cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-26-2007, 07:16 PM   #21
Venkman

Venkman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burning Bright View Post
SWK also urged people to turn their hearts to Christ, not to armies and weapons.

SWK also condemned the hunting of deer for pure sport.
The "don't shoot the little birdies" talk convinced my dad to give up bird hunting. He took me deer hunting a couple of times, but I don't think his heart was in it anymore - he never fired his rifle.
Venkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 07:18 PM   #22
DapperDan

DapperDan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMCoug View Post
Obey the law of the land.
The church doesn't even follow that.
DapperDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 07:21 PM   #23
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by myboynoah View Post
"No, but you . . . you . . . you're thinking of this place all wrong. As if I had the money back in a safe. The money's not here. Your money's in Joe's house . . . . . . right next to yours. And in the Kennedy house, and Mrs. Macklin's house, and a hundred others. Why, you're lending them the money to build, and then, they're going to pay it back to you as best they can. Now what are you going to do? Foreclose on them?"

My hope is that Joseph was more George Baily than Uncle Billy during the whole episode. I wonder if Violet and Fanny Alger bear any physical resemblance.
lol! Great reference!
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 07:34 PM   #24
Solon

Solon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
I'm looking for a jarring intersection of reality with hyperbolic theory here.
How to vote.

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=282003
Old 10-26-2007, 07:41 PM   #25
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solon View Post
They didn't tell them how to vote.

Quote:
The letter asks them to encourage church members to express their opinions to their elected officials.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 08:03 PM   #26
Solon

Solon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
They didn't tell them how to vote.
Aaah, Indy - you rose to the bait too easily.

Of course, the non-profit LDS church wouldn't tell people what their political opinions should be . . . no . . .never. That would conflict with the church's non-profit status.

LDS leaders just want the members to "express themselves." Sure, as long as their expressions don't conflict with what they want.

Ask Jeff Nielsen, a BYU adjunct professor who "expressed himself" in the form of an op-ed that appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune on June 4, 2006. Nielsen considered an amendment against gay marriage immoral - completely in accordance with his training in ethics as a prof. of philosophy.

Although I'm too cheap to buy the archived version of Nielsen's op-ed from the Trib., you can get the gist of it through the story originally reported by the SL Tribune, available at http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1649439/posts

Nielsen was terminated by the BYU philosophy department, his termination letter reading in part, "Since you have chosen to contradict and oppose the church in an area of great concern to church leaders . . . in a public forum."
http://www.exmormon.org/mormon/mormon449.htm

Granted, Hinckley didn't fire this guy, but the significance stems from the fact that everyone seems to have been able to read between the lines, while the church maintained plausible deniability that it ever "told" someone how to vote.

Clever.
Old 10-26-2007, 08:15 PM   #27
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

Of course, the non-profit LDS church wouldn't tell people what their political opinions should be . . . no . . .never. That would conflict with the church's non-profit status.

LDS leaders just want the members to "express themselves." Sure, as long as their expressions don't conflict with what they want.

Ask Jeff Nielsen, a BYU adjunct professor who "expressed himself" in the form of an op-ed that appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune on June 4, 2006. Nielsen considered an amendment against gay marriage immoral - completely in accordance with his training in ethics as a prof. of philosophy.

Although I'm too cheap to buy the archived version of Nielsen's op-ed from the Trib., you can get the gist of it through the story originally reported by the SL Tribune, available at http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1649439/posts

Nielsen was terminated by the BYU philosophy department, his termination letter reading in part, "Since you have chosen to contradict and oppose the church in an area of great concern to church leaders . . . in a public forum."

Granted, Hinckley didn't fire this guy, but the significance stems from the fact that everyone seems to have been able to read between the lines, while the church maintained plausible deniability that it ever "told" someone how to vote.

Clever.
I find what BYU did acceptable and what Nielsen did as dumb. To me, it was an employer/employee issue, not a free speech or church related issue.

He publicly critisized the Church bringing it into disrepute. If you critisize your employer publicly you are likely to be censored or fired.

And academically, would you be comfortable relying upon the representations of one party in a dispute? In the legal field, it's not a very sound position to take.
Old 10-26-2007, 08:19 PM   #28
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

Clever.
I don't know that it is as sinister as you suggest. I suspect The Church saw encouraging members to vote on this particular issue as a fairly safe endeavor. Sure there would be a few that would vote counter to The Church's wishes, but most would vote "correctly," not because The Church instructed them to do so, but because they honestly felt it was the correct thing to do.

While related, Nielsen's editorial and subsequent not being picked up by BYU, is a different matter. By promoting his position (on any matter) that was counter to the sponsoring organization of the university, didn't he violate his contract, or at least make himself much less employable by the university?

I would agree that by encouraging members to vote on something, it is fairly clear which way The Church hopes they vote. But it is not an order accompanied by punitive action if one fails to obey.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 08:22 PM   #29
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

If these are perilous moral times, why does the church value non-profit status over speaking the truth?
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 08:25 PM   #30
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
If these are perilous moral times, why does the church value non-profit status over speaking the truth?
Do you have any idea how much it would cost to operate as a for-profit organization?

I realize economics is not your forte, but are you trolling on your own board? It is not hard to understand that these "sacred" funds must be used as prudently as possible.