cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-04-2008, 10:47 PM   #1
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Economic liberals state your case for Obama:

As I see Obama he wants to buy ever vote, free health care for all, more welfare for all, more government jobs for all, rigid restrictions on capital, more guarantees of utopia at no price except for rich Republicans and rich companies.

I know I've grossly oversimplified as all political speech is one of exaggeration and hyperbole. But when I hear people considering him to be this Great Leader, I think I'm in North Korea hearing Kim Il Song and contrived support.

Last edited by Archaea; 01-04-2008 at 10:50 PM.
Archaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 10:56 PM   #2
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
As I see Obama he wants to buy ever vote, free health care for all, more welfare for all, more government jobs for all, rigid restrictions on capital, more guarantees of utopia at no price except for rich Republicans and rich companies.

I know I've grossly oversimplified as all political speech is one of exaggeration and hyperbole. But when I hear people considering him to be this Great Leader, I think I'm in North Korea hearing Kim Il Song and contrived support.
You havent over-simplified anything. What you have basically done is summarized the campaign promises of every Democratic candidate for the past 20 years. Obama isnt really offering anything new along those terms.

In my honest assessment, I dont expect Obama to accomplish even 10% of what he is promising (nor would I expect any other candidate to do so), so i dont get all caught up in his Universal health care talk or other dicta.

As I stated before, whomever gets elected President is going to spend his/her first 2 years in office unraveling Iraq and traveling abroad quite a bit to strengthen relations. Domestically, he/she will be working on National Security (and as a result, immigration) and working with Congress to try to figure out a potential solution to the impending housing crisis.

Nothing is going to happen with health care--at least nothing substantive. It isnt pressing enough.

I am also hoping someone addresses a permanent fix to AMT, but that is probably less likely than fixing health care.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 10:57 PM   #3
Insensitive PAP

Insensitive PAP

Who do we need to strengthen relations with?
Insensitive PAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 10:59 PM   #4
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
You havent over-simplified anything. What you have basically done is summarized the campaign promises of every Democratic candidate for the past 20 years. Obama isnt really offering anything new along those terms.

In my honest assessment, I dont expect Obama to accomplish even 10% of what he is promising (nor would I expect any other candidate to do so), so i dont get all caught up in his Universal health care talk or other dicta.

As I stated before, whomever gets elected President is going to spend his/her first 2 years in office unraveling Iraq and traveling abroad quite a bit to strengthen relations. Domestically, he/she will be working on National Security (and as a result, immigration) and working with Congress to try to figure out a potential solution to the impending housing crisis.

Nothing is going to happen with health care--at least nothing substantive. It isnt pressing enough.

I am also hoping someone addresses a permanent fix to AMT, but that is probably less likely than fixing health care.
I have a permanent fix for AMT, get rid of it. It was the result of a question that wasn't asked. It is pure idiocy and I never know how to compute it.

I don't want universal health care. Not in our country. I prefer market reforms. And I know Romney has spouted some of this shit.

So we have somebody with no business, no international experience and he's supposed to be a great visionary leader?

So our best argument is "well he's new"? Gee, that's an impressive argument.
Old 01-04-2008, 11:10 PM   #5
TripletDaddy

Quote:
I have a permanent fix for AMT, get rid of it. It was the result of a question that wasn't asked. It is pure idiocy and I never know how to compute it.

I don't want universal health care. Not in our country. I prefer market reforms. And I know Romney has spouted some of this shit.

So we have somebody with no business, no international experience and he's supposed to be a great visionary leader?

So our best argument is "well he's new"? Gee, that's an impressive argument.
The AMT does not need to be abolished, only adjusted. If not, professional tax protestors like some on CB and CG will wind up not paying anything.

Stop worrying about universal health care. We arent going to have it. What happened when Hillary tried to push it on everyone in the 90s?

As for "Hey, Im new..." isnt that Mitt's whole battle cry? The beltway outsider with a new perspective.

You seem unable to envision that someone who is young and inexperienced can do a good job. Obama doesnt have to know everything. He just has to be smart enough to realize that he doesnt. The appropriate Cabinet and advisors will follow....the same for Mitt and anyone else who gets elected.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
Old 01-04-2008, 11:15 PM   #6
Archaea

Quote:
The AMT does not need to be abolished, only adjusted. If not, professional tax protestors like some on CB and CG will wind up not paying anything.

Stop worrying about universal health care. We arent going to have it. What happened when Hillary tried to push it on everyone in the 90s?

As for "Hey, Im new..." isnt that Mitt's whole battle cry? The beltway outsider with a new perspective.

You seem unable to envision that someone who is young and inexperienced can do a good job. Obama doesnt have to know everything. He just has to be smart enough to realize that he doesnt. The appropriate Cabinet and advisors will follow....the same for Mitt and anyone else who gets elected.
What's wrong with people paying no income tax? Geeze, isn't that what made this country great. It wasn't until the 16th amendment that it became vogue.

Mitt has his business battle cry plus his successful stint as governor of Mass.

I don't have faith in somebody young. Geeze let's lower the legal age and elect the latest and greatest boy band rock star. There you'll have your good to look at, crazy with the chicks and young and impressionable. If that's the standard, I'm all for it. Who sings for the Killers?
Old 01-04-2008, 11:19 PM   #7
TripletDaddy

Quote:
What's wrong with people paying no income tax? Geeze, isn't that what made this country great. It wasn't until the 16th amendment that it became vogue.

Mitt has his business battle cry plus his successful stint as governor of Mass.

I don't have faith in somebody young. Geeze let's lower the legal age and elect the latest and greatest boy band rock star. There you'll have your good to look at, crazy with the chicks and young and impressionable. If that's the standard, I'm all for it. Who sings for the Killers?
No income tax was possible when the nation was unsettled and we all lived off the land. It is impractical in today's society to not impose taxes to pay for infrastructure, facilities, and other public needs.

If you believe so strongly in not paying taxes, why not become a protestor and file zero balance fed returns?

PS Brandon Flowers, who is less-active LDS. I wouldnt vote for him unless he stops dressing like Colonel Sanders in those silly bowties.

Old 01-04-2008, 11:20 PM   #8
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
One of my concerns with Barack Obama is that he seems to relish his own popularity, deeming himself an agent of change while using religious terms to describe himself. What happens when one of his smart advisors makes an unpopular, yet necessary, recommendation? I wonder how open he would be when the change he's seeking will abandon a segment of his base. He'll have to have spine to deal with being hated by his own.

He seems to be a leader who thrives on emotion over logic. Isn't emotion his whole appeal? He inspires his followers to unity. He makes us believe that change is going to come. Yet the President will never be a uniter if he wants to be effective. He has to hurt feelings, step on toes, cut budgets, cut programs, fire people, offend constituencies, and a number of other unpleasant tasks. I just don't see Oprah's guy being right for that job.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 11:21 PM   #9
Archaea

Quote:
No income tax was possible when the nation was unsettled and we all lived off the land. It is impractical in today's society to not impose taxes to pay for infrastructure, facilities, and other public needs.

If you believe so strongly in not paying taxes, why not become a protestor and file zero balance fed returns?

PS Brandon Flowers, who is less-active LDS. I wouldnt vote for him unless he stops dressing like Colonel Sanders in those silly bowties.
I would like to stay out of jail.

And a flat rate tax or a national sales tax makes more sense to me than to simply punish higher wage earners because they earn a little bit more money.
Old 01-04-2008, 11:27 PM   #10
TripletDaddy

Quote:
I would like to stay out of jail.

And a flat rate tax or a national sales tax makes more sense to me than to simply punish higher wage earners because they earn a little bit more money.
Hey, listen, I pay more than my share of taxes, including our friend AMT. I dont like it. But I dont pretend we can operate as a country without paying taxes.

Most tax protestors do not go to jail for federal income tax evasion. The government accrues much more revenue by auditing credit claims. Although your response is inspiring. It reminds me of the likes of Patrick Henry and Joan of Arc.