cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-09-2006, 03:18 AM   #51
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusnik11
Questions:

What does a gay couple getting married do to your family?
Nothing that I can think of. I personally could care less. I've never been able to get worked up about it.

Quote:
What does it do to the family in general?
This one is fairly simple from the LDS point of view, using the Proclamation to the World as the simplest form of what the church teaches about "the family." My understanding is that family should be the fundamental unit of society. The brethren have declared that children should be in families with a loving mother and father who are married to each other. What does gay marriage do to the family in general? The same thing that many heterosexuals have done to damage the institution of marriage. It changes the definition of family to something very different from what the Lord apparently desires.

Quote:
How does it attack the traditional family?
I think the answer is the same as the one above. Gay marriage changes the definition of family from what the First Presidency has declared to be the Lord's definition.

Now, I have never heard a good argument against gay marriage that didn't involve religious belief. In my opinion this is why the church is fighting a losing battle on this issue. I certainly don't expect non LDS to care what our leadership has to say on the matter. And, having lived in an area that was quite anti-Mormon I know what it feels like when a group that believes differently from you wants you to conform to their line of thinking. Like I said earlier I personally don't have any strong feelings about gay marriage. But at some point I have to decide whether or not I believe the brethren are inspired when it comes to this issue. If I decide that they are then they've made their feelings quite clear regarding marriage.

Last edited by SteelBlue; 06-09-2006 at 03:21 AM.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote