of about any significant issue. That intent is evident in his first post, in which tried to make the discussion about my definition (a classic red herring). He could have read the articles. He could have offered something substantive. Indy has been operating out of his usual playbook.
"Do not despise the words of prophets, but test everything; hold fast to what is good; " 1 Thess. 5:21 (NRSV)

We all trust our own unorthodoxies.

Last edited by Sleeping in EQ; 04-12-2007 at 01:43 AM.
Sleeping in EQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 01:43 AM   #45
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
How shocking it would be if they green lined some point in somebody's article and let the author know that someone in leadership liked it? The only time intellectuals hear from leaders regarding their work is in negative situations. I'd like to see that change.

I agree this would be a good idea. But the animosity towards the brethren you're showing doesn't win people like me over, though. And I believe you're more on the conservative/brethren-supporting side of the intellectual gang.

Viewing this from afar, I get a picture of two sides digging their trenches. The average member is going to side with the brethren every time. So you need to change your tactics.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 01:44 AM   #46
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Your rhetoric is often of the "shut up and conform" variety and you like to derail discussions into the nitpicking of definitions. You don't so much challenge people on their viewpoints as imperiously declare them invalid. You do little more than take pot shots and defend the status quo for its own sake.

I'm not threatened by you (your ego indulgence, though, is highly amusing). I do know your methods and the fact that you have tried to make me out as the bad guy even as you refuse to engage the issues. Though you deny it, you bully people and generally make a stink of things. This exchange with you, which started with your usual bait, is more of the same.

I could ask you why you feel the need to ask for definitions when reading the articles would give you the grist for discussion? How about giving your definition for a change instead of sitting back and acting smug, then playing the victim when you are called on it? The "come hither my darling" question that you inevitably ask is worn out, predictable, and unproductive.

If you would simply read the articles and then engage them you would have little criticism from me. But time after time you don't do that. And yet I'm the bad guy here...interesting.
OK, I was willing to drop it, but apparently you seem bent on venting anyway.

The lengthy quote you provided gave no definition of "alternate voices". Sure, I could try to divine from the quote what that definiton was, but I thought a more productive and possibly more accurate way would be to ask someone I assumed was more familiar with the term.

Then, you proceeded to violate the very tenets of the column you posted.

I'm still not sure when a voice becomes an alternate voice. There's still a fair amount of gray area there, even after reading Elder Oaks' talk, but I have a better idea than I had after my initial reading of your quoted article.

I think your characterization of my involvement in this forum is pretty inaccurate, but ultimately that really doesn't matter to me.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 01:46 AM   #47
Sleeping in EQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
I agree this would be a good idea. But the animosity towards the brethren you're showing doesn't win people like me over, though. And I believe you're more on the conservative/brethren-supporting side of the intellectual gang.

Viewing this from afar, I get a picture of two sides digging their trenches. The average member is going to side with the brethren every time. So you need to change your tactics.
Do I show animosity toward church leadership? Frustration, sometimes, but animosity? I disagree with things that are taught here and there, but many people do.

What is the animosity of which you speak?
"Do not despise the words of prophets, but test everything; hold fast to what is good; " 1 Thess. 5:21 (NRSV)

Old 04-12-2007, 01:47 AM   #48
Indy Coug

Quote:
To the degree that that is true it is because Indy has pulled one over on you. He's tried to make the post about me instead of about any significant issue. That intent is evident in his first post, in which tried to make the discussion about my definition (a classic red herring). He could have read the articles. He could have offered something substantive. Indy has been operating out of his usual playbook.
All I can tell you is that you wildly misunderstood a very, very, very simple question. If you had just humored me with an answer right away, instead of going off on wild paranoid rantings about what you THOUGHT I was going to do, this could have all been avoided. I even stated later on in the thread I basically agreed with the points made, even though I tend to agree with Jay about the general defensive tone that permeated the piece.

Don't pin this one on me, this is all of your own making.
Old 04-12-2007, 01:49 AM   #49
Indy Coug

Quote:
Do I show animosity toward church leadership? Frustration, sometimes, but animosity? I disagree with things that are taught here and there, but many people do.

What is the animosity of which you speak?
I can't specifically recall you having animosity towards church leadership; several other names come to mind when it comes to animosity.
Old 04-12-2007, 01:52 AM   #50
Sleeping in EQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
OK, I was willing to drop it, but apparently you seem bent on venting anyway.

The lengthy quote you provided gave no definition of "alternate voices". Sure, I could try to divine from the quote what that definiton was, but I thought a more productive and possibly more accurate way would be to ask someone I assumed was more familiar with the term.

Then, you proceeded to violate the very tenets of the column you posted.

I'm still not sure when a voice becomes an alternate voice. There's still a fair amount of gray area there, even after reading Elder Oaks' talk, but I have a better idea than I had after my initial reading of your quoted article.

I think your characterization of my involvement in this forum is pretty inaccurate, but ultimately that really doesn't matter to me.
The links did give plenty of context. My definition was not the matter at hand nor did I want it to be. In the past you have skirted real issues by making the issue the person. And which of those tenents have I violated?