cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-05-2007, 06:17 PM   #31
JohnnyLingo

JohnnyLingo has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
Finally, Goat throws a bone embedded with words of wisdom. This is so amusing to observe a bunch of "men" tell me why I should be happy to be a second class citizen in the church.
Do you want to be a bishop or something? If so, you don't understand how crappy higher priesthood callings are. Count your blessings.

Quote:
The GA, newly minted bishop or immature CG'er (hi JL) who publicly praises his wife is nothing more than patronizing and demeaning.
Thank you for speaking for every wife of a GA in the church. Why don't you go ask one how they feel about it? Just because you think it's demeaning doesn't mean it is. You sound very bitter.

Quote:
What you are really saying is "I appreciate my wife for being submissive to my awkward attempts at romance/sex and indulging my appetite for attention.
What you are really saying is, "I hate men and think they are all pigs."

See how fun it is to have your statements misinterpreted by complete strangers?

Quote:
I had a HC once tell me he enjoyed "looking down" at the congregation while sitting his fat ass on the stand and assessing our failings.
Relevance = fail.
JohnnyLingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 06:17 PM   #32
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

If you're doing things right, your wife should make you a better man and you should be making your wife a better woman. That's the greatness of marriage.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 06:17 PM   #33
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
I think that is patronizing. I think a relationship is at its best when we are equally yoked, so does Christ.

However, we want to appear humble and one way to do this is to be self-depreciating, but if we are self-depriciating while pointing out it is best to be equally yoked, we are insulting our wives. So it appears some use the better half talk so that the women feel better about themselves because we men suck.

I don't know how to crack the nut, but I think it is better to elevate the actual accomplishments of women above and beyond marrying me, a GA. In fact it seems to me that when actual Apostles speak they elevate the accomplishments of their wives based upon what they have done rather than by denigrating themselves and making their marriage to a successful man to be their significant accomplishment.
I don't see how this patronizing attitude will change until the GAs are selected from outside their protective coocoon.

And some cultures are more patronizing than others. African cultures can be very patronizing. It would be healthy to view women differently but I don't see it happening. How many of those patronizing comments will we endure this Conference?

And how many times will men be lambasted for not being as good as women? Maybe we can keep a score sheet.
Old 10-05-2007, 06:20 PM   #34
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Finally, Goat throws a bone embedded with words of wisdom. This is so amusing to observe a bunch of "men" tell me why I should be happy to be a second class citizen in the church. The GA, newly minted bishop or immature CG'er (hi JL) who publicly praises his wife is nothing more than patronizing and demeaning. What you are really saying is "I appreciate my wife for being submissive to my awkward attempts at romance/sex and indulging my appetite for attention. I had a HC once tell me he enjoyed "looking down" at the congregation while sitting his fat ass on the stand and assessing our failings.
Man, pull the bug out of your alimentary canal. Just for kicks, I just asked my wife if she feels like a 2nd class citizen in church and she laughed at the notion.

Do you want her cell number so you can scream at her for being that stupid?
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 06:21 PM   #35
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Actually, I couldn't probably pull off being scoutmaster without Farrah. She has helped a ton with the logistics.

But that's not the main reason I value her.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 06:22 PM   #36
Requiem

Requiem is on a distinguished road

At the risk of being bold rather than submissive, I would like to address the original topic of this thread. While the LDS doctrine re: a Heavenly Mother is vague and not specifically addressed, there are historical women in scriptural and apcrophyal writings who played significant roles. Queen Esther, Mary Magdalene, Mary and her mother St. Anne are just a few. Yet the LDS culture downplays their influence. Very few lessons or doctrinal messages reference the historical role of women. Are you all afraid?
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 06:22 PM   #37
JohnnyLingo

Quote:
At the risk of being bold rather than submissive, I would like to address the original topic of this thread. While the LDS doctrine re: a Heavenly Mother is vague and not specifically addressed, there are historical women in scriptural and apcrophyal writings who played significant roles. Queen Esther, Mary Magdalene, Mary and her mother St. Anne are just a few. Yet the LDS culture downplays their influence. Very few lessons or doctrinal messages reference the historical role of women. Are you all afraid?
How dare you be bold. Go back to your kitchen and start cooking supper.
Old 10-05-2007, 06:23 PM   #38
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by non sequitur View Post
Just because I hate women does not mean I'm a male chauvinist.
I notice that with the ones who know me, they usually hate me more than I hate them.
Old 10-05-2007, 06:24 PM   #39
non sequitur

non sequitur is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
Man, pull the bug out of your alimentary canal. Just for kicks, I just asked my wife if she feels like a 2nd class citizen in church and she laughed at the notion.

Do you want her cell number so you can scream at her for being that stupid?
I'm no Kreskin, but I have a feeling that requiem will take exception to this post.
...You've been under attack for days, there's a soldier down, he's wounded, gangrene's setting in, 'Who's used all the penicillin?' 'Oh, Mark Paxson sir, he's got knob rot off of some tart.'" - Gareth Keenan
non sequitur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 06:25 PM   #40
JohnnyLingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by non sequitur View Post
I'm no Kreskin, but I have a feeling that requiem will take exception to this post.
The way requiem has been acting so far in this thread, I agree. Seems she'll take exception to any post directed towards her.