cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Art/Movies/Media/Music/Books
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-06-2006, 09:27 PM   #1
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point
Default My little brother's guitar experience

My little brother (a Senior in High School currently) was born when I was finishing my senior year of High School. He has become quite an accomplished classical guitarist and last year won the state solo championship for classical guitar. I suspect he will win it again this year. Anyway I know some of you here are into Blues guitar and thought maybe you'd know who I'm talking about here. My brother was at a Mollie O'Brian concert featuring Rich Moore on blues guitar. Just before the concert started they recognized my brother and had him stand while everybody cheered (they did this because he's playing in concert there in a couple of months on a much smaller scale). Anyway, just after intermission Mollie O'Brian asks my brother to open her second set with a classical number. I thought that was pretty cool. I personally don't have a clue who she is, but apparently she's a grammy winner.

So, my brother got some pretty good exposure. He also got to go to some high falutin' party with all the musicians afterward. I was just curious if any of you guys know the artist?
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 11:19 PM   #2
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

WHat state are we talking about? It would be impressive anywhere but if we are tlaking baout CA that is exceptionally impressive.
creekster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 11:32 PM   #3
SteelBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster
WHat state are we talking about? It would be impressive anywhere but if we are tlaking baout CA that is exceptionally impressive.
The state is Oregon. He just qualified for the championship again as Southern Oregon's representative. He's waiting to find out if he is getting a full music scholarship from the Y. Apparently you really need to be there in person for your audition and he only sent a dvd. However, the head of the department called and talked to him for quite a while and my brother feels pretty confident.
Old 03-08-2006, 02:26 PM   #4
creekster

That is very impressive. I own a classical guitar and have always told myself i was going to learn to play it properly, but the closest I got was a few classic pieces that rely heavily on cowbell, if you know what i mean.

Congrats to your little borther. Is he planning on pursuing studies as a music perfromwnce major or in some other aspect of the discipline?
Old 03-08-2006, 05:34 PM   #5
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I own a classical guitar and have always told myself i was going to learn to play it properly, but the closest I got was a few classic pieces that rely heavily on cowbell, if you know what i mean.
I was unaware that it was an electric classical guitar in the "King of the Hill" theme song.

I guess we really can learn something new every day.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 06:34 PM   #6
SoCalCoug

SoCalCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
the closest I got was a few classic pieces that rely heavily on cowbell, if you know what i mean.
More cowbell!

"Now perhaps as I spanked myself screaming out "Kozlowski, say it like you mean it bitch!" might have been out of line, but such was the mood." - Goatnapper

"If you want to fatten a pig up to make the pig MORE delicious, you can feed it almost anything. Seriously. The pig is like the car on Back to the Future. You put in garbage, and out comes something magical!" - Cali Coug
SoCalCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 07:07 PM   #7
SteelBlue

Quote:
Congrats to your little borther. Is he planning on pursuing studies as a music perfromwnce major or in some other aspect of the discipline?
That's what he thinks he's going to do now. He's one of those kids who can do anything. Captain of the football team, has never received a B grade in his life etc... Not sure why he got all of the good genes, but oh well. I've been trying to convince him to be a dermatologist. He'd have plenty of time to play and perform and still be wealthy. So far he's not buying it.

He is currently recording (actually should be about done by now) a CD. He has done the whole thing himself as his senior project and luckily his teacher owns a studio so those costs are free. But when his CD is completed it'll probably run around 10 bucks plus shipping. I've heard about 1/3 of it and it is very professionally done. If any of you are interested in classical guitar or just in supporting a soon to be BYU student in his musical endeavors let me know.
Old 03-08-2006, 07:31 PM   #8
creekster

I'll take one of those CDs. I hope it has twinkle twinkle a la Mozart on it.

Just kidding (sort of, if you are familiar with "ah, vous dirais-je, Maman")

Classical guitar is great mood music.

Btw, the just kidding part refers to the twinkle crack, I was not kidding that I iwll buy one of his CDs. LEt me know when it's ready, etc.
Old 03-08-2006, 07:45 PM   #9
bluegoose

bluegoose is on a distinguished road

I'd like one as well.

I've not heard him play classical guitar, but I have heard/seen him play the electric guitar and he is the real deal. Amazing talent.
bluegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 01:42 AM   #10
SteelBlue

Quote:
I'll take one of those CDs. I hope it has twinkle twinkle a la Mozart on it.

Just kidding (sort of, if you are familiar with "ah, vous dirais-je, Maman")

Classical guitar is great mood music.

Btw, the just kidding part refers to the twinkle crack, I was not kidding that I iwll buy one of his CDs. LEt me know when it's ready, etc.
I'll let you know as soon as it's ready. I think he has an early April release date.