cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-10-2008, 03:29 PM   #1
Levin

Levin is on a distinguished road
Default I sick of unfair treatment of Palin

Whatever you may think of her policies, there's no doubt the media and the arrogants treat her like crap, with snarkiness and emphasis in places they ignore on Biden (and of course Obama). Just a recent roundup from ten minutes of reading this morning:

http://www.slate.com/blogs/blogs/xxfactor/

I don't give a crap that they didn't retouch her face, but Newsweek would NEVER have a closeup photo like that of Biden, Obama, or Hillary. Most of the time, newsweeklys have the class to have positive portraits of candidates on their covers (unless it's George Bush, think his Person of the Year picture on Time, which actually turned out to be positive b/c it showed him to be a tough, bull-riden ranchhand at a time when the nation kind of liked that about him).

Next:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/10/us/10trooper.html?hp

This story purposely spins the facts to make them more negative than they are. Bottom line, in any event, is that there's nothing wrong with pressing for the firing of an insubordinate, abusive Trooper who made death threats against the executive's family. Damn I hate the New York Times (but love their Science and Architecture sections).

Next:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...topnews&sub=AR

This one leaves me speechless. But not really: so it's newsworthy that people lobbied for Palin's selection, that some behavior was changed to make her selection more attractive. HAVE PEOPLE FORGOTTEN THE JOCKEYING THE MEDIA, THE PUNDITS, AND OBAMA HIMSELF DID IN THE RUN UP TO HIS DECISION TO RUN FOR PRESIDENT? This is ridiculous.

Even SoonerCoug should see the phoniness and foul disdain coursing through these reports (the media and the arrogants) for Palin. But I doubt he'll be able to; those who hate Palin can't see past their own hate.
"Now I say that I know the meaning of my life: 'To live for God, for my soul.' And this meaning, in spite of its clearness, is mysterious and marvelous. Such is the meaning of all existence." Levin, Anna Karenina, Part 8, Chapter 12
Levin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 03:45 PM   #2
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levin View Post
Whatever you may think of her policies, there's no doubt the media and the arrogants treat her like crap, with snarkiness and emphasis in places they ignore on Biden (and of course Obama). Just a recent roundup from ten minutes of reading this morning:

http://www.slate.com/blogs/blogs/xxfactor/

I don't give a crap that they didn't retouch her face, but Newsweek would NEVER have a closeup photo like that of Biden, Obama, or Hillary. Most of the time, newsweeklys have the class to have positive portraits of candidates on their covers (unless it's George Bush, think his Person of the Year picture on Time, which actually turned out to be positive b/c it showed him to be a tough, bull-riden ranchhand at a time when the nation kind of liked that about him).

Next:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/10/us/10trooper.html?hp

This story purposely spins the facts to make them more negative than they are. Bottom line, in any event, is that there's nothing wrong with pressing for the firing of an insubordinate, abusive Trooper who made death threats against the executive's family. Damn I hate the New York Times (but love their Science and Architecture sections).

Next:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...topnews&sub=AR

This one leaves me speechless. But not really: so it's newsworthy that people lobbied for Palin's selection, that some behavior was changed to make her selection more attractive. HAVE PEOPLE FORGOTTEN THE JOCKEYING THE MEDIA, THE PUNDITS, AND OBAMA HIMSELF DID IN THE RUN UP TO HIS DECISION TO RUN FOR PRESIDENT? This is ridiculous.

Even SoonerCoug should see the phoniness and foul disdain coursing through these reports (the media and the arrogants) for Palin. But I doubt he'll be able to; those who hate Palin can't see past their own hate.
Most people don't read those publications. None of them make any money, that's for sure. You and I are the exception.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 04:12 PM   #3
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

I agree that Palin is getting her ovaries gladhandled by the media. But I think it goes back to my recent fireside chat with Tex re: McCain's disfunctional arms. If you tote something out as a positive, the other side will attack it as a negative. That is how politics are played.

Since day 1, Palin has been referring to herself as a hockey mom, she uses her baby as a prop when she gets off airplanes, she has been using this hokey "I'm one of you...an average Joe Six Pack" schitck. The strategy seems to be, in part, an appeal to voters using either a bit of subtle sexuality (for male voters) or common gender appeal (for women voters).

So if your job is to sink her campaign, what would you do? Well, that is the easy part...

Sex appeal: focus on her physical flaws
Joe Six Pack: focus on the fact that most Joe Six packs are idiots and should not be VP of the USA.
The Ovary Vote: attack her as a bad mom

What is the big shocker here?

Truthfully, I didnt even think she looked bad on the cover of that magazine, so I dont understand why people were offended by the lack of airbrushing.

The bottom line in all of this is that Palin has ultimately done more damage to her candidacy than anyone else. Her high point was her speech at the RNC...an uncontested scripted talk given in front of a home crowd that was desperate for something to get excited about. Since then, she has basically floundered to the point that if she simply doesnt screw up, it is viewed as a victory.

If McCain/Palin fails, it won't be because the media didnt airbrush her face. It will simply be because she was the wrong pick. McCain rolled the dice by picking her....looks like he came up craps. But still a gutsy move.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 04:34 PM   #4
Levin

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
I agree that Palin is getting her ovaries gladhandled by the media. But I think it goes back to my recent fireside chat with Tex re: McCain's disfunctional arms. If you tote something out as a positive, the other side will attack it as a negative. That is how politics are played.

Since day 1, Palin has been referring to herself as a hockey mom, she uses her baby as a prop when she gets off airplanes, she has been using this hokey "I'm one of you...an average Joe Six Pack" schitck. The strategy seems to be, in part, an appeal to voters using either a bit of subtle sexuality (for male voters) or common gender appeal (for women voters).

So if your job is to sink her campaign, what would you do? Well, that is the easy part...

Sex appeal: focus on her physical flaws
Joe Six Pack: focus on the fact that most Joe Six packs are idiots and should not be VP of the USA.
The Ovary Vote: attack her as a bad mom

What is the big shocker here?

Truthfully, I didnt even think she looked bad on the cover of that magazine, so I dont understand why people were offended by the lack of airbrushing.

The bottom line in all of this is that Palin has ultimately done more damage to her candidacy than anyone else. Her high point was her speech at the RNC...an uncontested scripted talk given in front of a home crowd that was desperate for something to get excited about. Since then, she has basically floundered to the point that if she simply doesnt screw up, it is viewed as a victory.

If McCain/Palin fails, it won't be because the media didnt airbrush her face. It will simply be because she was the wrong pick. McCain rolled the dice by picking her....looks like he came up craps. But still a gutsy move.

This post is a classic example of my point: you describe how to bring down Palin and say we shouldn't be surprised that these tactics are being followed. But your analysis ignores the fact that the media is the one doing it, which was my point. Obama has raised enough money to post his own unflattering pictures, and type his own skewed articles, about Palin. He doesn't need Newsweek, the NYT, or the Post to do it for him.

But keep congratulating the media for knowing just exactly how to bring Palin down.

The loss of professionalism among the media is a travesty. It started with cable news and is spreading to print. We will all be the worse off. We already are.
"Now I say that I know the meaning of my life: 'To live for God, for my soul.' And this meaning, in spite of its clearness, is mysterious and marvelous. Such is the meaning of all existence." Levin, Anna Karenina, Part 8, Chapter 12
Old 10-10-2008, 04:35 PM   #5
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
So if your job is to sink her campaign, what would you do?
Is that the media's job?

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 04:44 PM   #6
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
The bottom line in all of this is that Palin has ultimately done more damage to her candidacy than anyone else.

Bingo.
Old 10-10-2008, 04:47 PM   #7
Ma'ake

Ma'ake is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
Is that the media's job?
The FFs envisioned the press as an important "4th branch" to keep tabs on the other three. Why shouldn't the press scrutinize this newcomer, especially given her track record of incoherence & corruption.
Ma'ake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 04:48 PM   #8
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ma'ake View Post
The FFs envisioned the press as an important "4th branch" to keep tabs on the other three. Why shouldn't the press scrutinize this newcomer, especially given her track record of incoherence & corruption.
Scrutinize? Or "sink"?

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 04:50 PM   #9
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levin View Post
This post is a classic example of my point: you describe how to bring down Palin and say we shouldn't be surprised that these tactics are being followed. But your analysis ignores the fact that the media is the one doing it, which was my point. Obama has raised enough money to post his own unflattering pictures, and type his own skewed articles, about Palin. He doesn't need Newsweek, the NYT, or the Post to do it for him.

But keep congratulating the media for knowing just exactly how to bring Palin down.

The loss of professionalism among the media is a travesty. It started with cable news and is spreading to print. We will all be the worse off. We already are.
Sure the media has played a huge part in this.

I guess you think the media is objective? What planet do you live on?

Here is another bombshell for you....the Soviet newspaper, Pravda......it wasn't ALL The Truth.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 04:51 PM   #10
Levin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ma'ake View Post
This theory depends on the integrity and equanimity of the media. I'd have no problem if Bidens testes were handled in a similar manner as Palin's ovaries.