cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: How much political involvement?
Never vote and never pay attention 1 5.00%
Only vote but only pay passing attention 2 10.00%
Study issues but only vote 10 50.00%
Study issues, vote and contribute 1 5.00%
All of number 4, but also campaigned on a small candidate at least once 3 15.00%
All of 5 but often campaign for many candidates and have raised funds 2 10.00%
all of 6n and I have run and served in public office 1 5.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-01-2006, 06:44 PM   #1
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What level of involvement in politics?

One of the subjects adults most like to comment upon is politics. We read about it, study it to small degrees and loosely participate in the process. However, most are only tangentially involved.

So what level of involvement have you devoted to politics.

I will comment upon the poll, if it proceeds as is usual with most crowds.

Last edited by Archaea; 11-01-2006 at 06:47 PM.
Archaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 06:50 PM   #2
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
One of the subjects adults most like to comment upon is politics. We read about it, study it to small degrees and loosely participate in the process. However, most are only tangentially involved.

I know i should pay more attention but in reality i dont care to much about politics, i am not even registered to vote, and have never voted.
Old 11-01-2006, 07:00 PM   #3
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road

Quote:

I think that people are more involved than you are giving them credit for, even if they don't realize they are. Politics is so powerfully driven by polls that if you have ever particiapted in one, or had a conversation with someone who has or called in to a radio show where someone who has was listening, then you have participated in shaping policy.

This may be even more important than campaining for a particular candidate who is most likely going to put his finger in the air and do whatever the poll says is popular.
Old 11-01-2006, 07:58 PM   #4
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Involvement is a complex issue.

The vast majority of citizens have very little knowledge or involvement. There are passing discussions in society and a few comments reviewed on tv, but I'm not certain how many people even pay attention to tv politics any more. I'd have to review a study.

The next level is cursory understanding. We all took civics in school; some liked it, some hated it. And some studied it further in college. So at that point, people are acquainted with "theory". Theory discusses how certain observers believe things should be. However, by virtue of the fact, that theory is almost always over-simplified, it does not reflect reality, unless it's a reality based theory. This is where most people stop. They only really understand political theories, or at least a few of them.

The next level applies to initial levels of involvement, where partakers see how the process works. Or at least its external operations. At this level, one often experiences "the outrage of the newly informed." One sees the practice, and often becomes outraged that practice is so far removed from reality that one often is either energized to change the landscape or becomes very disillusioned.

The next level requires intimate involvement of the process which often involves levels of resignation and practical application. This is where theory goes out the window, except insofar as it applies to strategy and tactics in winning the war for power, the ultimate political prize.

And then there are ancilliary (sp?) involvements, such a requlatory entanglements, criminal entanglements and other entanglements which enlighten one as to how politics and government actually function.
Old 11-01-2006, 08:23 PM   #5
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
The vast majority of citizens have very little knowledge or involvement. There are passing discussions in society and a few comments reviewed on tv, but I'm not certain how many people even pay attention to tv politics any more. I'd have to review a study.
Amen to that. Most of my relatives get 95% of their political viewpoints/discussion from occasionally listening to talk radio when they drive in their cars. My buddy at work gets all of his information by watching The O'Reilly Factor every night. That's pretty scary.
Old 11-01-2006, 08:30 PM   #6
UtahDan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
Amen to that. Most of my relatives get 95% of their political viewpoints/discussion from occasionally listening to talk radio when they drive in their cars. My buddy at work gets all of his information by watching The O'Reilly Factor every night. That's pretty scary.
O'Reilly is no worse a source that an other individual source. If you listen to any one source to the exclusion of others you are going to get a slanted view of things. This has always been true. Fortunately, most now recognize that there is no such thing as unbiased news and get their information from multiple sources.

In fact, I think I would hold O'Reilly above most others simply because his biases are apparent whereas others claim to have none. At least with him you know what you are getting.
Old 11-01-2006, 08:39 PM   #7
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
Do people not like Bill O'Reilly because he's brash or because they disagree with him or because they agree with him, but don't like how he treats others?

Honest question.

I know several on here are of liberal thought and action, but as to the hate for Bill O'Reilly. What it is that they hate about him POLITICALLY and PHILOSOPHICALLY?

I actually like it when he's interviewing someone and if they don't answer the question that he calls them on their bull and doesn't let them NOT answer the question instead of giving some spinworthy B.S. response.

Sounds like someone I know.

Last edited by RockyBalboa; 11-01-2006 at 08:45 PM.
RockyBalboa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 09:08 PM   #8
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahDan View Post
In fact, I think I would hold O'Reilly above most others simply because his biases are apparent whereas others claim to have none. At least with him you know what you are getting.
Therein lies the irony. Many folks I know insist that they love O'Reilly because he is unbiased. In other words, they are actually buying into that whole "Fair and Balanced" crap. It's mind-boggling.
Old 11-01-2006, 09:18 PM   #9
UtahDan

Quote:
Therein lies the irony. Many folks I know insist that they love O'Reilly because he is unbiased. In other words, they are actually buying into that whole "Fair and Balanced" crap. It's mind-boggling.
No I think people misunderstand what that means. I don't think O'Reilly is fair and balanced himself nor do I think he really claims to be. He takes positions on all kinds of things, mostly on the conservative side. Where the fair and balanced comes in is that he does his best (I believe this) to bring in a guest who believes the opposite and gives them an opportunity to state their side of things. He may disagree with them and may even be abrupt with them, but he lets them have their say and gives them the last word. That is what I appreciate about his show. You get to hear both sides articulated. Just by way of comparison to another popular "news/commentary" show, Keith Olberman just gives you his side of things, not both.

I have actually thought there were a good many occassions when O'Reilly brought on a guest who got the better of him. He doesn't have to do that, but that fact is it happens enough to convince me he isn't just serviving himself up softballs.
Old 11-01-2006, 10:06 PM   #10
non sequitur

non sequitur is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm pretty busy, so all I really have time for is mocking and ridiculing the candidates. If I get a little more time I'll try to get involved in derision, but right now I can't commit to that.
...You've been under attack for days, there's a soldier down, he's wounded, gangrene's setting in, 'Who's used all the penicillin?' 'Oh, Mark Paxson sir, he's got knob rot off of some tart.'" - Gareth Keenan
non sequitur is offline   Reply With Quote