cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-11-2007, 11:25 PM   #1
8ballrollin

8ballrollin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default "Don't Mormons believe that Jesus and the devil are brothers?""

Looks like this may start getting fun...

"Republican presidential hopeful Mike Huckabee, an ordained Southern Baptist minister, asks in an upcoming article, "Don't Mormons believe that Jesus and the devil are brothers?"

The article, to be published in Sunday's New York Times Magazine, says Huckabee asked the question after saying he believes Mormonism is a religion but doesn't know much about it. His rival Mitt Romney, the former Massachusetts governor, is a member of the Mormon church, which is known officially as the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints."

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...&type=politics
8ballrollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 11:41 PM   #2
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't understand why that's so strange to fundies. They believe Jesus and God are one so Satan is Jesus' son right? Why is that any less strange or shocking?
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 11:47 PM   #3
8ballrollin

8ballrollin is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBlue View Post
I don't understand why that's so strange to fundies. They believe Jesus and God are one so Satan is Jesus' son right? Why is that any less strange or shocking?
It's politics. Huckabee says,"I believe Mormonism is a religion but don't know much about it." And then he slips in "Don't Mormons believe that Jesus and the devil are brothers?" He might as well say, "I heard they used to have multiple wives too, but I don't know much about it."
8ballrollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 12:09 AM   #4
Sleeping in EQ

Sleeping in EQ is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Not necessarily. Many see Satan as simply an angel who went bad. Their notion of angel does not have to imply sonship at all.
"Do not despise the words of prophets, but test everything; hold fast to what is good; " 1 Thess. 5:21 (NRSV)

We all trust our own unorthodoxies.
Sleeping in EQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 12:24 AM   #5
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

this is evidence of the amateurishness and ghetto-ness of Huckabee's campaign.

If he had any money and real support, it would not be him saying this. It would be once of those fake organizations using push-polling and commercials.

But since he can't afford to go that way, he has to jump into the mud himself. Not wise.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 12:27 AM   #6
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeping in EQ View Post
Not necessarily. Many see Satan as simply an angel who went bad. Their notion of angel does not have to imply sonship at all.
So where does Satan come from then? Ex nihilo includes him, doesn't it? I don't think their beliefs are far from ours. HUcakbee is intentionally preying on gross ignorance. IOW, he is a politician.

Last edited by creekster; 12-12-2007 at 01:52 AM.
creekster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 01:50 AM   #7
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeping in EQ View Post
So who are the angels to these people? Something different than sons/daughters of God? I'm admittedly ignorant of evangelical beliefs.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 01:54 AM   #8
FMCoug

FMCoug

Quote:
So who are the angels to these people? Something different than sons/daughters of God? I'm admittedly ignorant of evangelical beliefs.
Part of the great mysteries of God. Unexplainable. They certainly don't believe they are resurrected beings.
FMCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 02:04 AM   #9
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMCoug View Post
Part of the great mysteries of God. Unexplainable. They certainly don't believe they are resurrected beings.
RIght, but they believe God created the universe out fo nothing. Not re-formed it, but made it our of nothing. So even if Satan was not a son of god, but was htis sort of third type of eternal being going around praising God who went abd, he was still made by God out of the nothing. IOW, still not that different than saying he was a son of god, becasue he was still a creation of God. AM I missing somehting here?
Old 12-12-2007, 03:04 AM   #10
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

It's a little humorous how this belief is treated as if it were a central tenet of our faith, fundamental to our salvation. As if Mormon's are taught that we must accept Satan as Jesus' brother prior to entering the gates of Heaven. Similarly they treat the teaching that the Garden of Eden is located in Misssouri as if we pray to the Gods of Jackson County for deliverence.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote