cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-03-2007, 08:54 PM   #11
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Ronald Reagan had also had training in the form of serving as Governor of California, a good sized country in its own right. He had to deal with Sacramento. He had demonstrated management skills in the political arena, he had been an executive.
He had also been the President of SAG and a GE Spokesman. He wasn't just an actor.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 08:59 PM   #12
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
The person most prepared to be president is John McCain hands down.

But no one wants him.
I like McCain. I would be thrilled if he were nominated, but he's got several problems.

His ability to run his presidential campaign is not a good indicator of his executive ability. His upper-level campaign staff was in shambles and he let it happen. He can't raise money and doesn't have a coherent campaign plan.

He has thumbed his nose at the base of the party for too long and it's come to bite him in the ass. Many people were able to accept him despite McCain-Feingold and the Gang of 14, but his recent actions on the immigration bill put him quite a bit behind.

I still think he'd be a great nominee and ultimately a fine president. I just don't know if he can pull out of his tailspin.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 09:03 PM   #13
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
The person most prepared to be president is John McCain hands down.

But no one wants him.
What executive or managerial experience does McCain have? I'm asking because I thought he's merely served as a Senator.
Old 08-03-2007, 09:20 PM   #14
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
What executive or managerial experience does McCain have? I'm asking because I thought he's merely served as a Senator.
He's managed complex legislation, working with multiple groups, he's managed his own prior presidential run.

He helped run a Annheiser-Busch distributor.

He also told this joke at a fundraiser: "Why is Chelsea Clinton so ugly? Because her father is Janet Reno."
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 11:10 PM   #15
Venkman

Venkman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
He also told this joke at a fundraiser: "Why is Chelsea Clinton so ugly? Because her father is Janet Reno."
LOL, that's awesome. I'm sold.

Seriously, I'm not a big fan of McCain, mostly due to policy differences, but I think he's a good man and would make a great commander in chief. I'd take him in half a heartbeat over any democrat.

My first choice would be Giuliani, but he's a gun controller and that's pretty hard to get past. A pledge of some sort may soothe my concerns, but I don't know.

I think Romney would make a great peace-time President, but I wonder about his ability as commander in chief.
Venkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 11:45 PM   #16
non sequitur

non sequitur is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Ronald Reagan had also had training in the form of serving as Governor of California, a good sized country in its own right. He had to deal with Sacramento. He had demonstrated management skills in the political arena, he had been an executive.
Ronald Reagan was never an executive. And the dude was an absolute disaster as a governor. But he had charisma out his ass. And he had a bold vision. He succeeded as president because he was a strong leader and people would go to battle for him. That's also why Bill Clinton was successful. Because he had charisma and people loved him.
...You've been under attack for days, there's a soldier down, he's wounded, gangrene's setting in, 'Who's used all the penicillin?' 'Oh, Mark Paxson sir, he's got knob rot off of some tart.'" - Gareth Keenan
non sequitur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 11:48 PM   #17
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by non sequitur View Post
Ronald Reagan was never an executive. And the dude was an absolute disaster as a governor. But he had charisma out his ass. And he had a bold vision. He succeeded as president because he was a strong leader and people would go to battle for him. That's also why Bill Clinton was successful. Because he had charisma and people loved him.
Wow, such astute observations are hard to counter. Did Tex invade your body?

Last time I checked being Governnor of California, our most populous state, counts as an executive. Perhaps you didn't like his style, but others did.

Upon measure do you decide he was a disaster? Most I know do not agree. Care to back that up with stats?
Old 08-04-2007, 12:08 AM   #18
non sequitur

Quote:
Wow, such astute observations are hard to counter. Did Tex invade your body?

Last time I checked being Governnor of California, our most populous state, counts as an executive. Perhaps you didn't like his style, but others did.

Upon measure do you decide he was a disaster? Most I know do not agree. Care to back that up with stats?
I grew up in California, and I base my statements on purely anecdotal observations. The people that liked Reagan as governor are typically people that didn't live in California. What kinds of stats are you looking for to back up my statements? He sucked as governor. There are no stats to back that up. It's like asking for stats that prove shit tastes bad. Trust me, it tastes bad. I'm seldom wrong.
...You've been under attack for days, there's a soldier down, he's wounded, gangrene's setting in, 'Who's used all the penicillin?' 'Oh, Mark Paxson sir, he's got knob rot off of some tart.'" - Gareth Keenan
Old 08-04-2007, 12:10 AM   #19
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by non sequitur View Post
I grew up in California, and I base my statements on purely anecdotal observations. The people that liked Reagan as governor are typically people that didn't live in California. What kinds of stats are you looking for to back up my statements? He sucked as governor. There are no stats to back that up. It's like asking for stats that prove shit tastes bad. Trust me, it tastes bad. I'm seldom wrong.
Well the Orange County folks I knew loved him, loved his policies and Senator Laxalt found him very engagin.

Business boomed during his tenure and California grew. What's not to like?
Old 08-04-2007, 12:20 AM   #20
non sequitur

Quote:
Well the Orange County folks I knew loved him, loved his policies and Senator Laxalt found him very engagin.

Business boomed during his tenure and California grew. What's not to like?
People in Orange County loved Reagan for much the same reason that oil executives love George Bush -- you tend to love politicians who are willing to stick their heads two feet up your ass.

BTW, I liked Reagan as President of the United States. He was amazing. But I stand by my statement that he sucked as governor (and I have no stats or evidence to support that statement. It is purely my opinion. Much like my opinion that Salma Hayek has the sexiest boobs on the planet. I can't prove it. You'll just have to trust me that it is true.).