cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-16-2007, 11:45 PM   #1
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Evidence suggesting CNN going soft on Hillary

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,312003,00.html

Quote:
Maria Parra-Sandoval, 22, a senior political science major at the University of Nevada, Las Vegas, said she wanted to ask the Democratic frontrunner where she stood on the proposed Yucca Mountain nuclear repository in Nevada, an issue about which she said she wrote a paper as a finalist for a Truman Scholarship.
Instead, she said, CNN's Suzanne Malveaux told her right before the end of the debate to go with the following question:
"This is a fun question for you. Do you prefer diamonds or pearls?"
Related

/**/
The question got a big laugh, and Clinton answered swiftly:
"Now, I know I'm sometimes accused of not being able to make a choice.
"I want both."
To a roar of applause and more laughter, moderator Wolf Blitzer closed out the night.
Parra-Sandoval said Friday that she had submitted both the diamonds-or-pearls and the nuclear-waste questions, and both were pre-approved, but she said the Yucca Mountain one was the one she wanted to ask. She said she entered the line about diamonds or pearls because CNN was looking for something light-hearted.
"I had no idea the debate was about to end," she said. "I thought that I was supposed to have both of those questions. ... They told me to memorize both of them, so my impression was I was going to ask both."
Parra-Sandoval said she felt Clinton has waffled on Yucca Mountain and she wanted to hear a clear answer.
I anticipate Dems and Billary supporters will view this as non-credible because it was reported by Fox. However, is anybody disturbed in any small part that a network would encourage the planting of softball questions?

I suppose all the Reps will say it's a bad thing, whereas Cali, Woot, and our other leftist leaning posters will simply depict it as nothing extraordinary.

It bothers me than "journalism" would encourage softballs, and ignore questions, which are especially relevant to Nevadans, namely the nuclear dump.
Old 11-17-2007, 01:18 AM   #2
woot

woot is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post

I anticipate Dems and Billary supporters will view this as non-credible because it was reported by Fox. However, is anybody disturbed in any small part that a network would encourage the planting of softball questions?

I suppose all the Reps will say it's a bad thing, whereas Cali, Woot, and our other leftist leaning posters will simply depict it as nothing extraordinary.

It bothers me than "journalism" would encourage softballs, and ignore questions, which are especially relevant to Nevadans, namely the nuclear dump.
You sure love to make shit up about me. Maybe I should post an article about controversial subjects and then follow it with descriptions of how most of us will be outraged by it, but Archaea will be content sitting in a corner and eating his own diarrhea.
woot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 01:47 AM   #3
Detroitdad
Resident Jackass

Detroitdad is an unknown quantity at this point

They had already asked about Yucca Mountain earlier in the debate, had they not? And what is the deal with questioners doing what exactly what is suggested and then complaining about it later?

As for softballs? One or two for levity is not a problem. More than that is egregious.
Detroitdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 03:37 AM   #4
non sequitur

non sequitur is an unknown quantity at this point

It's not about softballs. CNN, like Fox News, is in the entertainment business. They don't make money unless people watch their shows, and people don't watch their shows unless they're entertaining. Not everything is a conspiracy.
...You've been under attack for days, there's a soldier down, he's wounded, gangrene's setting in, 'Who's used all the penicillin?' 'Oh, Mark Paxson sir, he's got knob rot off of some tart.'" - Gareth Keenan

Last edited by non sequitur; 11-17-2007 at 05:51 PM.
non sequitur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 04:03 AM   #5
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

You seem surprised.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 03:00 PM   #6
DJRoss

DJRoss is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to DJRoss
Default Personally I think it should be required that those...

leading the debates, and sitting on the panels should have their names listed on the screen with their party affiliation, their voting history for the past 3 elections, as well as who they are supporting for President.

To me that is the most disingenuous aspect to these so called debates. If I, a Romney supporter were to lead the debate, would it be fair for me to lob softballs and Mitt all evening while taking kill shots at the rest of the candidates? What about salting the crowd by asking them which way they are leaning right now so I can assure that the crowd is as pro Romney as possible for effect? This kind of thing really is frustrating.

I honestly cannot stand watching these debates. Nobody wants to get down to brass tax and begin hashing out the details. Candidates really don't answer the questions that matter, and the ones they do answer, we already know what their response will be. I say hold the debate in a large venue such as a sports dome or arena. Let people in for free and don't sweat the political makeup of those showing up. Let the questions fly free and clear of any gate keeping nonsense. You could set up a tour of lets say 4 to 6 debates over the course of the Primaries, and make them mandatory for all candidates who are serious about becoming president. No backing out due to scheduling conflicts.

Let the candidates sit comfortably and when questioned stand and deliver. Let the debate run a good two to three hours. Let the questions the public want answered be put into a bingo tumbola and spun around so that whatever comes up is what is asked regardless of how hard the question might be. You don't think this would be entertaining. Please, the ratings would blow away the cardboard crap that passes for a debate today.

Click on image for my card and blog

Last edited by DJRoss; 11-17-2007 at 03:06 PM.
DJRoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 05:07 PM   #7
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJRoss View Post
leading the debates, and sitting on the panels should have their names listed on the screen with their party affiliation, their voting history for the past 3 elections, as well as who they are supporting for President.

To me that is the most disingenuous aspect to these so called debates. If I, a Romney supporter were to lead the debate, would it be fair for me to lob softballs and Mitt all evening while taking kill shots at the rest of the candidates? What about salting the crowd by asking them which way they are leaning right now so I can assure that the crowd is as pro Romney as possible for effect? This kind of thing really is frustrating.

I honestly cannot stand watching these debates. Nobody wants to get down to brass tax and begin hashing out the details. Candidates really don't answer the questions that matter, and the ones they do answer, we already know what their response will be. I say hold the debate in a large venue such as a sports dome or arena. Let people in for free and don't sweat the political makeup of those showing up. Let the questions fly free and clear of any gate keeping nonsense. You could set up a tour of lets say 4 to 6 debates over the course of the Primaries, and make them mandatory for all candidates who are serious about becoming president. No backing out due to scheduling conflicts.

Let the candidates sit comfortably and when questioned stand and deliver. Let the debate run a good two to three hours. Let the questions the public want answered be put into a bingo tumbola and spun around so that whatever comes up is what is asked regardless of how hard the question might be. You don't think this would be entertaining. Please, the ratings would blow away the cardboard crap that passes for a debate today.
I endorse this idea, especially about the moderator having to come clean about his/her political leanings.

Politicians are - as Goatnapper would so eloquently say - string pullers. If a candidate wants my vote, he/she damn well better give me a reason to vote for him/her.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 05:12 PM   #8
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Does tainted, right-leaning journalism from Fox bothers you as well? I am not talking about this issue, but in general.

Which news outlet anywhere is not tainted or biased? They all are.

Except, of course, Pravda, which we all know is The Truth....

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 05:28 PM   #9
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
Does tainted, right-leaning journalism from Fox bothers you as well? I am not talking about this issue, but in general.

Which news outlet anywhere is not tainted or biased? They all are.

Except, of course, Pravda, which we all know is The Truth....
I don't read or rag on CNN or Foxnews much. Most of the coverage is crap.

I actually prefer the BBC.

But the fact that CNN told a student not to ask a relevant question but to ask a softball to make a candidate look good is disturbing. Let the student ask her question, not ask questions which are dumb and irrelevant. I don't see how fox put words into the student's mouth. Perhaps you can enlighten me.

Hillary's stance on the nuclear dump may cause her to lose our few votes. I just wish it had been more highlighted.
Old 11-21-2007, 06:32 AM   #10
NorCal Cat

NorCal Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detroitdad View Post
\

As for softballs? One or two for levity is not a problem. More than that is egregious.
Wow, are you still cluelessly on the Billary Bandwagon? We don't need levity in these debates, damnit. We need real questions, that the candidates are required to answer. Give me a freaking break...diamnonds or pearls?
NorCal Cat is offline   Reply With Quote