cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-23-2007, 02:36 AM   #1
8ballrollin

8ballrollin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Violence trend in Iraq

How long would this trend need to continue for it to become part of the reporting narrative from Iraq? My guess is a year - meaning next June. Then again, good news may not make headlines ever again in Iraq. The die is cast.

"In Baghdad, considered the epicenter of the violence because of its mix of Shi'ites and Sunni Arabs, car bombs had decreased by 67 percent and roadside bombs by 40 percent, he said. There had also been a 28 percent decline in the number of bodies found dumped in the capital's streets.

In Anbar, a former insurgent hotbed where Sunni Arab tribes have joined U.S. forces against al Qaeda, there has been an 82 percent drop in violent deaths.

"These figures show a gradual improvement in controlling the security situation," Khalaf said."

http://www.reuters.com/article/topNe...rpc=22&sp=true
8ballrollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 08:36 PM   #2
JohnnyLingo

JohnnyLingo has a little shameless behaviour in the past

There are many who don't want good news to come from Iraq. Waters, Lebowski, and Cali come to mind. They wouldn't hear it if the networks did report it.

I'm glad to see the situation improving. I believe the Iraqi people do want democracy and can fight for and win it.
JohnnyLingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 08:55 PM   #3
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyLingo View Post
There are many who don't want good news to come from Iraq. Waters, Lebowski, and Cali come to mind. They wouldn't hear it if the networks did report it.

I'm glad to see the situation improving. I believe the Iraqi people do want democracy and can fight for and win it.
Where in the hell did you get that idea?
Old 10-24-2007, 02:13 AM   #4
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
If you don't believe or think exactly as Lingo, you must believe or think the polar opposite as Lingo.

Did I get that right, Lingo?

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 02:31 AM   #5
non sequitur

non sequitur is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

You're wrong if you think liberals are upset that fewer people are dying in Iraq. The legitimacy of our presence in Iraq has nothing to do with body count. The fact that fewer people are dying does nothing to validate our presence there. The war was wrong when we dropped the first bomb on Iraq, and it's still wrong today. It's kind of like when my crabs started to clear up. The fact that the itching subsided did not mean my condition was suddenly a good thing.
...You've been under attack for days, there's a soldier down, he's wounded, gangrene's setting in, 'Who's used all the penicillin?' 'Oh, Mark Paxson sir, he's got knob rot off of some tart.'" - Gareth Keenan
non sequitur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 02:44 AM   #6
woot

woot is on a distinguished road

Quote:

And I'm sure there are a whole bunch of republicans hoping for another terrorist attack, in order to provide an aura of legitimacy around their support for the rape of the constitution. That's the beauty of a 2-party system, and is not a new phenomenon.
woot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 02:49 AM   #7
8ballrollin

8ballrollin is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by woot View Post
And I'm sure there are a whole bunch of republicans hoping for another terrorist attack, in order to provide an aura of legitimacy around their support for the rape of the constitution.
Yes, yes they are. I think it's now core to the party's platform. Like modern day FDRs waiting for Pearl Harbor, right?
8ballrollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 01:54 PM   #8
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8ballrollin View Post
How long would this trend need to continue for it to become part of the reporting narrative from Iraq? My guess is a year - meaning next June. Then again, good news may not make headlines ever again in Iraq. The die is cast.

"In Baghdad, considered the epicenter of the violence because of its mix of Shi'ites and Sunni Arabs, car bombs had decreased by 67 percent and roadside bombs by 40 percent, he said. There had also been a 28 percent decline in the number of bodies found dumped in the capital's streets.

In Anbar, a former insurgent hotbed where Sunni Arab tribes have joined U.S. forces against al Qaeda, there has been an 82 percent drop in violent deaths.

"These figures show a gradual improvement in controlling the security situation," Khalaf said."

http://www.reuters.com/article/topNe...rpc=22&sp=true
That is why I watch Fox. At least their I get two sides of any story and then they let me decide.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 01:59 PM   #9
JohnnyLingo

JohnnyLingo has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
Funny how the King of Twisting Others' Words gets mad when it happens to him.
JohnnyLingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 02:07 AM   #10
BlueK

BlueK is on a distinguished road

Quote:

Then let them fight for it and win it. Good luck guys.
BlueK is offline   Reply With Quote