cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-02-2007, 06:22 PM   #21
Surfah
Master

Surfah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Surfah Send a message via MSN to Surfah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapel-Hill-Coug View Post
[Note: this is not a response to any poster, just a comment on the subject]

If you are not convinced there is a manmade problem by now, it doesn't matter, keep politicking away, you'll never get it. The politicians and media are the ones presenting this issue as a two sided one. Climate scientists are not divided on descriptives, just normatives and predictions, facets which often get blurred by politicians and the media (everyone who does science knows the difference between a theory and a prediction, the media focus on the predictions or normative implications and then debate the quality of the "science"--ridiculous). And about polar bears...please...why are environmentalists defined by a polar bear standing on an ice cube or an owl being more important than a human being? They are political moves, not designed to find the truth, but to posture through their portrayals of the "other side". If this issue were not so political in its implications everyone would have been on the bandwagon a long time ago.

This will be my one and only post on this subject since I know how fruitful arguing about it is. Hopefully people can move past the politics and wake up on this issue.
I don't think that anyone can deny mankind's involvement in the warming of Mother Earth. But on the other hand nobody can definitively say we are responsible either or to what extent we are if we are contributing to it. People debate the science because there isn't a consensus among them either. It's a poor example but the exchange in the Larry King Live transcript that began this thread shows that.

I believe the issue to be legit and of concern but not to the degree that politicians and talking heads are making it out to be. And because the science is not exact on this, the real debate then enters the political arena as policies and taxes are created to help curb the unpredictable future. So while real and evident, you cannot separate the issue from politics I am afraid. I am sure this will become a significant part of each candidate's platform.

As I noted previously, I believe there are more dangerous and threatening issues at hand than the temperature increasing another degree over the next 90 years. I am sure by then there will have been a nuclear war that could offset the global warming with a nuclear winter. Although a nuclear winter is hypothetical as well.

That said, I do think there are measures we can and should take now that I would gladly support to lower our CO2 emissions and other contributors to the greenhouse effect.

Charles Barkley: "20 pts and 10 rebounds will get you through also!"

Last edited by Surfah; 02-02-2007 at 06:27 PM.
Surfah is offline   Reply With Quote