cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-07-2008, 03:27 PM   #1
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Unless either Clinton or Edwards

can stop the momentum building, it seems as if Obama will steamroll toward the Denver nomination.

He is a scary candidate for the Republicans as if everybody will make a big deal out of the fact that he is half black. Of course, most will ignore the "half" part as this country has long ago adopted a senseless argument that one drop of black blood makes you black, forgetting or perhaps remembering the skit by Bill Cosby or was it Richard Pryor.

The only hope of stopping this Oprah emotional rollercoaster is focusing upon how radically liberal this government spendthrift is. Is there a government spending program he doesn't support besides the military? I guess if there's an option between two programs and one is pricier he'll select the more expensive because more is better, right?

The Republicans have significant credibility issues thanks to the liberal spending policies of George Bush, which have not made him more popular. The crime of Bush is to have become so unpopular with so many policies. He badly managed Afghanistan. He screwed up politically, not necessarily militarily Iraq. He has spend almost as much on social programs as a damn liberal. Here should be the difference between a liberal and a conservative, as a conservative should know the public desires certain social programs. So rather than refusing some of the programs which might educate or support the needy, the conservative should find the most cost effective manner in delivering it with the fewest employees. A major complaint which I have about bureaucracies is the over-staffing for programs. In this regard, I imagine a Romney presidency could be better than any other candidate. No other candidate has any legitimate economic credentials.
Old 01-07-2008, 04:14 PM   #2
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

His race has nothing to do with why I find Obama scary.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 05:44 PM   #3
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
His race has nothing to do with why I find Obama scary.
Archea is probably our closest thing to a resident Archie Bunker. Cali is his meathead.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 05:55 PM   #4
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
Archea is probably our closest thing to a resident Archie Bunker. Cali is his meathead.
Would you for once spell my moniker correctly?

I am neither fat nor bald.

And why is it impliedly racist to note that our country weirdly regards a man, half white and half black as black? We're all mutts for that matter, none of us being homogeneous in our ancestry.

I've got about every single Northern European in me, from Scotland, to Ireland, to France, to Germany, Norwegian, and to Russian. There's nothing pure about my ancestry, filled with commoners, bastards from nobles and serfs.

Yet somehow some people are viewed as patricians, or comm folk, and others are viewed as Mayflowerists or black out of fortuity of one drop? That concept has always been odd.

Now I heard from an unlikely source about Obama, which I quickly squelched: my child. My child informed me, "didn't you know that Obama is into the occult?"

"And where did you hear that from?"

"My friend." Bad source dear child.

Are those rumors swirling around that Obama is an occultist?
Old 01-07-2008, 06:05 PM   #5
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Would you for once spell my moniker correctly?

I am neither fat nor bald.

And why is it impliedly racist to note that our country weirdly regards a man, half white and half black as black? We're all mutts for that matter, none of us being homogeneous in our ancestry.

I've got about every single Northern European in me, from Scotland, to Ireland, to France, to Germany, Norwegian, and to Russian. There's nothing pure about my ancestry, filled with commoners, bastards from nobles and serfs.

Yet somehow some people are viewed as patricians, or comm folk, and others are viewed as Mayflowerists or black out of fortuity of one drop? That concept has always been odd.

Now I heard from an unlikely source about Obama, which I quickly squelched: my child. My child informed me, "didn't you know that Obama is into the occult?"

"And where did you hear that from?"

"My friend." Bad source dear child.

Are those rumors swirling around that Obama is an occultist?
You have every type of Northern European ancestry in you so you're a mutt. That's pretty funny.

I'm not trying to pick a fight here, Archaea, but your tangent about how people won't distinguish between Obama being a half or full blood AA was, well, tactless. I still don't get your point.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 06:13 PM   #6
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
You have every type of Northern European ancestry in you so you're a mutt. That's pretty funny.

I'm not trying to pick a fight here, Archaea, but your tangent about how people won't distinguish between Obama being a half or full blood AA was, well, tactless. I still don't get your point.
Well, just like with Tiger Woods, why do people herald him as a Black golfer and ignore his Thai ancestry?

I don't know much about Obama's ancestry other than it's not all African descent. We make such a big a deal about skin color when that has little to do with ancestry or cultural heritage. And in his case, it does little to tell us about his genetic heritage.

Yes I am aware of the history of race relations, sociological constructs, artificial and meaningless.
Old 01-07-2008, 06:19 PM   #7
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Will Mitt ever claim his Mexican roots? i.e. "I don't hate Mexicans, my father grew up in Mexico."
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 06:24 PM   #8
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Will Mitt ever claim his Mexican roots? i.e. "I don't hate Mexicans, my father grew up in Mexico."
"Quando mis padres habitando en Mexioc ....."

I can hear it now.

Not, "Quand j'etai en Sorbonne ..."

That wouldn't be quite so common man.
Old 01-07-2008, 07:12 PM   #9
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Spencer W. Kimball used to affectionately refer to D. Michael Quinn as "my Mexican", according to Quinn. (he is half or maybe a quarter Mexican).
Old 01-07-2008, 07:19 PM   #10
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Somebody please tell me what Obama has ever done to back up the rhetoric and promises. I love how all the pundits are talking about the tears in their and others eyes when he speaks.

My hell, Jim Bakers congregations had tears in their eyes when he bilked them out of millions. I don't think the guy is a charlatin, I just think he is extremely naive and not ready to govern.

Here is what he promised in his Iowa acceptance speech. Health care for all, tax cuts for the middle class, bring the troops home, stop the terrorist, have the world love us again (how naive is that, they have never loved us), bring jobs back from abroad, have everyone get along, a bi-partisan love fest.

Hillary is trying to point that out, but no one wants to hear Jim Baker can't deliver, not even Tammy Fae.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote