cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-05-2008, 03:27 PM   #1
8ballrollin

8ballrollin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default And thus ends the Vietnam War

Every president from Ike to Bush I severed in WWII, well maybe not Carter, but he did serve in the military. The point remains - they all had a tie to WWII as a generation (and world) defining event. That's a leadership span from '53 to '93.

It's interesting that we only had two baby boomer presidents. BHO was 14 when Saigon fell. He is no more affected by that war than I am. Contrast that with WWII generation – Bob Dole was running for President in 1996!

I’m glad we can get this constant naval-gazing, me first generation, out of the way. Be gone Boomers. I couldn’t stand all of the media last night - from Blitzer to Matthews and Gergan – all viewing this election through the prism on the ’60. Guess what guys?…nobody cares about you and the '60s anymore. And that goes for you too Jesse. You're done.
8ballrollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 03:30 PM   #2
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8ballrollin View Post
I’m glad we can get this constant naval-gazing, me first generation, out of the way. Be gone Boomers. I couldn’t stand all of the media last night - from Blitzer to Matthews and Gergan – all viewing this election through the prism on the ’60. Guess what guys?…nobody cares about you and the '60s anymore. And that goes for you too Jesse. You're done.
My husband said the same thing last night. Good riddance. He thinks that our grandparents may well be the greatest generation, but our parents were simply the most selfish generation.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 03:32 PM   #3
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon View Post
My husband said the same thing last night. Good riddance. He thinks that our grandparents may well be the greatest generation, but our parents were simply the most selfish generation.
Be careful what you wish for....
Old 11-05-2008, 03:56 PM   #4
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Uh, McCain's not a baby boomer.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 03:58 PM   #5
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
McCain's not president, either.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 04:19 PM   #6
8ballrollin

Quote:
Right. See BG's post.
Old 11-05-2008, 04:27 PM   #7
SeattleUte

Quote:
Right. See BG's post.
Your point seems to be that the Baby boomer ethos was defeated yesterday. I think Gergen, et al. are right. I think the baby boomer ethos won yesterday. Yesterday was the end of the Boomer parents' generation.

When are you going to back up all your bald assertions today with some rational, intelligent explanation?

—Paul Auster
Old 11-05-2008, 05:04 PM   #8
8ballrollin

Quote:
Your point seems to be that the Baby boomer ethos was defeated yesterday. I think Gergen, et al. are right. I think the baby boomer ethos won yesterday. Yesterday was the end of the Boomer parents' generation.

When are you going to back up all your bald assertions today with some rational, intelligent explanation?
The ethos of the '60s are canonized; they are the institution now.

My point is that most of my generation and younger see BHO as their candidate and not their parents'. They saw Hillary as the Boomer candidate; the 60s activist; the Democratic establishment candidate.

You're misreading my point. The largest demo for Obama was 18-35 yrds. They don't see this as a win for their parents (Boomers) they see it as *their* victory. The country is moving past the Boomers.
Old 11-05-2008, 05:09 PM   #9
8ballrollin

Quote:
Yesterday was the end of the Boomer parents' generation.
No, unfortunately, that political generation ended in the mid 90s.
Old 11-05-2008, 05:17 PM   #10
SeattleUte

Quote:
The ethos of the '60s are canonized; they are the institution now.

My point is that most of my generation and younger see BHO as their candidate and not their parents'. They saw Hillary as the Boomer candidate; the 60s activist; the Democratic establishment candidate.

You're misreading my point. The largest demo for Obama was 18-35 yrds. They don't see this as a win for their parents (Boomers) they see it as *their* victory. The country is moving past the Boomers.
It's not unusual for younger generations to think that the world revolves around them, and that history began with them. As always, they are wrong in this perception. Obama was born in 1961. The arbitrary cut-off for the baby boomers is 1960, eight months before he was born. He most empahtically represents the "naval gazing" boomer ethos. His pals are former weathermen and a radical black minister. For better or worse, he's the apotheosis of everything the '60's represents, clear down to his pledge to get us out of Iraq by a date certain. Of course Boomers overwhelmingly supported him everywhere.

Get over yourself. I'm not a huge fan of much of the '60's or Boomers, but they brought us the technological revolution, a lot of good pharmaceuticals and medical technology, heightened awareness of environmental issues, and all the good things that exist in their children.

—Paul Auster