cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-05-2007, 10:44 PM   #1
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point
Default To the few of our truly liberal friends, what appeal does Hillary offer you?

Is it that she is not conservative, and you are willing to take on anybody who is the antithesis of the uncaring conservative?

Or is it to stick it to conservatives to get them into a lather? I have a friend who loved to argue with a more conservative friend of mine, who, like Pavlov's dog, would become ballistic at the mention of Teddy Kennedy's name. Perhaps, you enjoy our Pavlovian responses to her despicable nature.

Or do simply see her as somebody capable of winning it from the bad moderates and conservatives?

I can see why Richardson, Obama or even Edwards might appeal, but failing the above explanations I can't see an explanation for her appeal.
Old 06-05-2007, 11:01 PM   #2
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

IME, my friends that support Hillary express a yearning for the "good ol' days" of Clinton. That's pretty much it. They miss Bill.

Incidentally, the GOP debate starts now on CNN. You can stream it from CNN.com pipeline.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 11:06 PM   #3
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon View Post
IME, my friends that support Hillary express a yearning for the "good ol' days" of Clinton. That's pretty much it. They miss Bill.

Incidentally, the GOP debate starts now on CNN. You can stream it from CNN.com pipeline.
The problem with Hillary, is you won't get the good naturedness of Bill, and you get the hatred streaming from Hillary.

Bill may have been tolerable had he divorced Hillary.
Old 06-05-2007, 11:29 PM   #4
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon View Post
Doesn't sound like Wolf can keep the candidates under control. I've heard him say "thank you" trying to get them to stop talking about 25 times.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 11:53 PM   #5
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
Doesn't sound like Wolf can keep the candidates under control. I've heard him say "thank you" trying to get them to stop talking about 25 times.
Yeah, the GOPs are a little more unruly than the Dems. Of course there are ten of them and they all want their time.

I can barely listen to a couple of these guys, though.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 11:53 PM   #6
Sleeping in EQ

Sleeping in EQ is an unknown quantity at this point

Romney is doing well so far.

I'll comment on the Hillary thing when I get a chance.
"Do not despise the words of prophets, but test everything; hold fast to what is good; " 1 Thess. 5:21 (NRSV)

We all trust our own unorthodoxies.
Sleeping in EQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 05:34 AM   #7
Detroitdad
Resident Jackass

Detroitdad is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't give a damn about personal appeal. I only care about policies. I think her policies are better formulated, and more far sighted than most of her intra-party opponents. Her personal flair could use some work, but I'll leave that to people who are more interested in the horse race.
Detroitdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 03:33 PM   #8
Archaea

I don't give a damn how one articulates one's policies, but whether somebody can win, is flexible and can govern.

She has no background to show she can do any of that.

My guess she appeals to the following groups:

1 Diehard feminists who believe any woman is better than any man, always. This is probably her biggest single support group.

2. Civil servants. Democrats bloat the federal government, and benefit the civil servants. If Dems cut government, it is usually in the area of national defense.

3. Illegal latin immigrants, working poor and unemployed. These groups need handouts from government and a liberal Democrat is the best person to deliver these.

4. Irrational environmentalists. I say irrational, because those who believe the Republicans desire to rape the land are probably a minority, but they are a significant part of the environmental debate.

5. University professors. Academics are fantastic, but often become very insulated from real life and believe theory should trumpf reality. In this regard, they are often buffaloed by Democrats, whose policies are completely impractical and costly.

6. Union personnel. Historically Democrats have been more friendly to large unions than Republicans, so those, who I believe are truly a dying breed, that bleed union, will probably support a Hillary no matter what her negatives are.

Which begs the question, why would anybody select Hillary over Obama? He has the same policies as Hillary without the baggage and negatives. He's a good-looking minority, but he won't please all the feminists. I cannot see why the Democrats would even consider Hillary over Obama. People like him when they meet him, there is no residual disgust and hate.
Old 06-06-2007, 03:38 PM   #9
BlueK

BlueK is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Is it that she is not conservative, and you are willing to take on anybody who is the antithesis of the uncaring conservative?

Or is it to stick it to conservatives to get them into a lather? I have a friend who loved to argue with a more conservative friend of mine, who, like Pavlov's dog, would become ballistic at the mention of Teddy Kennedy's name. Perhaps, you enjoy our Pavlovian responses to her despicable nature.

Or do simply see her as somebody capable of winning it from the bad moderates and conservatives?

I can see why Richardson, Obama or even Edwards might appeal, but failing the above explanations I can't see an explanation for her appeal.
Richardson seems like a rational, middle of the road kind of guy. I guess the democratic party is too controlled by the far left to really consider him, although politically speaking he's the closest they have in the race to Bill Clinton.

Last edited by BlueK; 06-06-2007 at 03:41 PM.
BlueK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 03:43 PM   #10
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueK View Post
Richardson seems like a rational, middle of the road kind of guy. I guess the democratic party is too controlled by the far left to really consider him, although politically speaking he's the closest they have in the race to Bill Clinton.

I'm beginning to think that any party which tries to win with a Senator is delirious.

The only truly viable candidate is a Governor, or a mayor of one of our largest four cities.