cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-21-2008, 07:50 PM   #31
Spaz

Spaz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
My guess is that every program, as currently situated, is the best it can be, and if there are to be any changes, it certainly will not come from the rank and file members. We live in the best of all words, and don't you forget it.
While admitting I may be missing some underlying sarcasm here...I'm certainly not saying improvements can't be made. Just that the improvements suggested seem unlikely to me. Also, that I only want the changes as confirmed & approved by the Lord...
Spaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 07:54 PM   #32
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaz View Post
While admitting I may be missing some underlying sarcasm here...I'm certainly not saying improvements can't be made. Just that the improvements suggested seem unlikely to me. Also, that I only want the changes as confirmed & approved by the Lord...
I used to be like Adam. Sit around and think about ways things could be improved.

But then I realized that doing so is a waste of time and energy, and that NO ONE wants your ideas, and more to the point, the fact that you HAVE IDEAS makes you a subversive.

So I am back to coasting and dozing and feeling guilty about being a lame home teacher.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 07:58 PM   #33
Spaz

Spaz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I used to be like Adam. Sit around and think about ways things could be improved.

But then I realized that doing so is a waste of time and energy, and that NO ONE wants your ideas, and more to the point, the fact that you HAVE IDEAS makes you a subversive.

So I am back to coasting and dozing and feeling guilty about being a lame home teacher.
I feel guilty for that myself

I don't think 'having ideas' makes you (you being a generic blanket for all idea-havers) a subversive. What makes you a subversive is when you push your ideas on people over whom you have no keys or authority. That's best left to the church leadership, IMO...
Spaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 08:00 PM   #34
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
... and that NO ONE wants your ideas, and more to the point, the fact that you HAVE IDEAS makes you a subversive.
Sadly, there is a lot of truth in that statement.
Old 02-21-2008, 08:05 PM   #35
MikeWaters
Demiurge

I'm a very small troublemaker. I email the YM and YW presidents and ask why we will be having a photo scavenger hunt in the dark.

In doing so, I am questioning the judgement of the people who made this decision. At the end of the day, I dont' really care if they continue or not, because it is not my battle.

But they took my advice and canceled the event. That's about the extent of my idea-giving.
Old 02-21-2008, 08:07 PM   #36
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
God doesn't really care what is done, just as long as the Twelve can all be of one mind and one heart on the matter at hand.
Indeed. He watches from afar, amused.

A few of my wishes, just off-the-cuff:

1. (For industrialized nations) The elusive 2-hour block. Streamline sacrament meeting down to 40 minutes. Keeping 10 minute breaks between meetings, give 30 mins to adult Sunday School and 30 mins to RS/Priesthood. Eliminate all in-meeting announcements ... relegate them to a paper program, or email. Primary only needs to be one hour. Combine youth Sunday school with YM/YW programs.

2. Convert Mutual/scouts from a weekly to bi-weekly meeting. Every other meeting would be combined, and should be more service-emphasized, including involvement in community and inter-faith activities.

3. Forbid any calendaring of any kind from being done during ward leadership meetings. All calendaring should be handled by telephone and email (again, for industrialized nations). Combine Ward Council and Welfare Meetings. Move PEC from weekly to bi-weekly, or even monthly.

4. Eliminate nearly all stake training meetings. Sunday Stake Conference, with maybe a corresponding priesthood meeting, is permissible. Eliminate Saturday evening "adult" session. Coordination and training of ward leaders by stake leaders handled on case-by-case basis.

That's just my short list. Can you tell I hate meetings?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
Sadly, there is a lot of truth in that statement.
Not exactly. What Mike meant to say was, "no one wants MY ideas," which is true.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 08:13 PM   #37
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
Indeed. He watches from afar, amused.

A few of my wishes, just off-the-cuff:

1. (For industrialized nations) The elusive 2-hour block. Streamline sacrament meeting down to 40 minutes. Keeping 10 minute breaks between meetings, give 30 mins to adult Sunday School and 30 mins to RS/Priesthood. Eliminate all in-meeting announcements ... relegate them to a paper program, or email. Primary only needs to be one hour. Combine youth Sunday school with YM/YW programs.

2. Convert Mutual/scouts from a weekly to bi-weekly meeting. Every other meeting would be combined, and should be more service-emphasized, including involvement in community and inter-faith activities.

3. Forbid any calendaring of any kind from being done during ward leadership meetings. All calendaring should be handled by telephone and email (again, for industrialized nations). Combine Ward Council and Welfare Meetings. Move PEC from weekly to bi-weekly, or even monthly.

4. Eliminate nearly all stake training meetings. Sunday Stake Conference, with maybe a corresponding priesthood meeting, is permissible. Eliminate Saturday evening "adult" session. Coordination and training of ward leaders by stake leaders handled on case-by-case basis.

That's just my short list. Can you tell I hate meetings?
I can get behind 100% of that. Tex isn't really a Mullah, he just plays one on CG.
Old 02-21-2008, 08:19 PM   #38
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
Not exactly. What Mike meant to say was, "no one wants MY ideas," which is true.
Yeah sure, Tex. You have a long history of open-mindedness.
Old 02-21-2008, 08:22 PM   #39
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
I'm the last person in the world Tex would pick as a counselor.
Old 02-21-2008, 08:24 PM   #40
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
All I know is that Tex's suggestions have about a 100x better chance of actually being implemented than Adam's call for the church to start filing 10-Qs.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote