cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-21-2008, 12:25 AM   #1
8ballrollin

8ballrollin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default The Times and McCain

Isn't the Times having premature electulation by running this type of story now and not after the conventions?

Quote:
A female lobbyist had been turning up with him at fund-raisers, visiting his offices and accompanying him on a client’s corporate jet. Convinced the relationship had become romantic, some of his top advisers intervened to protect the candidate from himself — instructing staff members to block the woman’s access, privately warning her away and repeatedly confronting him, several people involved in the campaign said on the condition of anonymity.
I think it's a legitimate piece, for sure. And I await similar pieces about Mr Obama's past on the front page of the Times.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/21/us...mccain.html?hp
8ballrollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 12:54 AM   #2
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8ballrollin View Post
Isn't the Times having premature electulation by running this type of story now and not after the conventions?

I think it's a legitimate piece, for sure. And I await similar pieces about Mr Obama's past on the front page of the Times.

I agree. You should have some pretty convincing evidence before publishing something like that (and the evidence needs to be more than some unidentified source "close to the campaign").
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 04:24 AM   #3
Frank Ryan
Formerly Mastershake

Frank Ryan is on a distinguished road

Quote:

that is a total cheapshot article.

that is definitely unethical journalism

-- Ken Loach
Frank Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 04:28 AM   #4
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

When I first saw Oberman talking about it I thought, "Oh no." But then the details:

Over eight years ago
Only fears of a romantic relationship
Unamed sources that used to work for McCain

Olbermann kept trying to draw parallels with Clinton and Lewinski. That guy is a total idiot.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.

Last edited by myboynoah; 02-21-2008 at 01:48 PM.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 04:30 AM   #5
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

They both deny a romantic relationship, and even so this was eight years ago? Seemingly the disgruntled former staffer who's the source doesn't even know if there was an affair. This is news? What's gotten into the Times? I've never seen it sink so low.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 04:33 AM   #6
Frank Ryan
Formerly Mastershake

Frank Ryan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
They both deny a romantic relationship, and even so this was eight years ago? Seemingly the disgruntled former staffer who's the source doesn't even know if there was an affair. This is news? What's gotten into the Times? I've never seen it sink so low.
this type of "article" should be sequestered to the realm of gossip sites not a major newspaper

-- Ken Loach
Frank Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 04:41 AM   #7
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Ryan View Post
this type of "article" should be sequestered to the realm of gossip sites not a major newspaper
Yep. This is People material.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 09:46 AM   #8
8ballrollin

It's complete BS. I read the NYT daily, but this is crap - to front page Natl Enqr type of stuff with NO on-the-record source. They would NEVER publish a story like this about Obama's alleged drug use. What a joke.
Old 02-21-2008, 09:58 AM   #9
8ballrollin

Quote:
It's complete BS. I read the NYT daily, but this is crap - to front page Natl Enqr type of stuff with NO on-the-record source. They would NEVER publish a story like this about Obama's alleged drug use. What a joke.
Last reason this is a joke: A nearly decade-old rumor and the Times knew about it when? How long have they been sitting on this story? It's only published when? Oh, that's right...after he has the nomination.

It's this type of crap that shows the WSJ is superior to the Times in serous domestic news reporting.
Old 02-21-2008, 01:00 PM   #10
Mormon Red Death

Mormon Red Death is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
I agree. You should have some pretty convincing evidence before publishing something like that (and the evidence needs to be more than some unidentified source "close to the campaign").
Its the New York Times! All the news that's fit to make up.