cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-28-2008, 04:46 PM   #16
Venkman

Venkman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
Please walk me through how gay marriage would "weaken the institution of marriage" as well as how it affects the role of bringing up the next generation.

Heterosexual marriages are already ending in divorce at record high numbers. The single parent/divorce phenomenon is something that heterosexuals coined and minted ages ago. Nobody does divorce, adultery, and child abuse better than heterosexuals. Also, i would venture to guess that somewhere in the lines of about 100% of homosexuals were reared as children in heterosexual households.

Are you saying that allowing gays to marry and adopt children will somehow skew those numbers in the negative? How is that even mathematically possible given the ratio of hetero to homosexual in this country? Can't homosexuals raise children to be loving, law abiding, etc?

Also, gays can already adopt children and be parents to them. The argument that gay marriage will have a negative impact on child rearing is another scaremongering tactic.
Either you're just not trying to understand the argument or I'm not explaining it well, probably the latter. So I won't keep trying. I referenced a Stanley Kurtz piece on a different thread - he has other works on the linkage, you could google him. Anyway, it makes sense to me and it has nothing to do with the numbers of gay marriages or the fact that marriage is already suffering, which I have acknowledged. That's fine if you don't agree - I really am not that passionate the issue anyway, so I'm gonna drop it.