cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-10-2008, 02:27 PM   #1
tooblue

tooblue is an unknown quantity at this point
Default The wolf in sheep's clothing ...

Perhaps we should be wary of the meteoric rise of would be saviors who have cavorted with revolutionaries? What’s most alarming is that fear is in the drivers seat in this election. Fear of a curmudgeon nominee and his populace people eater VP are driving people to an embrace with charisma wrapped in neatly tailored wool. Forget that upon closer inspection the suit is ill fitted. Ignore the men behind the curtain assembling clever ravenous instruments. The howling is dancing music. Sway, swoon and twist the night away with your latest fling. It will be over soon … very soon.

Times like these -- a crisis of this magnitude -- is the perfect breeding ground for Fascism.
tooblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 02:42 PM   #2
Clark Addison

Clark Addison is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooblue View Post
Fear of a curmudgeon nominee and his populace people eater VP are driving people to an embrace with charisma wrapped in neatly tailored wool. Forget that upon closer inspection the suit is ill fitted. Ignore the men behind the curtain assembling clever ravenous instruments. The howling is dancing music. Sway, swoon and twist the night away with your latest fling. It will be over soon … very soon.

Times like these -- a crisis of this magnitude -- is the perfect breeding ground for Fascism.
I completely disagree with the premise that people are turning to Obama because of a fear of McCain. I have heard of a ton of people, including some on this board, who say that they are voting for McCain because they don't like Obama. I can't remember hearing from anyone who says that they don't like Obama much, but they are voting for him because they hate or fear McCain. And really, this whole argument sounds nice but means nothing. You could reverse the names and it would mean exactly the same thing. There's no evidence that either McCain or Obama has nefarious designs or is seeking for some sort of Fascist state.
Clark Addison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 03:38 PM   #3
All-American

All-American is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to All-American

When Sulla seized control of Rome, one of the things he did to reform the constitution was fix the cursus honorum, establish minimum ages for the offices, and require a minimum of 10 years between magistracies. The idea was to keep any future Gracchus or Drussus from suddenly shooting up the ranks and upsetting the mos maiorum.

It didn't work. The reforms that did manage to last more than a decade after Sulla died merely set the stage for Pompey and Caesar.
Old 10-10-2008, 06:19 PM   #4
tooblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by All-American View Post
When Sulla seized control of Rome, one of the things he did to reform the constitution was fix the cursus honorum, establish minimum ages for the offices, and require a minimum of 10 years between magistracies. The idea was to keep any future Gracchus or Drussus from suddenly shooting up the ranks and upsetting the mos maiorum.

It didn't work. The reforms that did manage to last more than a decade after Sulla died merely set the stage for Pompey and Caesar.
Now consider the stage the Bush Administration has set for the next administration. Future leaders may promise to scale back the powers the executive office now employs but in reality ultimate power corrupts.

Last edited by tooblue; 10-11-2008 at 02:24 PM.
Old 10-10-2008, 06:22 PM   #5
tooblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Addison View Post
I completely disagree with the premise that people are turning to Obama because of a fear of McCain. I have heard of a ton of people, including some on this board, who say that they are voting for McCain because they don't like Obama. I can't remember hearing from anyone who says that they don't like Obama much, but they are voting for him because they hate or fear McCain. And really, this whole argument sounds nice but means nothing. You could reverse the names and it would mean exactly the same thing. There's no evidence that either McCain or Obama has nefarious designs or is seeking for some sort of Fascist state.
I am one who has stated that I will not vote for McCain out of fear ... fear of his gunslinger tendencies. I'm not suggesting Obama has nefarious designs, but rather those that would put him in power have nefarious designs. Why is he so desperate to end the war in Iraq and bring the troops home?

Last edited by tooblue; 10-10-2008 at 06:25 PM.
Old 10-10-2008, 06:28 PM   #6
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooblue View Post
Why is he so desperate to end the war in Iraq and bring the troops home?
Once he becomes President and has a deeper responsibility he will no longer be so hawkish about ending the war. Many of the annoying details that are easy to ignore when an unpopular war is a key rhetorical tool will suddenly loom much larger than 80% of the polity cares to understand.

He will go toward the middle once he becomes President. I do agree with you concern about what he will do with the increased executive powers that Bush's administration has extended.